LAME 3.99.3 Released

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Eyal

Re: LAME 3.98.3 Released

Post by Eyal »

Owyn wrote:Hmmm.
Codecs.com does not show a reference to that release.

I don't have "rarewares.org" on my trusted list, so, skipping this update (for now).
You can trust rarewares.org, they only did a compiled version of the tar.gz present on http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Owyn, I have used the rarewares site :) for many years.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Ahh. Thanks. I see the file release (1 day ago) on lame.

I put this on my 30 day followups. Not critical to have latest, and, I like to give any new bugs time to surface. It also gives it time to migrate to my known good providers.

Thanks again.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Carpe diem
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

MusicBringer wrote:Owyn, I have used the rarewares site :) for many years.
:D
Sue me, I'm paranoid about software downloaded from the Internet. But, you are not really paranoid if they are really out to get you.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Owyn wrote:
MusicBringer wrote:Owyn, I have used the rarewares site :) for many years.
Sue me, I'm paranoid about software downloaded from the Internet. But, you are not really paranoid if they are really out to get you.
Yeah, I think I might understand.

By the way. You know it always rains after a drought. :roll:

And just to let dBpoweramp users know. They have updated to LAME 3.98.3 with R13.4.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

No problem. I use and test a lot of software. 3.98.3 is probably great,and I will be using it, but, my update policies require:

- Notification by a trusted source (which in some cases is the developer)
- No obvious conflicts with my current configuration (e.g. I am still on FF3.5.8 due to FF3.6 conflicts with two required add-ons)
- After a waiting period to let any problems surface. Lame falls into the class of critical applications that I can not easily test myself.

Consequence of new problems is potentially bad rips or transcodes until problem corrected.
Consequence of delayed install. Possibly slower or suboptimal encodes to MP3. Need to read the full release notes to know.

gpzbc

Re: LAME 3.98.4 Released

Post by gpzbc »

Just in case anyone missed it, LAME 3.98.4 was released on March 22nd
--
The gpzbc
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

gpzbc wrote:Just in case anyone missed it, LAME 3.98.4 was released on March 22nd
Yeah, I did miss it actually.

Here is a direct download link.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Me Too. Thanks gpzbc :)
technofool

Post by technofool »

Hi Guys. Help please.

If I put the v3.98.4 lame_enc.dll file into my MM programs folder (usually C:\program files\mediamonkey) then all new rips and transcodes to mp3 will use this new encoder?

What can I do to ensure that MM uses the v3.98.4 lame.exe decoder to play all my existing mp3's?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

you will need to find the name of the encoder used by monkey. change that name by adding a number to it.
by adding the number to it you make the file unseen by monkey so you then just
rename the lame encoder the name that monkey had his encoder called just don't add the number to it.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
technofool

Post by technofool »

@rovingcowboy Thanks for the quick reply. I seem to have the Lame encoder issue. I am now concerned about the "playback" of my MP3s.

I want to be sure that MM uses the latest lame to playback my mp3s. How do I do that?
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

technofool wrote:@rovingcowboy Thanks for the quick reply. I seem to have the Lame encoder issue. I am now concerned about the "playback" of my MP3s.

I want to be sure that MM uses the latest lame to playback my mp3s. How do I do that?
Lame is an encoder, not a decoder. Therefor, it's used to create MP3s (such as when you rip a CD or convert another file into MP3) but it's not used to play back the file. Unless I'm mistaken?
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Mizery_Made wrote:
technofool wrote:@rovingcowboy Thanks for the quick reply. I seem to have the Lame encoder issue. I am now concerned about the "playback" of my MP3s.

Lame is an encoder, not a decoder. Therefor, it's used to create MP3s (such as when you rip a CD or convert another file into MP3) but it's not used to play back the file. Unless I'm mistaken?
That's the way I understand it to be. But I'm no professional.
--
The gpzbc