How Detect and Removing Duplicate Files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Dasha

How Detect and Removing Duplicate Files

Post by Dasha »

Hi to all :D I am new to "Monkey" and love it compared to all the others it is a good Media Player.
I have 3 questions’ the first and second I think are related!
Why have I got Numerous duplicates of all my files some have to 5 or 6 I started trying to manage them yesterday and it is very time consuming the only way I know how is to have quick listen to every Duplicate of that file EG TNT by AC DC had 6 so I selected 5 of these and listened to every one then Deleted 5 of them from "Library Only" and then edited the Track Name & Artist to my style’ via Properties Is this correct if so it will take me a long time to remove them all.

It does not matter what I select in the Files Tree” eg: Titles or Artist in the Alpha Tree each view when opened still has 2 or 3 TNT's Listed some with the ID the Tag's I had added manually via Properties? Where did the new untagged one’s come from?? Is this the way Monkey work's do I just ignore the extra files of each song or how do I remove them all??

It does not matter what I select in the Files Tree’ say Titles or Artist in the Alpha Tree each “view” when opened still has 2 or 3 TNT or AC DC’s Listed” some with the ID Tag's I added manually via Properties? Is this the way Monkey work's? do I just ignore the extra files of each song if not how do I remove them all??
I have tried Opening File to that I don't understand in another Post it said to open Files > Edit Files and then the Duplicate would show up" but opening File or Edit in the Taskbar shows nothing about Duplicate Files??

My Next question is: If I save a “Preset Mode” in the “Equalizer” and named it say "Dasha's RockNRoll" and I have then saved it and closed the Equalizer, does that mean that every song I play or Download or Sync to My Sans Disc Player will all have those Qualities and sound Volume Level or do I have to individual set every song manually It's a silly question I know But I was unsure about playing around with the >Play > Level Playback> Level Playback Volume which is “Ticked” at the moment okay Thanks to anyone who may be able to help' I hope I haven't bored you too much. :x Dasha
:D
nohitter151

Re: How Detect and Removing Duplicate Files

Post by nohitter151 »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _tracks%3F

For the Equalizer question, yes, it will be set for every track that is played.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Dasha

Re: How to Detect and Removing Duplicate Files

Post by Dasha »

Hi nohitter151' :D Thank you very much for your help and quick reply I should be OK now but if not at least I know I can get help if I need it. Cheers Mate Dasha :)
Regina

Post by Regina »

Hi there,

Im new to the board so hello all :D
Im trying to clean up my ipod library starting with removing many duplicates . I have tried to follow the advice as per below but cant find the "Analyze tracks for duplicates (takes longer)" check box. I am guessing I have to have MM gold for this function? Can anyone assist me on this ?

many thanx

Can MediaMonkey help me find and delete duplicate tracks?
From MMWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Yes, you have several options.

MM has native duplicate finding ability built into the "Files to Edit" node, which is located in the tree as a sub node of the "Library" node.
-The "Duplicate Titles" node will find and list tracks with the same title and artist.
-The "Duplicate content" node will analyze each file's audio content and compare it to other file's audio content in your library. For duplicate content to work, you must have the option ticked "Analyze tracks for duplicates (takes longer)" in the Library settings. Then when you do a rescan of the files a hash will be generated for each one, which is used for the check.
Both nodes will display all duplicates, so you'll have to delete the duplicates that you don't want to keep manually. Though time-consuming, it is the safest way to retain that you don't delete tracks that you actually wanted to keep.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Regina wrote:Hi there,

Im new to the board so hello all :D
Im trying to clean up my ipod library starting with removing many duplicates . I have tried to follow the advice as per below but cant find the "Analyze tracks for duplicates (takes longer)" check box. I am guessing I have to have MM gold for this function? Can anyone assist me on this ?

many thanx
Tools | Options | Library
Check "Analyze tracks for duplicates (takes extra time)"

It does not require Gold.

bassdog69

Post by bassdog69 »

I'm still confused. When I go to Tools/Options/Library there is not a node for "files to edit". However, when I click on "Analyze tracks for duplicates (takes extra time)" the yellow balloon pops up and says. "This creates a digital signature...Files to edit>duplicate content" So I understand the second part of what he explained, but I don't understand how to access the "Duplicate titles" node as it is not there? JFR, I have under Library: Tags & Playlists/File Monitor/Auto-Organize/Virtual CD & Preview/Appearance/Filters and Views. Also, I have gold BTW even though the next poster said you didn't need it...
bassdog69

Post by bassdog69 »

Ok, I figured it out now! The nodes are on the LEFT side under library. Library/Files to Edit/Duplicate Titles or Duplicate Content. Cool... BTW, LOVE the MONKEY GOLD!!! ITunes has NOTHING on this software! Long live the MONKEY!!!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

DasKraut

Post by DasKraut »

Is there a way to search for just duplicate titles (just the titles) instead of titles+artist? Normally titles+artist is fine but there are times when the alternate ability would be useful to me.
Bex

Post by Bex »

Yes with my duplicate script, link in signature!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
DasKraut

Post by DasKraut »

Thank you, Bex! As usual, you've been very helpful. :)
frankquattrone

Post by frankquattrone »

When I use Duplicate Titles, on one of my computers nothing is showing up. On another computer, there are some files but not all the duplicates are showing. I know this because I randomly picked a couple and saw that there were 3-4 duplicates of certain songs but in the Duplicate Titles, the most that was showing up on any song was 2 duplicates. Also, on neither computer is anything showing up under Duplicate Content even though I've set both to scan the library for that. The files are the same on both computers. Any suggestions on how to get this to work properly? Thanks.
DasKraut

Post by DasKraut »

frankquattrone wrote:When I use Duplicate Titles, on one of my computers nothing is showing up. On another computer, there are some files but not all the duplicates are showing. I know this because I randomly picked a couple and saw that there were 3-4 duplicates of certain songs but in the Duplicate Titles, the most that was showing up on any song was 2 duplicates. Also, on neither computer is anything showing up under Duplicate Content even though I've set both to scan the library for that. The files are the same on both computers. Any suggestions on how to get this to work properly? Thanks.
Is this occurring with the built-in Duplicate Titles (as your question seems to indicate) or with Bex's Advanced Duplicate Find? If it is the built-in search, have you tried using the Advanced Duplicate Find to see if the same thing occurs?
frankquattrone

Post by frankquattrone »

Its happening with the built-in functionality. Hoping to get that to work. Haven't tried the Bex yet. Guess I'll try that unless anyone has any other ideas.
DasKraut

Post by DasKraut »

frankquattrone wrote:Its happening with the built-in functionality. Hoping to get that to work. Haven't tried the Bex yet. Guess I'll try that unless anyone has any other ideas.
Any little difference such as an extra space or a backwards apostrophe vs. a normal one will cause two otherwise identical tracks not to match. This has happened to me in the past but I was always able to force them to detect by doing a cut and paste from one to the the other. I realize this is no real help but I guess what I'm saying is that I never actually encountered the problem as you describe it. FWIW, I also have my files on two PC's.

Maybe someone else can figure it out but I'm stumped.