MSC playlist Solution Sansa Clip

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

JwlzMT

MSC playlist Solution Sansa Clip

Post by JwlzMT »

Get playlists to work on your Sansa Clip with MediaMonkey 3, in MSC mode.
[edit: This also works for the Sansa Fuze]

Go into the program and create your playlist in the 'Now Playing' window.

Highlight the songs in the 'Now Playing' window. Right-click and select the 'Send To...", then 'Syncronize' option.

This will send the music files to your player, and create a '.M3U' file in the Sansa Clip's 'Playlists' folder. This M3U file will be incorrectly formatted, and the player will read it as empty.

In MediaMonkey, navigate down to the 'My Computer' icon in your tree viewer, and navigate to the Sansa Clip. Be mindful to go through the 'My Computer' item to get to the Sansa Clip (and not the Sansa Clip above the 'My Computer' tree item).

Navigate to the Sansa Clip's 'Playlists' folder to find the 'Now Playing.m3u' file. Right-click it and select the 'Export as .m3u playlist' option.

Save the new .m3u file to the Sansa Clip's Root Directory (not the 'Playlists' folder). Feel free to rename the file to something more recognizable.

The new .m3u file will look similar to this:

In Windows explorer, navigate to the Sansa Clip's 'Playlist' directory, and delete the old 'Now Playing.m3u' file (it would show up as an empty playlist).

Disconnect the Sansa Clip from your PC, and let it refresh its database. If you've followed the instructions properly, your playlist function should work now.
Last edited by JwlzMT on Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: MSC playlist Solution Sansa Clip

Post by Guest »

Thanks very much - very easy instructions and worked great - cheers
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

This is awesome and worked perfectly. Any way somebody can program this as an add-on ("SansaClip-style playlist copying") so it can be done automatically during sync rather than manually?
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I must be missing something.

I've had a Sansa for over a year and have never had a problem auto-syncing playlists with MM using the MTP mode. I certainly don't go thru all the hoops this thread says to do, I just autsync. I hope you all don't do this everytime you sync!!
JwlzMT

Post by JwlzMT »

All tracks that have been transferred to the Sansa using MSC mode are visible (and thus manageable) in a Windows Explorer window when browsing the mp3 player's contents.

Not all tracks transferred in MTP mode can be seen in Explorer even though they are on the Sansa.
diaspcd

Post by diaspcd »

Yerushalmi wrote:This is awesome and worked perfectly. Any way somebody can program this as an add-on ("SansaClip-style playlist copying") so it can be done automatically during sync rather than manually?
^^ This.

Anyone have any updates on an automated way to do this when you press sync? At least twice in the past I forgot to do this manually only to get to my gym and upon starting to take a few laps on the track find out all my playlists useless... big bummer ;(
teatree2

Post by teatree2 »

rrfpacker wrote:I must be missing something.

I've had a Sansa for over a year and have never had a problem auto-syncing playlists with MM using the MTP mode. I certainly don't go thru all the hoops this thread says to do, I just autsync. I hope you all don't do this everytime you sync!!

I've read that auto-syncing works in other forums too, but unfortunately for me in results in empty playlists, this manual method is the only thing that I have found to work so far. I'm starting to think maybe I should try a different media player..
Yerushalmi

Post by Yerushalmi »

Autosyncing always worked fine for me in MTP mode, yes, but for some reason random folders would get renamed <randomhexvalue>_<foldername>, which made navigating through folders (which I do more often than navigating through artist or album) quite irritating. I moved to MSC mode in order to avoid that problem and got this problem instead. Difference is, this problem has a fix.
shadeybeep

Post by shadeybeep »

Yerushalmi wrote:This is awesome and worked perfectly. Any way somebody can program this as an add-on ("SansaClip-style playlist copying") so it can be done automatically during sync rather than manually?
I don't know about an add-on for MM3, but there is an easy way to sync playlists on my Fuze using one of the developer builds for version 4. You can probably find it easily by searching google (sorry I didn't save the link I used, but I'm sure it's easy to find). I am using 4.0.0.1361, but I assume the newer developer builds would have the same options (and are possibly more stable, too).

In this version I went into the device options for my fuze (I assume it would be the same for Clip), went to the playlist settings, and clicked the box next to "force relative paths" -- after that, the playlists synced properly when I did an auto sync on the fuze. No more empty playlists, and no more manual work every time I want to update a playlist.

It is a big buggy and it does randomly crash sometimes, but maybe the newer versions are better. Hopefully the official version is released soon.
shadeybeep

Post by shadeybeep »

Forgot to mention, I'm using MSC mode to do all this because my computer suddenly stopped being able to see the device in MTP mode. When it worked in MTP mode, syncing playlists in MM3 was simple. If my computer allowed me to I would have continued using MTP mode with mediamonkey 3. I have no idea why it stopped working, I tried to fix it for a few hours one day and then just gave up. Not worth the effort.
furrytractor

Post by furrytractor »

Thanks for this solution. It may seem a bit of a long work around, but it's quicker and easier than any other solution I've seen. It'll keep me going until MM4 is officially released, I'm not experienced enough to test the beta.
teatree

Post by teatree »

Hi, I have been using the above method to sync playlists to my sansa clip and it has worked for me, but as I have now upgraded to MM4 I was wondering if there is a simpler way? I have tried auto sync in both MTP and MSC modes with no luck..
Runrmath

Post by Runrmath »

teatree wrote:Hi, I have been using the above method to sync playlists to my sansa clip and it has worked for me, but as I have now upgraded to MM4 I was wondering if there is a simpler way? I have tried auto sync in both MTP and MSC modes with no luck..
You can do it easily now in MSC mode (I didn't tried in MTP mode yet) with MM4. Like shadeybeep wrote :
In this version I went into the device options for my fuze (I assume it would be the same for Clip), went to the playlist settings, and clicked the box next to "force relative paths" -- after that, the playlists synced properly when I did an auto sync on the fuze. No more empty playlists, and no more manual work every time I want to update a playlist.
The playlist is placed in the \playlists\ folder and the entries in the file look like this:

..\Music\Artist\song.mp3

At least this worked for me.
rrfpacker

Post by rrfpacker »

I synced my Clip last night for the first time in MM4. I use MTP mode, I checked the box for "force relative paths" and "Library Playlists". All other Options are unchecked, then sync as normal. As I've posted before, I don't do any of the things in this thread to sync...auto sync works just fine and no problems in MM3 or 4.
GregK73

Post by GregK73 »

--Help with Sansa Clip Playlists.
--I have used the, I believe, final 3.0 version of MM flawlessly and never thought twice about loading playlists. I created them in MM, did "send to" my Clip, and they would appear. It was easy.
--Now I have upgraded to 4.0 version of MM and playlists are not working. I have been trying to follow the discussions here. I don't want to set anything to auto-synch.That said, I think I did all else that rrf suggested but it's not working.
--Help?
--While I'm here... the other glitch I'm having is when I open MM, I have to close a whole series of "my custom nodes not found" error windows. I will search separate for help on this but if someone here knows a quick fix, I'd love to hear.
gk
Last edited by GregK73 on Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.