VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ian.sorbello

Re: VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Post by ian.sorbello »

Good stuff!

Yeah, the installer can certainly be improved - so I'll invest a bit of extra time on this.
So far the plugin has worked pretty well for me, but if there are any nuances or ideas for improvement, I'd be very happy to hear about them...

Rgs,
Ian.
lcurry

Post by lcurry »

Great stuff!!

I have a mountain of mpg files...what are the complications in supporting this format?

Thanks
julial49

Post by julial49 »

Wow, amazing really - now the "Media" part actually makes sense :)

One thing though: internationalization!

You use the path "program files" which only applies to users with an english installation of Windows. I had to edit the script and change it to the appropriate path for VLC. During installation I could change it but it took a while (and reading your instructions for manual installation) until I finally got it to work.

The program files path is a windows variable and it should be easy to incorporate.

Cheers!
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

julial49 wrote:Wow, amazing really - now the "Media" part actually makes sense :)

One thing though: internationalization!

You use the path "program files" which only applies to users with an english installation of Windows. I had to edit the script and change it to the appropriate path for VLC. During installation I could change it but it took a while (and reading your instructions for manual installation) until I finally got it to work.

The program files path is a windows variable and it should be easy to incorporate.

Cheers!
Yeah - you're absolutely right. The installer makes a lot of assumptions, and is very simple. I wish I was better at building MSIs - but I can only manage really basic stuff... :-?

Ian.
miCRO01

Post by miCRO01 »

I'm on Windows 7 64 bit and I cannot seem to get this working at all. I can get the files into the library, but VLC does not open when I attempt to play them from MM. I used the installer for installation. Tried using admin rights on VLC/Mediamonkey and nothing!

Great addon, just needs bugs ironed out :)
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Yeah the add-on in its current form is very prone to failure - everything has to be just "so"...

I think I can help you on this one... 8)
In this case, the plug-in is most certainly registered, where it's likely to be failing is the startup of the vlc.exe in the background. You can fix this yourself by going to the <MM_Install_Dir>\scripts\auto\ directory, and opening up "startVLC.vbs" in a text editor. On line 16, there'll be a path to the VLC program, it of course, assumes 32-bit! If you change this to a 64-bit path (or more specifically, to the path of where you VLC is actually installed), it should all work fine...

Apologies, I'll try to make the installer better in the future. I have a 2.0 version of this plug-in in the works too - it will be much less complex, won't suffer from 32-bit vs. 64-bit issues, and be fully integrated into the MM docking windows. :P

Cheers,
Ian.
Bennyt

Post by Bennyt »

Awesome work on this plugin - just what MM needed. Had to change my script file but is so worth the effort.

VLC and MM in SYNC! Kudos to you Ian!
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Nice work. Just completed a quick test.

1)Install from Setup.exe:
New file types not available from Tools->Options->File Types.
Needed to exit and restart MM to see new types.
Selected All.

2)Add/Rescan video library.
Video files not showing in Location node.
Found in My Computer node.

3)Double Click video track to play.
VLC(latest released version) starts, but, can't access controls in VLC. Right-Click in VLC window appears to be disabled.

4)Unsubscribe and Resubscribe podcast with video and audio episodes.
Used http://feeds.tvo.org/tvo/searchengine
Works a charm. Video episodes now showing in feed.

Edit:
Noticed play count is not updated when VLC play completes.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Thanks for the great feeback peoples!

Owyn, good rundown on some integration aspects of the plugin that aren't quite there... yeah - I've focussed so much on just getting the plugin working that I've really not covered all the little things like play count. I've recently discovered that the seek bar is not 100% accurate, and there is an issue with playlists too...

But I never thought that being able to register the video filetypes now enables video podcast feed synching. That's a great sideffect! who knew....

Ian.
reclusedna

Post by reclusedna »

Thanks Peke for this amazing plugin!

I would really love to have all my experience of MM3 in one interface..
So I ask:

Is there anyway to have the movie embed within MM instead of popping up in another window??

Im using in_VID4WA.dll to allow video in MM3.

Is this possible and if so..would you be willing to do it?

I think this would complete the domination of MM over all other media players!
Benn

Post by Benn »

Hey

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I installed this script, then when I scanned in I selected my folder of TV shows (avi)... however, none of them are tagged as such, so the only way I used to distinguish them was by their filename. Of course, my library is set to auto-organise everything into Artist folders when they are added, so now I have an unknown folder, with all my videos "unknown (123)" inside. Is there ANY way I could undo this?

Thanks,

Ben
Peke

Post by Peke »

@reclusedna
Thank you but this not my plugin, ian.sorbello is the Author and you should thank him ;) :roll: 8)
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Benn wrote:Hey

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I installed this script, then when I scanned in I selected my folder of TV shows (avi)... however, none of them are tagged as such, so the only way I used to distinguish them was by their filename. Of course, my library is set to auto-organise everything into Artist folders when they are added, so now I have an unknown folder, with all my videos "unknown (123)" inside. Is there ANY way I could undo this?

Thanks,

Ben
None that I can think of within MM.
Other options are:
-Restore from backups.
-Play each episode and tag/rename in Explorer as identified.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
-SuperFunk-

Post by -SuperFunk- »

This script could be so awesome if optimized! I'm waiting impatiently for the next update :D
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Finding a lot of problems with Play Now of .M4V files. Getting MM lockups and external exceptions.
End up having to kill MM and VLC hung processes.
Leaving installed to allow automatic download of video podcast episodes, but, otherwise using Find More From Same-Folder(Explorer) to locate & play episodes.