I am a Cover Junkie.
There, I've said it.
It didn't happen overnight, but, I am on my way to a full fledged addiction. You know the type.
"What? You only have 20 covers of SongX?"
Maybe not, but...
I can remember the milestones in getting to this stage.
Late 2005 - Found out about Podcasts.
Early 2006 - Found Coverville
podcast. Still going strong. Episode 625 just released.
Late 2007/Early 2008 - An episode on Coverville included guests from various Cover Music blogs. Huh. "Cover Music blogs"? Hmmm. A blog for Folk Covers. Better check out Cover Lay Down
Almost immediately after - Oh!! There is down-loadable music here. Save as, save as, ...
Hey this stuff is pretty good and, man, am I out of date on contemporary folk artists.
Worth subscribing to in GReader. Still subscribed, Boyhowdy has great taste and a finely crafted writing style.
Almost immediately after that - This Save As,... is for the pits. Got to find a better way. Checked around and found DownThemAll
Firefox add-on. Heh. One click downloads of all music files in a post to a specified folder. And it even works inside GReader.
Early 2008 - There has got to be something better than iTunes. Found MediaMonkey. Windows only. Pity. Oh well, reason to keep Windows XP system in use.
Almost immediateley after that - Shoot. Of Course. OriginalArtist tag. (One of the downsides of using iTunes. It does not make all tags available.)
Late 2008 - Wonder about some of these other blogs in Boyhowdy's blog roll. Hmmm. Why not. Easy enough to subscribe and DownThemAll.
Late 2008 - Started selective re-rip to higher quality. Decided to get Composer and OriginalArtist correct on these re-rips as part of the project. Decided to use All Music Guide
as reference database for Composer. Re-rips were artist by artist and favourite albums within artist. Decided to clean up tagging for other albums of the artist at the same time.
Late 2008 - Need to use additional MM tools, particularly Advanced Search. Upgraded to Gold.
Early 2009 - Now this is getting out of hand. Need to organize these downloads better. Set up
...\Blogs\<Blog Name>\<Post Date & Description>
structure to store downloads. e.g. this post
would be coded as
Post=CM 091109 Stalkers and Restraining Orders
The "CM" was something I started doing with DownThemAll so I could quickly identify which unprocessed download folder in my download staging area came from where. I use MediaMonkey manual Add/Rescan on Downloads folder to get new files for processing. Not a big fan of background processes. Like to get things relatively clean first.
Early 2009 - Now this is getting really out of hand. Got to clean up the tags in these downloads. They are messing up my library. Hmmm. Well let's start with new downloads and see what happens.
Mid 2009 - Better. Pretty good handle on Artist, Title, and Original Artist tags. Composer so-so. The rest are still a bit of a dog's breakfast. I had always removed any Ratings from blog tracks. If it really caught my ear while playing, rated it then, otherwise they were all left unrated.
Mid/Late 2009 - The Blogs\... structure is getting pretty large and ok as an archive but not really a good way to store the files. Decided to:
Set Custom1="Blog:" <Blog>
Cleared all Custom1 and Custom2 tags from library to start. (Advanced Search: Custom1 is known, Custom2 is known)
Started processing files a blog at a time (easy with the existing folder structure).
Simple Properties edit for Custom1.
Used existing RegExp
preset to load Custom2.
Created new preset to re-set Album Artist.
Use Auto-Organize manual to move processed files to a new structure,
...\FromBlogs\<AlbumArtist>\<Album>\<Artist> - <Title>
Almost immediately - This is a great way to catch duplicate blog postings. The same cover tends to get re-purposed or shared around between bloggers. No need for duplicates in library.
Currently - Still unhappy. Reviewed and quick tested various scripts in Forum. Focused on two scripts from Trixmoto (Which he may or may not be happy about. I tend to get involved in making things work the way I want them to.).
The scripts are:MusicIP Tagger
- I have used MusicIP Mixer
(currently using v1.9 beta 6) for a long time and regularly rescan my library folders and archive analysis for new tracks. The script makes it very fast to get MusicBrainz/MusicDNS
tag info for poorly tagged tracks. The latest version also allows you to store the track's PUID to e.g. Custom5. Currently used as part of my new downloads cleanup process.Genre Finder
- This script uses Last.Fm folksonomy tags as the basis for deriving "standard" genres. I have a very customized whitelist. Am using a slightly patched script and wheedling Trix to make changes. Good enough at the moment to clean up Genre tags for new downloads.
Process is still evolving.
Hmmm. Maybe I should have titled this topic "Journal of an Anal Cover Junkie".
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM22.214.171.1247 Gold / Last.Fm 126.96.36.199 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies