Creative ZEN 32GB locks when synced

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

gyro

Re: Creative ZEN 32GB locks when synced

Post by gyro »

true, but it would be interesting to see what system files it actually copies across. Also, i would like to see the results of other people having this problem copying these steps to see if it fixes it for them. (fingers crossed it will)

And at the end of the day, installing the software isnt all bad, i do actually now use it to auto convert and sync video to my device (something mm cant 'yet' do(hint hint)) so am pretty happy with it in the end. However, no way am i ever gonna use the creative software to sync music.
BrandonK

Post by BrandonK »

It's back.... :( Greatly appreciate any help if people are still watching this thread.

Current configuration:
Windows 7 x64 (8GB RAM)
MediaMonkey 3.2.0.1292
Creative ZEN 32GB (firmware 1.21.01)

Device drivers for Creative ZEN:
- All drivers are version 6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\UMDF\WpdMtpDr.dll
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\winusb.sys
C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\WUDFRd.sys
C:\Windows\system32\WpdMtp.dll
C:\Windows\system32\WpdMtpUS.dll

Symptoms:
Behavior is identical to my original post, except that the MediaMonkey sync process locks up with the player on "Removing old content".
- The Creative ZEN must be rebooted with the reset button. No content is changed.
- If the ZEN is left connected, the MediaMonkey sync process must be manually terminated. If the ZEN is unpluged after locking up, the MediaMonkey sync process will quickly change the status text to indicate it's trying to load the first file, and then terminate itself.

Actions taken:
Upgraded Creative ZEN firmware from 1.21.01 to 1.21.03
- No change

Upgraded MediaMonkey from 3.2.0.1292 (Debug) to 3.2.0.1294 (Debug)
- No change

Diagnosis:
I stand by my previous assertion that this is a Microsoft MTP driver issue. My bet is that some of the songs in my library have unusual/unicode characters that are not properly handled by the driver, thereby causing the bug.

The really odd thing about this is that I've been running Windows 7 for over a month now, and the problem just now reappeared. I wonder if the last Microsoft "Patch Tuesday" made changes to the device drivers and re-introduced this bug.
gyro

Post by gyro »

Have you downloaded all the latest creative software and sync manager for your zen? i.e. not just the drivers, but i had this problem until i downloaded the creative suite which included the zencast and cz sync manager program and then it went away.

Also, do you have any mp4 music files by any chance? This used to be a problem for me (crashed the zen during sync) until i downloaded a specific mp4 codec despite mediamonkey having its own one
BrandonK

SOLUTION (AGAIN) - Creative ZEN 32GB locks when synced

Post by BrandonK »

I'm pretty sure this was caused by a track with a plus sign ("+") in the artist's name, and therefore the file name. It reappeared recently because I was using the "Auto-Tag from Web" feature (which added a "+" to the artist's name) and then "Auto-Organize Files" (which put the "+" in the file name).

The following steps fixed syncing the player:
- Removed the "+" from all audio tags and file names
- Deleted all music files using Windows Explorer (although you could probably just delete the offending files)
- Re-synced the player with MediaMonkey

Hope this helps someone.

PS - AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME job with the iPhone sync in 3.2.0.1294!!! Ended up using my iPhone more during this problem, and the sync worked faster than the MTP sync.