Removing number from the "Track #" field

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Flumse

Removing number from the "Track #" field

Post by Flumse »

Hey

I have tried searching but I get swarmed with hits.

I might have used a bad mask who knows, but I have a problem I hope to get solved here.

I have converted some FLAC files to mp3, on som of the converted files I cannot remove the number in the "Track #" field, it seems like
they are hardcoded into the mp3 file.

I can change it fine, but when I remove the new number it will revert to the old "hardcoded" one, even the field was completely blank when I edited the file.

I cannot use a simple ALT code like a hardcoded blanc space (ALT+255).

I annoys me a lot, since I have no use for that hardcoded tracknumber.

I just converted 250 tracks from various albums, and about 35 of them come out with a hardcoded track number even I removed them first with all files tagged, and then one by one.

I am using version 3.1.0.1256 of MM if that have anything to do with it.
Peke

Re: Removing number from the "Track #" field

Post by Peke »

Try Tools -> Advanced Tag Management -> Clear Tags and then Tools -> Advanced Tag Management -> Sync tag, that should fix problems, also You can use Tools -> Scripts -> Auto Increments of track #'s to rewrite new Track#.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Flumse

Post by Flumse »

Peke wrote:Try Tools -> Advanced Tag Management -> Clear Tags and then Tools -> Advanced Tag Management -> Sync tag, that should fix problems, also You can use Tools -> Scripts -> Auto Increments of track #'s to rewrite new Track#.
Gave it a go, but it did not help one bit. Your last option is not useable as I do not want the tunes to have a tracknumber included.

As an example I have 3 tunes with 38 Special. When I ripped them they had individual tracknumbers, I removed them and now all 3 files have 38 as track number. Same thing happends with 2 Unlimited, all files get track number 2.

I think it could be a bug in MM with files that have numbers as the first part of the title or filename as it also happends to Paul Simon 50 ways to leave your lover, Nena 99 red balloons, Prince 1999, Alphabeat 10k nights of thunder and Neneh Cherry 7 seconds.

I do not want those to have tracknumbers as I only have a few tunes with those artists and no albums at all.

I must admit it annoys me quite a bit. I got several stupid remarks last time I let the Partymode run at a party.

It works well with all other than those tunes with numbers in the title or filename.

I have lastest verison of MM with a gold license.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I believe the issue is that MediaMonkey doesn't update tags when a tag is emptied. Others have complained about this as well and I'm not sure if this is fixed yet in the latest release.
Flumse

Post by Flumse »

Yesterday I tried something else, I deleted the library and added my music folder to a new library, as I read somewhere that editing in "My Computer" node and not the Library node could maybe be the cause of problems. Up till yesterday I had not used the Library funktion, I
had planned to delete and readd when I was done with my filesorting and tagging.

What I got out of that, was that I screwed up tags in most of my albums where I had a folder.jpg in the root of the album folder.

Most files in an album folder would have another identical image added, I guess it added the folder.jpg another time, then I went through a couple of thousand files and removed the extra image, that only did things worse, now it seemed that I removed both images from the tag plus the folder.jpg.

I did all my tagging and selecting in the Library node and now I have several thousand files without album art. Now this annoys me more than I care to think of, as I stretched pretty far to get good quality images for album art and now I have lost it for all albums.

The funny thing is that MM never touched folders where I had only some tunes from an album or tunes from several albums but no complete albums and no folder.jpg. I chosed not to have folder.jpg unless it was a complete album.

I never touched the default setting for the Library. It looked ok to me when I took a peek, so why fix something that looks like it is working.

So now I sit here feeling quite annoyed, no actually I am pissed, that all my hard footwork to get a nice albumart is wasted and I have to do it all over again.

I am not impressed about the autotagging feature of MM, Amazon in many cases have crappy images or at times I do not even get an image when using Amazon. So what I got from handpicking images from various sources is loss of time spend.

The only good thing is that it did not delete the tunes, so at least I do not have to rerip those CD's another time.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Strange, if you remove only 1 of the 2 images it shouldn't remove the other. I've never experienced that happening to me and I often do the same process. Are the folder.jpg files still in the album folders or are they deleted? Check the Recycle Bin in that case and see if you can restore from there.
Flumse

Post by Flumse »

Lowlander wrote:Strange, if you remove only 1 of the 2 images it shouldn't remove the other. I've never experienced that happening to me and I often do the same process. Are the folder.jpg files still in the album folders or are they deleted? Check the Recycle Bin in that case and see if you can restore from there.
Ok, if you do the same process, maybe you can tell what causes it, as it seems like a bug to me that MM adds another albumart.
Is it a setting somewhere that I have overlooked?

I did look in the Recycle Bin, not one image there, and that was just after I discovered it.

I still havent found a solution for the messed up trackfield.
Rednroll

Post by Rednroll »

For the Tags Goto Tools>Options then select "Tags & Playlists" located in the Library field. Make sure "Update Tags when editing properties" is checked. I would additionally check "Modify Timestamp when updating Tags".

Another thing to check is to make sure your media files do not have Write protection enabled on them.

Goto Windows Explorer. Select ALL the files, then Right Click and select "Properties". In the "General" Tab make sure "Read-Only" is unchecked for all the files and then Click "Ok" to apply the changes.

If you're having trouble editing the TAG info in MM due to a bug or whatever reason, then just use Windows Explorer because it's very simple to edit ID3 tags within Windows Explorer.

Again Goto Windows Explorer. Select ALL the files, then Right Click and select "Properties".
Click the "Summary" Tab. Click the "Advanced" button. If you want ALL the track numbers removed from all the selected files, then just Click in the "Track Number" value field and make that field blank. Then Click "Apply". This will erase ALL the track numbers to all the files which you have selected at the same time.

Now to see the changes that you made, so they appear in MM. In MM...Select the folder on your computer in which the files you changed are located. Right Click on that Folder and select "Add/Rescan Tracks to the Library. MM will then Rescan the ID3 tag information that you changed and update that info into it's library.
Flumse

Post by Flumse »

Thanks for the input, I will try your angle out, but to be honest I do not have much faith left. If this do not work I guess I will have to live with it, even it annoys me a lot, afterall it is not like it make MM unuseable :)

I still struggle to retrieve all my albumart, and I fear for the next try, but this time I will make a small library with a few albums before I apply changes to all my files. I just cannot see myself retrieving albumart for the 3. time.
malachisecretspy

Post by malachisecretspy »

to fix this deselect infer track properties from filenames in the tools / options / library menu of mm.just infer properties from tags themselves.worked for me