Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

gpzbc

Re: Genre Finder 4.3 - Updated 22/01/2010

Post by gpzbc »

On Vista and Windows 7, the log file will likely be found at "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp"
You also have to raise the log level in genre finder settings in order for it to log info.
--
The gpzbc
Kevinowpb

Post by Kevinowpb »

what will be the name of the file?
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

The file is GenreFinder.log

Changing setting "Automatically Run" to "Never" should avoid the error.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I can't replicate this but I'll try and put some extra checks in around this line. The logfile is in your Windows temporary directory (%temp%).
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
tobinu

Complete AMG/Allmusic Genre List

Post by tobinu »

After searching for a while and not finding a good text-based list of AMG/Allmusic genres, I decided to put one together myself. I thought I'd share it here in case anyone was interested:
http://home.comcast.net/~tobinu/music/AMGGenres.html

I haven't decided how I'm going to approach my MM genre issue yet, but I'm sure that there is no perfect solution. For now I've just deleted them all.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Thanks. Handy list.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Genre is the only area of my library that is untamed. Everything has a genre, but I'm not happy with it. I always feel so overwhelmed by the subjectivity of it. Oh well, perhaps some day I'll feel really ambitious and tackle it. When I do, you list will definitely come in handy. Thanks!
--
The gpzbc
Vyper

Post by Vyper »

Holy crap! That's a boatload of genres and you've obviously put a lot of work into it. Nice job! :D
Stop Button Freak
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

FYI: The main AMG Genre page is here
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

PS: The following white list is a first cut at generating AMG popular genres plus a catch all for Classical.

Code: Select all

Avant%Garde=Avant-Garde,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,%Blues%=Blues,%Classical%=Classical,%Country%=Country,Easy%Listening=Easy Listening,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Folk%=Folk,%International%=International,%Jazz%=Jazz,%Latin%=Latin,New%Age=New Age,Pop%=Pop/Rock,%Rock=Pop/Rock,R%B=R&B,Rap=Rap,%Reggae%=Reggae,Stage%Screen=Stage & Screen,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=International
tobinu

Post by tobinu »

Owyn wrote:PS: The following white list is a first cut at generating AMG popular genres plus a catch all for Classical.
Thank you for this.I was wondering if anyone else has come up with other white lists that they've found successful and if you could post them?
molnium

Post by molnium »

oh boy... i just wanted to collect some more genres to a 'complete' list... but after seeing the links abve, and this:
http://www.discogs.com/help/submission- ... tyles.html
http://wiki.discogs.com/index.php/Style_Guide
i just gave up :lol: thats too much for me :o

##edit
i collated the most of this, and its now here: (but beware: some of this doesnt make sense since some genres are not being taken because of them being captured before...)

%Blues%=Blues,%Chicago%Blues%=Chicago Blues,%Country%Blues%=Country Blues,%Delta%Blues%=Delta Blues,%East%Coast%Blues%=East Coast Blues,%Electric%Blues%=Electric Blues,%Harmonica%Blues%=Harmonica Blues,%Jump%Blues%=Jump Blues,%Louisiana%Blues%=Louisiana Blues,%Modern%Electric%Blues%=Modern Electric Blues,%Piano%Blues%=Piano Blues,%Piedmont%Blues%=Piedmont Blues,%Texas%Blues%=Texas Blues,%Military%=Military,%March%=Military,%Brass%Band%=Brass Band,%Marches%=Marches,%Military%=Military,%Pipe%Drum%=Pipe & Drum,%Children%=Childrens,%Kinder%=Childrens,%Classical%=Classical,%Baroque%=Baroque,%Contemporary%=Contemporary,%Early%=Early,%Medieval%=Medieval,%Modern%=Modern,%Neo%Classical%=Neo-Classical,%Neo%Romantic%=Neo-Romantic,%Post%Modern%=Post-Modern,%Renaissance%=Renaissance,%Romantic%=Romantic,%Country%=Country,%Bluegrass%=Bluegrass,%Cajun%=Cajun,%Folk%=Folk,%Zouk%=Zouk,%Zydeco%=Zydeco,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Abstract%= Abstract,Acid=Acid,%Acid%House%=Acid House,Acid%Jazz=Acid Jazz,%Ambient%=Ambient,%Breakbeat%=Breakbeat,%Broken%Beat%=Broken Beat,%Dark%Ambient%=Dark Ambient,%Darkwave%=Darkwave,%Downtempo%=Downtempo,%Drum%Bass%=Drum & Bass,%Dub%=Dub,%Euro%House%=Euro House,%Experimental%=Experimental,%Freestyle%=Freestyle,%Ghetto%=Ghetto,%Goa%Trance%=Goa Trance,%Happy%Hardcore%=Happy Hardcore,%Hardcore%=Hardcore,%House%=House,%Industrial%=Industrial,%Jazzdance%=Jazzdance,%Jungle%=Jungle,%Minimal%=Minimal,%Noise%=Noise,%Progressive%House%=Progressive House,%Progressive%Trance%=Progressive Trance,%Synth%pop%=Synth-pop,%Techno%=Techno,%Trance%=Trance,%Tribal%=Tribal,%Tribal%House%=Tribal House,Trip%Hop=Trip Hop,%Funk%=Funk,%Afrobeat%=Afrobeat,%Disco%=Disco,%Free%Funk%=Free Funk,%Funk%=Funk,%Gospel%=Gospel,%Neo%Soul%=Neo Soul,%Psychedelic%=Psychedelic,%Soul%=Soul,%Swingbeat%=Swingbeat,%Hip%Hop%=Hip-Hop,%International%=International,%Jazz%=Jazz,%Afro%Cuban%Jazz%=Afro-Cuban Jazz,%Big%Band%=Big Band,%Bop%=Bop,%Contemporary%Jazz%=Contemporary Jazz,%Cool%Jazz%=Cool Jazz,%Dixieland%=Dixieland,%Easy%Listening%=Easy Listening,%Free%Improvisation%=Free Improvisation,%Free%Jazz%=Free Jazz,%Fusion%=Fusion,%Gyspy%Jazz%=Gyspy Jazz,%Hard%Bop%=Hard Bop,%Jazz%Funk%=Jazz-Funk,%Jazz%Rock%=Jazz-Rock,%Latin%Jazz%=Latin Jazz,%Modal%=Modal,%Post%Bop%=Post Bop,%Ragtime%=Ragtime,%Smooth%Jazz%=Smooth Jazz,%Soul%Jazz%=Soul-Jazz,%Space%Age%=Space-Age,%Swing%=Swing,%Latin%=Latin,%Afro%Cuban%=Afro Cuban,%Bachata%=Bachata,%Batucada%=Batucada,%Beguine%=Beguine,%Bolero%=Bolero,%Boogaloo%=Boogaloo,%Bossa%Nova%=Bossa Nova,%Cha%Cha%=Cha-Cha,%Charanga%=Charanga,%Compas%=Compas,%Conjunto%=Conjunto,%Corrido%=Corrido,%Cuatro%=Cuatro,%Cubano%=Cubano,%Cumbia%=Cumbia,%Danzon%=Danzon,%Descarga%=Descarga,%Flamenco%=Flamenco,%Forro%=Forro,%Guaguanc%=Guaguancó,%Jibaro%=Jibaro,%Lambada%=Lambada,%Mambo%=Mambo,%Mariachi%=Mariachi,%Marimba%=Marimba,%Merengue%=Merengue,%Norte%=Norteño,%Pachanga%=Pachanga,%Plena%=Plena,%Quechua%=Quechua,%Ranchera%=Ranchera,%Reggaton%=Reggaton,%Rumba%=Rumba,%Salsa%=Salsa,%Samba%=Samba,Son=Son,%Sonero%=Sonero,%Tango%=Tango,%Tejano%=Tejano,%Trimba%=Trimba,%Trova%=Trova,%Vallenato%=Vallenato,%non%music%=non-Music,%book%=Audiobook,%Comedy%=Comedy,%Dialogue%=Dialogue,%Education%=Education,%Field%Recording%=Field Recording,%Interview%=Interview,%Poetry%=Poetry,%Speech%=Speech,%Sound%Effect%=Sound Effect,Pop%=Pop,%Ballad%=Ballad,%Bollywood%=Bollywood,%Chanson%=Chanson,%Europop%=Europop,%J%Pop%=J-Pop,%Karaoke%=Karaoke,%Music%Hall%=Music Hall,%Novelty%=Novelty,%Parody%=Parody,%Schlager%=Schlager,%Vocal%=Vocal,%Reggae%=Reggae,%Calypso%=Calypso,%Dancehall%=Dancehall,%Dub%=Dub,%Dub%Poetry%=Dub Poetry,%Junkanoo%=Junkanoo,%Lovers%Rock%=Lovers Rock,%Mento%=Mento,%Ragga%=Ragga,%Rapso%=Rapso,%Reggae%=Reggae,%Reggae Gospel%=Reggae Gospel,%Reggae-Pop=Reggae-Pop,%Rocksteady%=Rocksteady,%Roots%Reggae%=Roots Reggae,%Ska%=Ska,%Soca%=Soca,%Steel%Band%=Steel Band,Rock%=Rock,%Acoustic%=Acoustic,%Alternative%Rock%=Alternative Rock,%Avantgarde%=Avantgarde,%Black%Metal%=Black Metal,Blues%Rock=Blues Rock,%Brit Pop%=Brit Pop,Classic%Rock=Classic Rock,%Death%Metal%=Death Metal,%Folk%Rock%=Folk Rock,%Garage%Rock%=Garage Rock,%Glam%=Glam,Goth%=Gothic,%Grunge%=Grunge,%Hard Rock%=Hard Rock,%Hardcore%=Hardcore,%Metal%=Metal,%Indie%Rock%=Indie Rock,%Industrial%=Industrial,%Nu%Metal%=Nu Metal,%Prog%Rock%=Prog Rock,%Psychedelic%Rock%=Psychedelic Rock,Punk=Punk,%Rock%Roll%=Rock & Roll,Rockabilly=Rockabilly,%Rocksteady%=Rocksteady,%Ska%=Ska,%Soft%Rock%=Soft Rock,%Stoner%Rock%=Stoner Rock,%Thrash%=Thrash,R%B=R&B,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,Rap=Rap,Stage%Screen=Stage & Screen,%Musical%=Musical,%Score%=Score,%Soundtrack%=Soundtrack,%Theme%=Theme,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=International,vocal%=Vocal,%Instrumental%=Instrumental
one line in "whitelist.txt"

btw: it would be nice if there is a way that the script reads more than just the first line in a linked textfile (i didnt find a setting for that)

##edit 2:
another idea: make the placeholder % to also fetch "nothing", so that %Hip%Hop%=Hip-Hop would also work when "Hip-Hop" or "Hip Hop" or "HipHop" or "Hip&Hop" are retrieved 8)
trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 4.4 - Updated 10/03/2010

Post by trixmoto »

New version (4.4) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed issue with ability to translate "Pop%Rock" to "Pop/Rock"
- Fixed commit issues, hopefully
- Fixed duplicate tracks causing errors with confirmation mode
- Added warnings for blank white and black lists

This is a small bugfix release, there are a number of requests still on my list for a future version.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Thanks Trix.
FYI:
This is the current version of my personal white lists. Just finished updating it to handle the SXSW 2010 Showcasing Artists torrents (1038 artists). It tagged over 80% of them and spot checks show well over 95% appropriate tagging.

Current usage is for Artist mode at depth 4.

The version I actually edit.

Accordian,Banjo,Bass,Blues Harp,Cello,Clarinet,Fiddle,Flute,Guitar,Harmonica,Harp,Instrumental,Organ,Pedal Steel,Percussion,Piano,Saxophone,% Sax=Saxophone,Slide Guitar,Trumpet,Tuba,Ukulele,Violin,

Africa=African,African,America=American,American,Argentina%=Argentinan,Austin,Aussie=Australian,Australian,Bakersfield,Balkan,Brasil%=Brazilian,Brazil%=Brazilian,British%=British,Canada=Canadian,Canadian,Chicago,Colombia%=Colombian,Cuba=Cuban,Cuban,Czech,Danish,Detroit,Dutch,English=British,France=French,French,German,Icelandic,Irish,Israel%=Israeli,Italian,Jamaican,Japanese,Los Angeles,Memphis,Mid%Eastern=Middle Eastern,Montreal,Nashville,New Mexico,New Orleans,New York,Norwegian,Panama,Persian,Polish,Scottish=British,Seattle,Spanish,Swedish,Tennessee,Texas,Toronto,Vancouver,

1920s=20s,20s,1930s=30s,30s,1940s=40s,40s,1950s=50s,50s,1960s=60s,60s,70s,80s,90s,00s,

8%bit=8-bit,A%Capella=A Cappella,A%Cappella=A Cappella,Acoustic,Afrobeat,Alt%Country=Alt Country,Alt%Folk=Alt Folk,Alt%Rock=Alt Rock,Alternative,Ambient,Americana,%Beats=Beats,Bebop=Bop,Big%Band=Big Band,Bluegrass,Boogie=Boogie Woogie,Boogie%Woogie=Boogie Woogie,Bossa%Nova=Bossa Nova,%Bounce=Bounce,Boy%band=Boy Band,Boy%Bands=Boy Band,Britpop,Cabaret,Cajun,Chansons,Chicano,Chill%=Chill,Classic%Rock=Classic Rock,Classical,Comedy,Composer%=Composer,Cowboy,Cumbia,Dance%=Dance,Disco,DJ=DJ,Doo%Wop=Doo Wop,Down%Tempo=Down Tempo,Drone,Dub%=Dub,Duets,Duos=Duets,Electro,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Experimental%=Experimental,Female Vocalist%=Female Vocalist,Filk,Flamenco,Folk%Rock=Folk Rock,Funk,Fusion,Girl%Group=Girl Group,Girl%Groups=Girl Group,Grunge,Gypsy,Hip%Hop=Hip Hop,%Hip Hop=Hip Hop,%House=House,Humor=Comedy,Humour=Comedy,Jam Band,Latin,Lo%Fi=LoFi,Lounge,Mellow,Motown,New%Wave=New Wave,Noise%=Noise,Novelty,Old%Time=Old Time,Old%Timey=Old Timey,Oldies,Pacifico,Pernambuco,Polka,%Psychedelic%=Psych,Pop%Rock=Pop Rock,R%B=R&B,Ragtime,%Rap=Rap,Reggae,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,Rock%Folk=Folk Rock,Rock%Roll=Rock&Roll,Rockabilly,Singer%Songwriter=Singer Songwriter,Ska,Stoner,Surf,Swamp,Swing,Tex%Mex=Tex Mex,%Thrash=Thrash,Twee,Zydeco,

%Blues,Blues%,%Bop,%Country,Country%,%Folk,Folk%,Guitar%,Indie%,%Jazz,Jazz%,%Soul,

%Celtic%=Celtic,%Christian%=Christian,%Garage%=Garage,%Gospel%=Gospel,%Goth%=Goth,%Metal%=Metal,%Pop%=Pop,%Punk%=Punk,%Rock%=Rock,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=World
And this is what is copied & pasted into the option. Same as the previous version, but, concatenated into one long line.

Accordian,Banjo,Bass,Blues Harp,Cello,Clarinet,Fiddle,Flute,Guitar,Harmonica,Harp,Instrumental,Organ,Pedal Steel,Percussion,Piano,Saxophone,% Sax=Saxophone,Slide Guitar,Trumpet,Tuba,Ukulele,Violin,Africa=African,African,America=American,American,Argentina%=Argentinan,Austin,Aussie=Australian,Australian,Bakersfield,Balkan,Brasil%=Brazilian,Brazil%=Brazilian,British%=British,Canada=Canadian,Canadian,Chicago,Colombia%=Colombian,Cuba=Cuban,Cuban,Czech,Danish,Detroit,Dutch,English=British,France=French,French,German,Icelandic,Irish,Israel%=Israeli,Italian,Jamaican,Japanese,Los Angeles,Memphis,Mid%Eastern=Middle Eastern,Montreal,Nashville,New Mexico,New Orleans,New York,Norwegian,Panama,Persian,Polish,Scottish=British,Seattle,Spanish,Swedish,Tennessee,Texas,Toronto,Vancouver,1920s=20s,20s,1930s=30s,30s,1940s=40s,40s,1950s=50s,50s,1960s=60s,60s,70s,80s,90s,00s,8%bit=8-bit,A%Capella=A Cappella,A%Cappella=A Cappella,Acoustic,Afrobeat,Alt%Country=Alt Country,Alt%Folk=Alt Folk,Alt%Rock=Alt Rock,Alternative,Ambient,Americana,%Beats=Beats,Bebop=Bop,Big%Band=Big Band,Bluegrass,Boogie=Boogie Woogie,Boogie%Woogie=Boogie Woogie,Bossa%Nova=Bossa Nova,%Bounce=Bounce,Boy%band=Boy Band,Boy%Bands=Boy Band,Britpop,Cabaret,Cajun,Chansons,Chicano,Chill%=Chill,Classic%Rock=Classic Rock,Classical,Comedy,Composer%=Composer,Cowboy,Cumbia,Dance%=Dance,Disco,DJ=DJ,Doo%Wop=Doo Wop,Down%Tempo=Down Tempo,Drone,Dub%=Dub,Duets,Duos=Duets,Electro,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Experimental%=Experimental,Female Vocalist%=Female Vocalist,Filk,Flamenco,Folk%Rock=Folk Rock,Funk,Fusion,Girl%Group=Girl Group,Girl%Groups=Girl Group,Grunge,Gypsy,Hip%Hop=Hip Hop,%Hip Hop=Hip Hop,%House=House,Humor=Comedy,Humour=Comedy,Jam Band,Latin,Lo%Fi=LoFi,Lounge,Mellow,Motown,New%Wave=New Wave,Noise%=Noise,Novelty,Old%Time=Old Time,Old%Timey=Old Timey,Oldies,Pacifico,Pernambuco,Polka,%Psychedelic%=Psych,Pop%Rock=Pop Rock,R%B=R&B,Ragtime,%Rap=Rap,Reggae,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,Rock%Folk=Folk Rock,Rock%Roll=Rock&Roll,Rockabilly,Singer%Songwriter=Singer Songwriter,Ska,Stoner,Surf,Swamp,Swing,Tex%Mex=Tex Mex,%Thrash=Thrash,Twee,Zydeco,%Blues,Blues%,%Bop,%Country,Country%,%Folk,Folk%,Guitar%,Indie%,%Jazz,Jazz%,%Soul,%Celtic%=Celtic,%Christian%=Christian,%Garage%=Garage,%Gospel%=Gospel,%Goth%=Goth,%Metal%=Metal,%Pop%=Pop,%Punk%=Punk,%Rock%=Rock,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=World
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

And another one. This is based on the AMG track genres with a few embellishments. I used this to re-tag genres for 2000-2009 Billboard Year End Hot 100 tracks.
Followed it up with RegExp to prefix the genres with "00s; ".

Bottom line. Play with this script to meet your needs. I have used it to cleanup thousands of poorly tagged compilation tracks. Works a treat.

Female Vocalist%=Female Vocalist,Rock%Roll=Rock&Roll,

Avant%Garde=Avant-Garde,Rhythm%Blues=R&B,%Blues%=Blues,%Classical%=Classical,%Country%=Country,Easy%Listening=Easy Listening,%Electronic%=Electronic,%Folk%=Folk,%International%=International,%Jazz%=Jazz,%Latin%=Latin,New%Age=New Age,Pop%=Pop/Rock,%Rock=Pop/Rock,R%B=R&B,Rap=Rap,%Reggae%=Reggae,Stage%Screen=Stage & Screen,%Vocal%=Vocal,%World%=International,

Hip%Hop=Hip-Hop,%Soul%=Soul