Tagging help (Search Sites)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Wiki list of these sites or new Forum topic?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:06 pm

Wiki list
36%
New Forum Topic
27%
Both
27%
Naither this topic is enough
9%

Total votes: 11

k_r_eriksson

Re: Tagging help (Search Sites)

Post by k_r_eriksson »

This one is for swedish music
http://www.slba.se/slbaweb/index.jsp

Good site for old music ('50, '60)
http://www.popmusicinfo.com/
ObsessiveTagger

Post by ObsessiveTagger »

I don't know how difficult this would be but would it be possible for anyone to write a script that would allow one to auto tag using the iTunes store. There are some album titles, like soundtracks, of which none of the other sources agree with the iTunes store word for word and character for character. For example, nobody would agree with iTunes that the album's title is "Rocky IV (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". The closest I could find would be "Rocky IV: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" courtesy of Amazon. I know this is being really obsessive but it would make things so much easier. It's unbelievable how much these servers disagree on metadata and it causes a huge mess. Thank you!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Every time someone works out how, Apple changes the system to break it. I once wrote a script to do this but never will again because it's simply not worth my time rewriting it every few months. Sorry, blame Apple! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Industrialpope

Post by Industrialpope »

regarding the apple store, isn't most of it's info pulled from the gracenote database? Gracenote forbids it's clients from using other databases for lookups when they have a contract with them.

also what site does WMP (windows media player) use these days? I thought it was allmusic but i'm not sure these days.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I'm pretty sure Apple sources their own artwork, as they encrypt it specially and make it incredibly hard to access. If it was just from Gracenote, they wouldn't be so protective.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

they more likely do trixmoto.
they made an agreement with the record companys to try and protect the copyrights of the albums they sale.
and since the album covers are made by the record companys they are also part of the copyright for the songs.

most don't mind the album covers being used because its a form of PR. but apple being who they are try to comply with their contract to the companys.

:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Here's a thought that has been nagging me for some time.

I would say that taken as a whole, Mediamonkey users are probably pretty good with their tagging.
So it seems like a waste that every user has to start from scratch with his tagging, hunting and
digging for hard-to-find information when other MM users may already have done the job.

Why not set up a metadata-sharing site exclusively for MM users? Maybe a feature that's limited
to MM Gold users? It would then be possible to search for a song/artist in that database and
pick exactly the fields you want. This would be particularly useful for the "difficult" fields to
populate, such as original year and composer/lyricist - and "genre" if like me you want the
genre to be defined specifically on a song-by-song basis.

MusicBrainz attempts to do something like that, but unfortunately it can't be "parsed" to
fill in all tagging fields automatically.

I know that music companies are ridiculously protective of their data, which is why I suggest
a CLOSED community reserved for MM Gold users. For example Collectorz.com does something
very similar with their Moviecollector program.

What do you all think? Is this wishful thinking?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This has been suggested in the past. A few months ago I had a prolonged email conversation with Jiri discussing how we thought this could maybe work. There are a lot of issues to consider, but it is still something I'm interested in working on. Unfortunately there just aren't enough hours in the day at the moment! Anyone with ideas, please come forward with them. :)
IndustrialPope

Post by IndustrialPope »

do we need another music database? there's so many already and another one just for mediamonkey has a very small installed userbase. Musicbrainz and Discogs are moving at a glacial speed when it comes to approval of changes to the database, imagine at what speed a mediamonkey db moves.
Zeke129

Post by Zeke129 »

http://www.metal-archives.com/ is great for, well, metal. Obviously.
The interface is clean and consistent, people get the info for new albums up nearly instantaneously, and they almost always have lyrics and album art available.

I'd love to be able to automatically tag from this site but I have no idea where to begin.
civicguy

Post by civicguy »

http://www.chinesealbumart.com for Chinese album art
ObsessiveTagger

Post by ObsessiveTagger »

Now if what you say about record companies being protective of their data is true, then why is there so much disagreement among these databases over album info? How is it for example that Gracenote can tag a song's title as "Battle Flag" and the artist as "Lo-Fidelity Allstars feat. Pigeonhead" and the iTunes store calls it "Battle Flag (Feat. Pigeonhead)" by "Lo Fidelity Allstars" yet MusicBrainz claims the song's title is "Battle Flag (feat. Pigeonhed)" and it's by "Lo Fidelity Allstars"? In addition they can't even agree whether the release year is 1998 or 1999. It's so ridiculous, genre should be the only field over which there's any question.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well they protect their copyrights for the album art mostly so the artist that created it in graphic art, or the photographer that took the photos can be paid for their work. but like i said they mostly allow the use of images of them for the songs
because its a form of pr. but if you intend to sale the art or albums or single songs with the art, you are sure to get a visit from the riaa lawyers to make sure you have a contract to sale it as it is copyrighted so any money will be split up by you and them, with the most % going to them.

just like they are so dang uptight about that stuff that a few years back they forced blank cdrom makers to produce
a cdrom with the word music printed on it. and sale it as a music cdrom, so they could force the state to collect tax for that music which was going to be recorded on it when those were bought. back then it was easy to tell how much tax was going to them. because the normal disks were a sale price of 1 dollar less then the music disks. so any time you bought a pack of disks with music on the lable or on the disk you gave one dollar to the riaa to split up between each record company. does not seem like much but consider that the disk was just the same as the normal one you're not getting anything for that dollar other then ripped off.

so even though they are that protective of the music and cover art they don't really care if you put the names backwords from some other site's listing or not. just as long as the correct name and data is there. :wink:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ZephyrMoonchild

Post by ZephyrMoonchild »

This is really useful, many thanks.

Are there any guides anywhere (to anyone's knowledge) that provide a "how to" guide to tagging techniques.

I have a few ipodmusic collections(f00-f99) that I sort by album, then auto-move complete albums manually using tag data. Remaining files require further analysis. Issues with importing existing content, with potentially slightly differing naming conventions resulting in duplicated content. I'm after techniques that cats like trixmoto and other godlike MM geniuses pull out of their digital sleeves...

To my knowledge, "find duplicate functionality" (existing or through scripts) doesn't work on non-library content (on a device, for example). We're at a hostel where we share LOTS, including music, but I'm drowning in duplicate data here! Tips welcome.

Many thanks in advance. Jonny