Rename instead of Copy and Delete!

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

DeathAxe

Rename instead of Copy and Delete!

Post by DeathAxe »

At the moment MM copies files to the new location and deletes the old one without checking if a file can simply be moved/renamed instead. I don't know why MM acts like this, but it causes heavy disk usage, if I reorganize tones of files by Ctrl+R. In most cases I just want to replace ft. by feat. in the filename or something simelar. I don't want to move a file to another partition in most cases. Therefore MM would do such jobs lightyears faster by just trying to rename/move a file before doing a copy and delete operation.

Thanks
nohitter151

Re: Rename instead of Copy and Delete!

Post by nohitter151 »

Didn't I already reply to this?

As I recall it was due to having the wrong option selected in the 'auto-tag' window.

Strangely enough I can't find the other topic.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
matthewhargrove

Post by matthewhargrove »

I too am trying to figure out a simple way to "rename files" and would appreciate a point to another post if the solution has been posted.

Basically, after cleaning up tags, I just want to rename the files, so they are standardized, and just keep them in the current directory. Using "auto-tag" It only gives me options to "move" or "copy" and it always points to a different directory.

How do I rename the files to standardize and reflect current tag values, keeping them in the current location? (just basic file maintenance really).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

matthewhargrove wrote:I too am trying to figure out a simple way to "rename files" and would appreciate a point to another post if the solution has been posted.

Basically, after cleaning up tags, I just want to rename the files, so they are standardized, and just keep them in the current directory. Using "auto-tag" It only gives me options to "move" or "copy" and it always points to a different directory.

How do I rename the files to standardize and reflect current tag values, keeping them in the current location? (just basic file maintenance really).
You have to use "Auto-organize" not "auto-tag". Renaming files will depend upon what you enter into the "Destination:" box.

matthewhargrove

Post by matthewhargrove »

I'm sorry, I mis-typed, I am using "auto-organize". So, this is the only way to change filenames and the directory just needs to be manually changed to the one I am in. Appreciate it.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

If I am not mistaken the mask needs to be <path>\THIS WHERE THE FILE NAME SHOULD BE. Of course look at the suggested change before clicking ok.
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

matthewhargrove wrote:I'm sorry, I mis-typed, I am using "auto-organize". So, this is the only way to change filenames and the directory just needs to be manually changed to the one I am in. Appreciate it.
If you just start the mask with .\<Whatever> <you> <want> it will change filenames without changing the directory.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I think DeathAxe issue is different. Auto-Organize moves files (copy to new location/delete old copy) and this uses more resources then a simple rename would. If tracks remain in the same folder as original a simple rename would be sufficient.
moviesbx

Post by moviesbx »

DeathAxe wrote:At the moment MM copies files to the new location and deletes the old one without checking if a file can simply be moved/renamed instead. I don't know why MM acts like this, but it causes heavy disk usage, if I reorganize tones of files by Ctrl+R. In most cases I just want to replace ft. by feat. in the filename or something simelar. I don't want to move a file to another partition in most cases. Therefore MM would do such jobs lightyears faster by just trying to rename/move a file before doing a copy and delete operation.

Thanks
I know exactly what you're saying. When auto-organizing MM allowed the user the choice of replacing the original file after a change was made to it or storing it in an alternate location. It looks like this latest version of the program only allows for the changes to be made on a file to be stored to another folder, which the user specifies, which is a complete waste of time. I hope this is changed soon.
DeathAxe

Post by DeathAxe »

Seems as Lowlander was the guy who understood my idea ;)

@Nohitter151: The issue you were thinking about in your first reply was the old file not being deleted as I choosed the wrong option. But in this thread, I just wanted to descripe the issue Lowlander recognized. In C++ I have a function rename(...), which does simply rename a file or move it to another location just like the old DOS command "move" does.
This allows very fast movement of tons of files. MM seems not to make use of this function. It creates a new (destination) file, copies the content to the it and then deletes the old source file. This takes a lot of time and fragments HDDs.

If MM would make use of the rename/move functions and would fall back to copy&delete if renaming fails (e.g. if file is moved to another partition) it would boost performance of reorganizing files very much in most situations.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Hi, MM does only rename/move when you using auto-organize unless you have the copy option selected as far as I have every seen. I move files very often and have never seen MM physically copy then delete files, it would be much slower if it did.

also, you do not need to put .\ in the mask box, you can simply put <artist> - <track#> - <title> if you only want to rename and not move to a different folder.

D:\Music\<artist>\<album>\<track#> - <title>
\Music\<artist>\<album>\<track#> - <title>
<track#> - <title>

are all valid auto-organize mask.
crywalt

Post by crywalt »

I know this is a very old topic but I just figured out what MediaMonkey is doing and I wanted to share.

I had the same problem as the OP: I used Auto-Organize to rename a bunch of music files on my portable device -- in my case, a USB flash drive. Rather than simply rename the files in place, MediaMonkey *copied* the files to the new filename, leaving the original files there. So I wanted to rename from "<artist> - <title>" to "<track#> - <title>" and ended up with both:

Adrian Legg - The Netsman and the Laird.mp3
02 - The Netsman and the Laird.mp3

And, of course, the copy operation took a long time and used up twice as much space, until I went through and manually removed the duplicates.

Other people in this thread, however, reported that MM did rename files the way they expected. So what was happening to the OP and to me?

Turns out, even if it's an external hard drive and not an iPod, for example, MM treats the device as an audio device, not as a drive. So MM follows whatever your settings are for Auto sync. If you have the device set in Auto sync without the option "Delete files and playlists not included in the Auto-Sync list from the device" then MM *will not delete files from that device*, and that means it also *will not rename files on that device*. So if that Auto sync checkbox is not checked, and you use Auto-organize on the device, MM will *copy* the files to the new name and leave the old versions. If you check that box, however, MM will do what you want, which is rename the files in place.

Problem solved!
crywalt

Post by crywalt »

Dammit, I was so proud I'd worked it out, and it turns out I'm wrong. It has nothing to do with the Auto sync settings.

This is weird behavior, though. If, under my USB flash drive on the left-hand panel, I choose to expand Folders, then select a folder, then choose tracks from there to Auto-organize, MM copies the files instead of renaming them. If, however, I choose to expand Music->Artist and then choose tracks to Auto-organize, MM renames the files instead of copying them.

Problem still solved, but weird.
donector

Post by donector »

hi, so i got the same problem, 2 things
1) i ended up doing a script based on

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 2&t=12714

and some more scripting

2) but also realised the copying (not renaming) occurs when you are browsing from the "portable media node". IF you browse from under "my pc" it really does rename

WHY DOES IT NOT RENAME WHEN YOU ARE reading THE "portable usb node"??

3) also under portable media, the right click "create folder" and drag and drop between folders functions do not work

best regards