UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Re: UPNP server for MediaMonkey (v0.2)

Post by Guest »

Hi,
thanks a lot for your reply.
botijo wrote: Hi there,
just some background first. The MM UPNP server consists on two parts: an UPNP server for browsing and a HTTP server for file serving. It looks like the browsing is OK, so let me focus on the HTTP server.
From the log, it says the radio is accessing

Code: Select all

http://<yourcomputerIP>:5050/song/20019
It states that it has sent the whole file in one go, so let's check if that has been the case. Try using this link on your computer: http://127.0.0.1:5050/song/20019. If your browser can download the file, then I would bet that the radio is either
  • Running out of memory (strange, but could happen as it is reading the whole file in one go)
  • Expecting the URL to have an extension as WMP does
I tried this with the following result:

MM UPNP server based on...
Intel's UPnP .NET Framework Stack
Intel Device Builder Build#1.0.2777.24761
Local IP Address 0: 192.168.2.112
Press press RETURN to stop the server. Takes five to ten seconds to close.
WEB - Requested : command=song itemid=20019
WEB - File to be sent : ?:\MP3-Backup\AllOfRT\Pop\STERNBLUT - KOMM, WIR MALEN UN
S DAS LEBEN.mp3
ReadCallback Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[]
str)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionA
ccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean check
ForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess
access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.FileInfo..ctor(String fileName)
at AsyncWebserver.Server.SendURL(StateObject state, String command, String it
em)
at AsyncWebserver.Server.HandleMessages(StateObject state, String content)
at AsyncWebserver.Server.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult ar).

Illegal character? Any idea?
botijo wrote:Try this location: http://sites.google.com/site/elbotijomm ... pnp-server, the last file. You need to overwrite the three files of the 0.2 server.
Again, please remember that this is an assumption. It might or might not work. I did a quick test on my Roku Soundbridge M1001, and at least it did not break anything else.
Regards.
Well, I tried so, but I failed. Although I found two out of the three files, but I couldn't find the file MM_UPNP_server.exe to overwrite?
So I tried to use the extension .deploy and started the setup again. But didn't work.

Is it so hard, or am I so blind?
botijo

Post by botijo »

I tried this with the following result:

Code: Select all

MM UPNP server based on...
Intel's UPnP .NET Framework Stack
Intel Device Builder Build#1.0.2777.24761
Local IP Address 0: 192.168.2.112
Press press RETURN to stop the server. Takes five to ten seconds to close.
WEB - Requested : command=song itemid=20019
WEB - File to be sent : ?:\MP3-Backup\AllOfRT\Pop\STERNBLUT - KOMM, WIR MALEN UN
S DAS LEBEN.mp3
ReadCallback Exception: System.ArgumentException: Illegal characters in path.
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.HasIllegalCharacters(String[]
 str)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionA
ccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean check
ForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
   at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess
access, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
   at System.IO.FileInfo..ctor(String fileName)
   at AsyncWebserver.Server.SendURL(StateObject state, String command, String it
em)
   at AsyncWebserver.Server.HandleMessages(StateObject state, String content)
   at AsyncWebserver.Server.ReadCallback(IAsyncResult ar).

Illegal character? Any idea?
It looks like MM is giving you a question mark instead of a drive letter. Is the file located over the network? I did not go into creating network shares in my case, so that is something I did not test. Still, that does not explain why you did not get this error beforehand.
botijo wrote:Try this location: http://sites.google.com/site/elbotijomm ... pnp-server, the last file. You need to overwrite the three files of the 0.2 server.
Again, please remember that this is an assumption. It might or might not work. I did a quick test on my Roku Soundbridge M1001, and at least it did not break anything else.
Regards.
Well, I tried so, but I failed. Although I found two out of the three files, but I couldn't find the file MM_UPNP_server.exe to overwrite?
So I tried to use the extension .deploy and started the setup again. But didn't work.

Is it so hard, or am I so blind?
I hate the default installer that cames with Visual C# 2008 Express. You are not blind, it is just that it got installed under
c:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Apps\2.0\W1HZBVGQ.39Z\Q6D62QET.C1K\mm_u..tion_6b5b4043a1059326_0001.0000_69b3d20323db5fdc\
That would be the worst location for the .exe and the rest of the files. I wonder how I got the installation program working at all! Appdata is a hidden folder, so it will make it harder for you to find. Sorry I cannot handle a better way to do things.
botijo

PS3MediaServer extension

Post by botijo »

Now, for something completely different. I saw that PS3MediaServer is easy to extend (don't let it fool you, it is used for other devices too). So easy was the coding, I had the playlist section ported into it in hours. But I commited a big mistake in that I did not employ the plugin system, so I need to start the development from scratch. Anyhow, any of those Windows 7 users, can you try following build
Steps to get it working:
  • Download this 20Meg file. Code comes from the beta version.
  • Install it as normal
  • Copy over your MM.DB file into the installation directory (could not figure an easy way to do COM with Java). This is just a backup feature for the time being. This also means that PS3MediaServer needs to load all the songs from your playlist section at the beginning.
  • Start PS3MediaServer and tick the "MediaMonkey library" under settings
  • Test your device. Music under MediaMonkey Library, Playlists
I only tested on Roku Soundbridge (identified as a TV!) and Boxee (XBMC powered!). Windows Media Player did NOT recognize the device at all. I did not bother looking into this one.
I know this is not going to work with media shared over a network. It is just a tech preview. If you like it, I think it is easy to bring all the functionality from the previous UPNP server. I also did not bothered decoding the whole drive letter thing, so anything higher than I will not work. I know, too many troubles for the time being.
By the way, it adds transcoding to the mix.
Thanks for your time. Comments are welcomed.
vanmeterannie

Post by vanmeterannie »

I've tried to install this in MM3 for use with Simplify Media but I get an error on load that basically says the device isn't ready. I'm a little lost as to what to do; My UPNP is turned on (using XP), what should I look for?
botijo

Post by botijo »

Hi, vanmeterannie,
let me see what SimplifyMedia does.
How does Simplify Media software work?

Simplify Media software lets you browse and play remote music using the iTunes, Front Row, Winamp, Windows Media and Rhythmbox players, and remote photos using the Simplify photo viewer, iPhoto, and Windows Explorer. Specialized music and photo applications are also available for the iPhone and iPod touch mobile devices.

Media is streamed directly between computers over the Internet within small groups that you control. Your group can be made up entirely of your own computers, for example home and office or home and iPhone. You can also invite close friends and family to join. Once an invitation is accepted, you will be able to view and play each other's libraries when online. See more Simplify Media features.
Let me split the functionality into two: the server and the client. SimplifyMedia Server looks like an UPNP/old iTunes server that can get routed through the internet, possibly through a VPN (Virtual Private Network). It either gets iTunes/WinAmp/WMP database or creates its own database. I got all that info from the screenshots that are shown in the installation webpage.
PC Install
It is unfortunate that it uses WinAmp 5 plugins, as MediaMonkey was designed with WinAmp 2 plugins.
As far as I can see, SimplifyMedia Server does not route other UPNP servers, or does get its info from the database. Just its own server that cannot connect to MediaMonkey database.
I see that a big plus of SimplifyMedia is the Apple products connectivity. If you are not looking for that, I suggest you try other VPN software, like Hamachi2. There probably are a lot more of this kind of software.
Anyhow, I do not see how I can relate SimplifyMedia to the UPNP server I created. They are two different breeds of monsters, I mean, UPNP servers.

Following is an old thread about SimplifyMedia:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ia#p180833
Rereading the thread I now realize that the UPNP Client works with SimplifyMedia. But it still does not act as a server.
vanmeterannie

Post by vanmeterannie »

Thanks! No, I'm not sure what my problem with it is, since the script in MM seems to be running into an error, but I'm not sure why. Others here have gotten Simplify to work with your script, so I've posted on that thread. I greatly appreciate your response!
mediumspiny

Post by mediumspiny »

Hi,
A complete noob question here. Is the uPnP server what I need to install to stream music from MM to my Western digital HD TV Live box?

If it is. how do I go about installing it and telling it the IP address of the TV live?

Many thanks.
botijo

Post by botijo »

mediumspiny wrote:Hi,
A complete noob question here. Is the uPnP server what I need to install to stream music from MM to my Western digital HD TV Live box?

If it is. how do I go about installing it and telling it the IP address of the TV live?

Many thanks.
This is not a noob question, just a question from the inexperienced.

DLNA is a subset of UPnP A/V Media Server & Renderer specification, as these UPnP spec is very vague. It looks like your device is a DLNA client. So yes, you can at least try this UPnP server or the recent plugin I created for PS3MediaServer (both in my signature). If you like to have a single solution for audio and video, just check the PS3MediaServer one (name is misleading). Plus it also does other many things like recoding on the fly - useful if you have your CDs in FLAC format.

This UPnP server is a separate program from MediaMonkey, so it needs to be installed. The program link is filed under Microsoft (I used one of their installers and did not worry much about it) and is physically installed under your username directory - and is fairly well hidden.

Once run, the server announces its availibility through the network, so you do not need to type in anything. At least my Roku Soundbridge, XBMC and Boxee clients did not need to. If needed, your WD Live needs to know the computer's IP.

I have read that MediaMonkey 4, when available, will support this UPnP server thing. Alpha versions (very unstable ones) are supposed to be rolling in two or three months time. So keep an eye on those!

Regards.
RaKa

Post by RaKa »

I tried to install the UPNP MM Server on a Win7/64 Bit System. The Server is running and I can see it on my WDTV Live Mediaplayer. But it seems, there is no connection to my MediaMonkey ....

The only solution I found is to stream the Live-Audio to my WD TV Live was the following crazy way:

Mediamonkey 3.2 with installed EDCAST V3 DSP Plugin, streaming to an ICECAST2 Server with 320kbs/MP3. A TVersity Server is the DLNA Server, connected to the ICECast ..... Everything on one PC.
The WD TV live can now contact the TVersity Server ..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Have fun and I am waiting for MM 4 (beta),

RaKa
botijo

Post by botijo »

RaKa wrote:I tried to install the UPNP MM Server on a Win7/64 Bit System. The Server is running and I can see it on my WDTV Live Mediaplayer. But it seems, there is no connection to my MediaMonkey ....
When you say, there is no connection to my MediaMonkey, what do you mean?
Anyhow, did you try PS3MediaServer + MediaMonkey plugin?
RaKa

Post by RaKa »

Hello botijo,

i would like to try your PS3MediaServer .... but the File is deleted on http://www.mediafire.com/file/mgynzmziq ... s-1.20.exe.
Please could you fix it?

I don't know, how I could see if there is a connection to MM. The Server is running, thats all. I can see the UPNP Server on my WD TV Live, but no content. These days I will try it on a Win XP Notebook.

RaKa
botijo

Post by botijo »

RaKa wrote:Hello botijo,

i would like to try your PS3MediaServer .... but the File is deleted on http://www.mediafire.com/file/mgynzmziq ... s-1.20.exe.
Please could you fix it?
Sorry about that. The patch was merged into the main PS3MediaServer, so the latest beta build (400 at the moment of writting) works with the plugin.
Thanks for reporting the missing link.

On the other side, if you have the UPNP server up and running, the root folder should have folders like "Browse by Album Artist" and the like. No info is taken from MediaMonkey for the root folder. I begin to think that there is something funny with the implementation made in WD TV live. Unfortunately, I do not have that gadget, so I cannot follow on this one. I wonder what it could be...
cccccc

Post by cccccc »

Under W7 64b I get
Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: mm_upnp_server.exe
Problem Signature 02: 0.2.3683.29245
Problem Signature 03: 4b65ac7a
Problem Signature 04: MM_UPNP_server
Problem Signature 05: 0.2.3683.29245
Problem Signature 06: 4b65ac7a
Problem Signature 07: 1
Problem Signature 08: 3f
Problem Signature 09: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 2060

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
dypsis

PS3MediaServer Plugin for MediaMonkey

Post by dypsis »

Has anyone tried the PS3MediaServer plugin for MediaMonkey in the OP's signature?
I am thinking of giving it a try?
bullrinos

Post by bullrinos »

any updates to this?