Remove/add playlists from portable device in treeview

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Onweerwolf

Remove/add playlists from portable device in treeview

Post by Onweerwolf »

I own an iPod Nano and use MM to sync it automatically with a selection of (auto)playlists.

In the treeview you can see which playlists are currently synced to the portable device and there's also the option to remove a playlist. However this does not work because the playlist will still be flagged in options/configuration of portable device.

If you have a lot of playlists it takes a considerable amount of time to cycle through them when you want to remove one from the portable device.

Secondly I also want a playlist that I add to the portable device via right click in the treeview to be flagged in the configuration for autosync so that it will always be synched.

So I would like the possibility to remove and add playlists from a portable device via the treeview.
Onweerwolf

Re: Remove/add playlists from portable device in treeview

Post by Onweerwolf »

Nearly one year since I posted this so I thought I'd give it a bump with the new releases being worked on.

Anyone else think this would be a handy feature?
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I am bumping this again because I still firmly believe that this would be very useful. :cry:
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Onweerwolf wrote:In the treeview you can see which playlists are currently synced to the portable device and there's also the option to remove a playlist.
Hi Onweerwolf,

I think there's confusion about which playlists your talking about.
I don't have an iPod, but I gess you're talking about playlists on the iPod, when you browse the device in the treeview.

If it's the case, these playlists were copied to the device when synchronizing, but they are static and have no relation with the library. This explains why deleting them has no effect on source playlists (in library).

I know MM remembers which tracks has been synchronized, but not which playlists (I think so).

Forgive me if I'm out of track...

Eyal
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Eyal wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:In the treeview you can see which playlists are currently synced to the portable device and there's also the option to remove a playlist.
Hi Onweerwolf,
Hi! Thanks fro responding! :D
I think there's confusion about which playlists your talking about.
I don't have an iPod, but I gess you're talking about playlists on the iPod, when you browse the device in the treeview.
Those are the ones.
If it's the case, these playlists were copied to the device when synchronizing, but they are static and have no relation with the library. This explains why deleting them has no effect on source playlists (in library).
I do not want deleting them having any effect on the source playlists, i just want them to delete from the iPod AND aditionally I want that deleting them deflags them in the sync list so they won't be resynched next time I synch my device.
I know MM remembers which tracks has been synchronized, but not which playlists (I think so).
Yeah it does. In fact: I have only been synching playlist to my iPod, never just tracks.

Currently if I want to change the content of my iPod (and keep this change during next syncs) I need to go to the device properties and scroll my way through thousands of playlists in an exceptionally small window which is highly annoying.

Imo, it should be very easy to program it such that a right click on a playlist gives a menu entry to add that playlist to the sync list and a right click on a playlist already synched to the device gives a menu entry to delete that playlist from the device.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

OK. Now I understand better the situation.
You are right, MM should have Properties for playlists, the same way it does for tracks.

How about this:
  • Creating in MM a new empty playlist named "To Synch" (or any other name) in \Playlists node.
  • Drag/move (one at a time) all playlists to be synchronized to the "To Sync" playlist, thus creating nested sub-playlists.
    If you don't want to move them, you can copy them instead: select a playlist -> Copy, then select the "To Sync" playlist -> Paste.
  • Now instead of auto-synchronizing hundreds of playlists, you only need to auto-synchronize the "To Sync" playlist.
You get the picture. This setup let you play with your playlists in the main \Playlists node, is more easier than ticking checkmarks in a small list.

Side effect? I'm not sure if MM will copy nested playlists "names" as individual pl to the device, but all tracks will.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

That's an interesting idea, but not really a solution because instead of flagging a certain playlist I would need to copy a certain playlist which takes even more time to do.

Backwards it would be faster because you can just delete the playlist now and it will be removed from the ipod.

The thing is however that if i update playlist X (the original) I would then need to think about updating playlist X(copy) (the synched playlist) as well which will be really annoying.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

I'd like to see nested playlist support for iPods as well. When you have a certain amount of playlists, the ability to have nested playlists (basically "sub-playlists") saves so much time. Please MM, we're waiting!
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I think it's best to keep different wishes in different threads though. :wink:
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

JohnL wrote:I'd like to see nested playlist support for iPods as well. When you have a certain amount of playlists, the ability to have nested playlists (basically "sub-playlists") saves so much time. Please MM, we're waiting!
As far as I know not all iPods support this (I think only nanos do..)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

So, not be annoying or something but i'd really like to see this happening in MM and I don't think it would be very hard to implement either.

However, I get the feeling that posting wishes on the forum is a bit useless. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

If the developers are indeed reading this forum do they compile the wishes somewhere where the users can see them so they know the devs are considering them/working on them?

I'd just like to know if my wish is going to happen sometime in the future. :D
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:So, not be annoying or something but i'd really like to see this happening in MM and I don't think it would be very hard to implement either.

However, I get the feeling that posting wishes on the forum is a bit useless. Please correct me if i'm wrong.

If the developers are indeed reading this forum do they compile the wishes somewhere where the users can see them so they know the devs are considering them/working on them?

Wishes are tracked via Mantis. Moderators and developers who feel the feature is adequately explained and popular enough can add bugs and new features to the tracker.

Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:So, not be annoying or something but i'd really like to see this happening in MM and I don't think it would be very hard to implement either.

Wishes are tracked via Mantis. Moderators and developers who feel the feature is adequately explained and popular enough can add bugs and new features to the tracker.
Thanks. So how do I learn if a certain wish is added to Mantis?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:

Thanks. So how do I learn if a certain wish is added to Mantis?
Its open to the public. Search it: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

But how does it get from here to there? And if the devs decide that it doesn't need to be there is there any way to find out?