Stupid Monkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

mitchjm

Stupid Monkey

Post by mitchjm »

MM has worked fine for me up till now. I was getting that '400' error and installed that 3.1.1 update that was referenced in the other thread. That corrected that problem.

My other problem that remains unsolved is that MM has developed a nasty habit of reverting back to original tag data after I've changed it. After several attempts, it might save the album title to one track and ignore the rest. I would tag en masse 10 tracks for something like title or artist. I would click ok and see the bar at the bottom saying 10 tracks to be tagged.. then 9.. etc. Changes appear on the panel, but soon as I click on the first one, all of the changes disappear. Only when I tag tracks individually that MM might decide to keep one or two of the changes, if any.

And another funny thing is that MM seems to forget that there's a folder.jpg in the album folder. I'll add the image to the folder, then select that image to add to all tracks. They appear briefly, then disappear when I click on an individual track. However, my Sonos see's the image as well as another program called 'Toe Tag'.

I never had a problem before and haven't been doing anything differently. What gives??
Lowlander

Re: Stupid Monkey

Post by Lowlander »

Are you tagging in the My Computer or Library node? What file types are you having troubles with?
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

Lowlander wrote:Are you tagging in the My Computer or Library node? What file types are you having troubles with?
My Computer. Pretty much all of them - changing or adding content. Most noticeable when you try multiple tags at once.

One revision to my previous post - I've been doing all of the editing from a folder on my HDD before moving the folder to the NAS drive.
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

Would this matter? I noticed that on the website (classical.com) from where I d/l these from, that special characters were used in some of the titles. That translated into gibberish in the track and file names - dashes, etc. Could the special characters (like é, ê, etc.) still be embedded in the tag and would that cause a problem? Just guessing..
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Some users report issue when editing tracks in the My Computer node. I'm not sure why these issues happen though.

You could try to send a copy of a track that shows in gibberish to support, it might give some insights on what might be the issue. MediaMonkey itself should support non-standard characters.
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

Lowlander wrote:Some users report issue when editing tracks in the My Computer node. I'm not sure why these issues happen though.

You could try to send a copy of a track that shows in gibberish to support, it might give some insights on what might be the issue. MediaMonkey itself should support non-standard characters.
Here's an example: Orsú spicciati presto would end up looking like this Ors+¦ spicciati presto as the file name, etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does Classical.com name it's files Ors+¦ spicciati presto?

Remember that file names are the name the file itself has, whereas most media programs use the tags to display track information in their software. Filenames and tags are two independent things.

Does turning off Infer Track Properties under Tools > Options > Library make any difference when you scan in tracks again?
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

Lowlander wrote:Does Classical.com name it's files Ors+¦ spicciati presto?

Remember that file names are the name the file itself has, whereas most media programs use the tags to display track information in their software. Filenames and tags are two independent things.

Does turning off Infer Track Properties under Tools > Options > Library make any difference when you scan in tracks again?
It comes as a 'zip' file. So, I'm guessing that the zip utility is having trouble with the special characters. The first example is using Win RaR and this is what happened with WinZip: 06-Don_Giovanni__K__527-Orsú_spicciati_presto.wma. Weird..

I don't see the option you're talking about there.
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

I tried editing another set of tracks already on the NAS drive. I even tried editing the filenames, which were the only changes that remained. The 'Artist', 'Album', 'Genre', 'Composer' and 'Comment' changes all disappeared. My Sonos still see's the image, by default, but the track title comes up '01-Track.wma', whereas, according to MM, the track name is simply 'Track'.
Flumse

Post by Flumse »

Just a thought, have you fiddled with the library options?

I just learned by doing, that the library setting can have disasterous consequenses, and that real men do not take backups, but they cry a lot.

I guess my next buy will be a terrabyte HD for backup purposes.
sam.v.60

Post by sam.v.60 »

bonjour,
mitchjm , il faut que ton DD de nas soit formater en UFS si tu ne veux pas d'erreur d'ecritures.
bye
mitchjm

Post by mitchjm »

Flumse wrote:Just a thought, have you fiddled with the library options?

I just learned by doing, that the library setting can have disasterous consequenses, and that real men do not take backups, but they cry a lot.

I guess my next buy will be a terrabyte HD for backup purposes.
The only feature I've really used of that is 're-scan tracks' to Library. There's something going on with the 'tagging'. I've never had a problem until a short time ago when I had the 'auto-tag from web' problem, being discussed on some threads here. I downloaded the two files from that one post and that problem was corrected. However, my 'tagging' problem remains.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

mitchjm wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Does turning off Infer Track Properties under Tools > Options > Library make any difference when you scan in tracks again?
I don't see the option you're talking about there.
It's the first option on that screen in MediaMonkey.

In any case it would probably be a good thing to send one of these files with weird characters to support for analysis.