Queue Support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

rguy84

Queue Support

Post by rguy84 »

One thing I love about winamp is that I can put together a quick playlist, then if i like song 2, I could highlight it, press "q" [X-number of times] (say 3 times) while song 3 was playing, the new play order is:
  • song 3
  • song 2
  • song 2
  • song 2
  • song 3
  • song4
even though the playlist only shows:
  • song1
  • song2
  • song3
  • song4
nohitter151

Re: Queue Support

Post by nohitter151 »

Can't you just create a new hotkey for "Playback: Play Next" in the options and do exactly the same thing?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rguy84

Post by rguy84 »

Not exactly, this actually adds the selected track(s) to the playlist again.

For example, say I have a playlist of 10 songs.
I am playing song 1, jump down to #4 - hit q, 7 - hit q, 2 -q, 8 -hit q.
Now the order of play is rest of 1, then 4, 7, 2,8,9,10 then back to song 1,2,3...... (Winamp behavior)
With "Play Next" (I will keep the original song numbers to show the point -sorry if confuses people)the playlist changes to 1, 8, 2, 7, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5.... (Current MM behavior)

Do you see the differences in the playbacks? I want to have the Winamp behavior.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rguy84 wrote:Not exactly, this actually adds the selected track(s) to the playlist again.

For example, say I have a playlist of 10 songs.
I am playing song 1, jump down to #4 - hit q, 7 - hit q, 2 -q, 8 -hit q.
Now the order of play is rest of 1, then 4, 7, 2,8,9,10 then back to song 1,2,3...... (Winamp behavior)
With "Play Next" (I will keep the original song numbers to show the point -sorry if confuses people)the playlist changes to 1, 8, 2, 7, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5.... (Current MM behavior)

Do you see the differences in the playbacks? I want to have the Winamp behavior.
No, I'm just confused :o

rguy84

Post by rguy84 »

Hitter,
Pick like 5 songs. For example:
Original Playlist
  1. Carlos Santana - Red Prophet
  2. Carlos Santana - Agua Que Va Caer
  3. Carlos Santana - Make Somebody Happy
  4. Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  5. Carlos Santana - Milagro
Say I am listening to Red Prophet, and remember I love #2, Agua Que Va Caer, I want to hear it 2 times (back to back), then Free All People. In winamp, the order in the Playlist (what shows in Now Playing) does not change just the order of the songs played, we cannot see this order in the Now Playing list. So after the queue'd songs no longer in the que, aka the played, the next song that plays, is whatever next from The Now Playing list will alter slightly, by placing numbers before the song length. In this example, Agua Que Va Caer will have a [1^] next to it (1 meaning it is the first played song after the current song is done, the ^ means this song will play x number of times), Free All People will have [3] (third song that plays after the current song). The values in the [ ] change as it goes to the next song. The order played is outlined below:
Order Played
  3. Carlos Santana - Agua Que Va Caer
  5. Carlos Santana - Make Somebody Happy
  6. Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  7. Carlos Santana - Milagro
    -- at this point it will loop to the top of the list, and play in the original order (Red Prophet, Aqua Que, Make Somebody , Free All, Milagro) till I hit stop.
To get this order I do, while Red Prophet playing:
  1. select Carlos Santana - Agua Que Va Caer
  2. Hit "Q" twice
  3. Select Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  4. Hit "Q" once
In MM currently, using the Play Next command, if I want the same behavior my Original Playlist changes. Therefore essentially stuck with:
(New Now Playing Playlist)
  3. Carlos Santana - Agua Que Va Caer
  5. Carlos Santana - Make Somebody Happy
  6. Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  7. Carlos Santana - Milagro
unless I go through and edit the New Now Playing Playlist, before Red Prophet (song 1) plays for the second time due to looping/continuous play. Not to mention, to get the play order I have to (again while Red Prophet plays):
  1. Select Carlos Santana - Augua Que Va Caer
  2. Hit Play Next
  3. Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  4. Hit Play Next
  5. Select Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa)
  6. Move Carlos Santana - Free All The People (South Africa) under Carlos Santana - Augua Que Va Caer, because Play Now will put it under Red Prophet
...which is a lot more work.
Does this clear it up? if not tell me where I can explain better. Somebody may think, why would you want to queue songs? Well, say you got a new cd (7tracks long), while you listen to cd's all the way through, track 1 is the new hit and want to listen to it 5 times. On a CD player and in MM you either have to hit back after its done and it switches to track 2 (or in the case of MM add it to now playing 4 more times). On a cd player after track 7 you will hear track 1 then 2, but in MM, by default, you will hear track 1 five times. In the meantime in Winamp, you add all the tracks once and tell winamp to play track one 5 times by queue-ing it. When you hit track 7, you hear tracks 1-7 without having to adjust it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

This seems really confusing. Isn't it much easier just to have a list which shows exactly what is going to play? (As the NP list is now?)

rguy84

Post by rguy84 »

It isn't easier, because queue's aren't permanent. The definition of queue is:
  • a line of people or vehicles waiting for something
  • (information processing) an ordered list of tasks to be performed or messages to be transmitted
  • line up: form a queue, form a line, stand in line; "Customers lined up in front of the store"
In terms of our example of media players, we are making a list within the play list, which I called play order. Once the play order is done (the queue), the next song that is played is the next song listed after the original playlist. I did some digging and found a link to the plugin that does this. Note: This plug in is now installed by default with WinAmp. The main page for it is: http://nunzioweb.com/daz/jtfe.html note that it lists an old version on the page. You can see Dr0's official announcement that a new version is out at: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php ... ost2616978.

If this is confusing still, try installing WinAmp, throw 10 items into now playing. Click on song 3, and hit q, or right click it, choose Jump to File > Queue Selected. Do the same for songs 9, and 5. Now hit play. You will hear song 3, 9, 5, then 6. After Song 6, restart WinAmp, you will play the last played song. If you or somebody, are willing to try this, you will see how powerful, and cleaner (en)queue is,
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

You could try my new add-on Queue List.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2