Skip counter

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Spazz

Skip counter

Post by Spazz »

I had never really thoght about it until itunes started with it, but a skip counter would be really nice. You could use it for autoplaylists and script makers could access it. Being able to sync it from the ipod would be even better.
Good idea?
Rodriguez

Re: Skip counter

Post by Rodriguez »

Yes! I'm really missing this feature now that I've completely crossed over to MM. It was essential to many of the autoplaylists I was running in itunes.
mtnkodiak

Post by mtnkodiak »

Yes... I really expected more people to chime in about this missing autoplaylist feature. I guess other users aren't into creating more involved playlists?

One of my favorite iTunes smart playlists was an ever-evolving "personal radio station", and the logic relied heavily on "skip count" and "last skipped". (Essentially I could vote off a track from my "personal radio" by skipping it when it came up on my iPod. Pretty nifty!)
MixaLot

Post by MixaLot »

Yes! I would whole heartedly agree!

It is possible to include Skip Count with the AutoRateAccurate script. It does a nice job of tracking skip count with much more granularity than iPods or iTunes (can configure what counts as a "skip", vs. iPod is hard-coded as 2-20 seconds). However, I have yet to see any way to sync this from an iPod, so that by skipping songs on my iPod I am pushing them down the playlist.

I use MM primarily as a manager for my iPod, and to sync songs to it. There must be more of us out there who aren't interested in playing music off the computer, right?
Spastika

Post by Spastika »

I have seen posts about implementing the skip count a while ago and thought it was evident that it is a useful enough feature to have been working on for a coming release.

I use an iPod Shuffle 3G and the only way of "tagging" or manipulating songs in the DB is by either playing them in full or skipping them before 20 s have played. Most of my automatic playlists uses skip count, last skipped timestamp, play count and last played timestamp. Because this is such an important part of my music management and listening experience with the little Shuffle I have not gotten to the point in my frustration with iTunes to migrate to MediaMonkey yet - one little (very important to me) feature.

So, I just wanted to add my voice to the others in saying if this feature is implemented in MM it would not be in vein.
gnasty

Post by gnasty »

Add me to the list. I would love to see this feature added to mediamonkey.

I can see why this would be all that difficult to implement with the possible compatibility issues with portable players, and the way they store this information.
****Not to mention that apple is constantly adding barriers against 3rd party applications.

Perhaps, we could make Autorate Accurate read skip counts from a custom field, or something. Does anyone understand how ipods/iphones store this information (and want to explain it to me?) :wink: Atleast, point me in the right direction of where i can find information on this.

Hopefully, we can figure a way to get this working. Anyone willing to give it a go, please let me know if there is anyway i can help! I have serveral generations of ipod, including an iphone 3g and ipod touch 1g. I am willing to provide any files needed from these devices.
Thanks.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I am 100% on board with this, in fact I have posted the autorate accurate script to multiple forums to see if anyone can help us add this option. I am thinking it is as simple as pulling out the piece of code that gets the skip count then add some code that ports it to another custom field, wish I was a little better at vbs.
TankCR
aduartes

Post by aduartes »

Plllleeeaseee Skip Count!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I am going to implement it today or tomorrow:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6246
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

YAY!!!!
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
mtnkodiak

Post by mtnkodiak »

Ludek wrote:I am going to implement it today or tomorrow:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6246
Woot!
1. Add new columns/fields '#Skipped', 'Last Skipped'
2. Add these fields to advanced queries and auto-playlists
3. Add the fields as new scripting properties to ISDBSongData COM interface.
I think that's pretty much exactly what I was hoping for. :)

[ETA: It looks like it was added to MM 4.0. I'd be happy to test this feature out for ya-- any need for a beta tester? hehehe]
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I notice that SkipCount has appeared as a property (for MM4) but will there be an "OnTrackSkipped" or similar event added as well?
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

mtnkodiak wrote:[ETA: It looks like it was added to MM 4.0. I'd be happy to test this feature out for ya-- any need for a beta tester? hehehe]
The Alpha/Beta/RC testing is open to all. However, development on 4.0 is still in it's early stages, and thus won't reach Alpha stage for some time, I wager. When it does, builds will be posted in the MediaMonkey Beta Testing forum, where you would then be free to download the test builds and do all the testing you want.
TankCR

Post by TankCR »

I am having a hard time following the directions to implement this script, any help?
TankCR
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kristopher.roy wrote:I am having a hard time following the directions to implement this script, any help?
This is not a script. This new feature will be available in the next release of MediaMonkey.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.