playlists from MM into iTunes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Belgrath

playlists from MM into iTunes

Post by Belgrath »

Is there any settings that I'm missing that would resolve the song's <title> naming issues.

Within MM all of my song titles do not have the artists name, however, when I import this playlist into iTunes all of my titles end up being renamed. So I'm not sure if its an issue with my export from MM, or the iTunes import. Here's an example.

In MM:
title = Foo
artist = bandName
album = albumName

Export to filename.m3u

Now when I import this filename into iTunes all my fields become.

In iTunes:
title = bandName - Foo
artist = bandName
album = albumName

Not sure why all of my titles are being renamed
Belgrath

Re: playlists from MM into iTunes

Post by Belgrath »

Belgrath wrote:Is there any settings that I'm missing that would resolve the song's <title> naming issues.

Within MM all of my song titles do not have the artists name, however, when I import this playlist into iTunes all of my titles end up being renamed. So I'm not sure if its an issue with my export from MM, or the iTunes import. Here's an example.

In MM:
title = Foo
artist = bandName
album = albumName

Export to filename.m3u

Now when I import this filename into iTunes all my fields become.

In iTunes:
title = bandName - Foo
artist = bandName
album = albumName

Not sure why all of my titles are being renamed
My playlist file looks like:
#EXTINF:166,Led Zeppelin - Good Times Bad Times
d:\Led Zeppelin\1969 - Led Zeppelin I\Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I - Good Times Bad Times.mp3
#EXTINF:401,Led Zeppelin - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You
d:\Led Zeppelin\1969 - Led Zeppelin I\Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.mp3
#EXTINF:388,Led Zeppelin - You Shook Me
d:\Led Zeppelin\1969 - Led Zeppelin I\Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I - You Shook Me.mp3

So the file names are correct as is.. what is the EXTINF line for?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Belgrath wrote: So the file names are correct as is.. what is the EXTINF line for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

nohitter151 wrote:
Belgrath wrote: So the file names are correct as is.. what is the EXTINF line for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U
That answers that then, is there a way to suppress the EXTINF data from being dumped to the file, or a way to specify what contents the EXTINF should show.. I want it to read as <title> and not <artist> - <title>

Belg
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This script can export in simple M3U format: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=34512
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

Lowlander wrote:This script can export in simple M3U format: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=34512
where do you specify the contents of the EXTINF though...

That line I didn't think was supposed to exist in the simple M3U format.. when I uncheck the "Extended .m3u format option playlists are still created with that line.. I'm missing something?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

You can use this one to sync directly into iTunes: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

nynaevelan wrote:You can use this one to sync directly into iTunes: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Cool I'll try it right now... ty
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

nynaevelan wrote:You can use this one to sync directly into iTunes: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Question1:
Am I correct in saying that this would import the various tunes and playlists into the iTunes library. Meaning any song I send to itunes will now become part of the iTunes library. Also, any playlist that I send to iTunes will do two things. 1. add the song to the iTunes library, as well as, create this new playlist that I sent across.

Question2:
You state in the description that files are sent as per the MM standard. Not sure what this entails, you mean the tag standards?

Question3:
Performance. Rather than sending 1 file across to by sync'd I sent an entire playlist of around 9000 files :) The status remained at 0% for about 10min, it copied over around 10files... later it got to 20.. then 30... After it got to 40ish the copying happened pretty quick 3-5/sec... Building up a cache of sorts first? Just curious

The entire copy hasn't finished yet so just wondering what the end of the import will show...
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

Belgrath wrote:
Question1:
Am I correct in saying that this would import the various tunes and playlists into the iTunes library. Meaning any song I send to itunes will now become part of the iTunes library. Also, any playlist that I send to iTunes will do two things. 1. add the song to the iTunes library, as well as, create this new playlist that I sent across.
I think I can answer this one now... it places it into the iTunes library only.. pretty slick. Although on very large sends I think that iTunes isn't able to keep up with the data flowing to it, then I see MM blasting more data to it around 5x normally then eventually the sync will fail. Once I shut down MM and relaunch, then I start the sync again, it'll fly thru the files that were already imported into iTunes and pickup where it left off. Very slick nonetheless.
Belgrath wrote: Question2:
You state in the description that files are sent as per the MM standard. Not sure what this entails, you mean the tag standards?

Question3:
Performance. Rather than sending 1 file across to by sync'd I sent an entire playlist of around 9000 files :) The status remained at 0% for about 10min, it copied over around 10files... later it got to 20.. then 30... After it got to 40ish the copying happened pretty quick 3-5/sec... Building up a cache of sorts first? Just curious

The entire copy hasn't finished yet so just wondering what the end of the import will show...
This should help me with my problem of the title names for sure. Also it'll fix some other gripes that I've had with syncing my iPod in general with iTunes.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

I was poking around in the \scripts folder of MM and think I saw the script for the default Export M3U playlist. Couldn't that be edited? (I also personally don't like the Artist - Title convention in exported playlists.)
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

davidbspalding wrote:I was poking around in the \scripts folder of MM and think I saw the script for the default Export M3U playlist. Couldn't that be edited? (I also personally don't like the Artist - Title convention in exported playlists.)
I thought that the extended M3U was created for older MP3 players that couldn't really read the tag information of the MP3. I would have thought that iTunes would have ignored the extra lines in the playlist in the first place and would have used the MP3 tags as the master of that info. Perhaps there's an iTunes setting that I'm missing that would ignore that.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

I sync with MM, not iTunes.

The reason I'm personally finicky about the M3U is that I also use the MP3s + M3Us in other players from time to time, e.g. Pioneer INNO, Casio E-125 PDA. Those players indeed read the EXTINF line, which I prefer to keep uncluttered.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.