VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

ian.sorbello

Re: VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Post by ian.sorbello »

reclusedna wrote:Thanks Peke for this amazing plugin!

I would really love to have all my experience of MM3 in one interface..
So I ask:

Is there anyway to have the movie embed within MM instead of popping up in another window??

Im using in_VID4WA.dll to allow video in MM3.

Is this possible and if so..would you be willing to do it?

I think this would complete the domination of MM over all other media players!
The next version of the plugin will play from an embedded window within MM. I have this working, but needs a lot of polishing.
I've been off the forum for a while, but I'd really like to try and get back into this in the next week or two!

Beyond that - I'm really hoping the MM guys will introduce native video support - and with any luck, this plugin will become obsolete!

Cheers,
Ian.
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Owyn wrote:Finding a lot of problems with Play Now of .M4V files. Getting MM lockups and external exceptions.
End up having to kill MM and VLC hung processes.
Leaving installed to allow automatic download of video podcast episodes, but, otherwise using Find More From Same-Folder(Explorer) to locate & play episodes.
yeah - I've noticed some really bad behaviour too when I queue up a bunch of vids too - some nasty hangs.
Apologies - I'm looking to make my next version a lot better on this front, but good that the plugin is still useful for vodcasts...

Ian.
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

I've now released version 2 of this plugin.

Improvements:

(1) Ditches the need for VLC over HTTP. Won't get tangled with Windows Firewall, more efficient
(2) Easier to install, less moving parts (one auto script and the input plugin DLL)
(3) Now runs out of a dockable window within MM via the VLC ActiveXControl (double click for fullscreen mode, double click to get back). Use the view menu to hide/show the panel.
(4) Support for MOV and MP4 filetypes added
(5) More stable - no hangs so far
(6) Works with playlists now
(7) Seek bar now accurate and responsive

Available at http://mm2vlc.sorbello.net.au
I hope you like the improvements.

Ian Sorbello.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Thanks for the update. Installed and ran a quick test.

The only negative so far is that I could not set an Always On Top attribute for the new VLC panel. My normal usage is to have a fairly small video window parked to watch/listen to vodcasts while doing other things on the system. I have to keep MM visible to see VLC panel.

General video files (ie. not podcasts) are still only playable from My Computer. Add/Recsan will not add them to Library.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Thanks for the feedback!

I'll take a look on the scripting wiki and see if there's a way that the "always on top" flag can be configured.
As for add/rescan not working, do you mean that the movie and video filetypes are not getting added to your library?
That you are loading them from the file system node?

Ian.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

That is correct.
e.g. I tested using My Computer->"G:\Media\Video\TV\_To Watch" and was able to see the ,AVI files in the folder and play one. I then used Add/Rescan on that folder but did not have a Library->Location->"G:Media\Video\..." folder. This problem persists from the first version.

Another minor problem. I undocked the default left vertical panel and resized it to an appropriate smaller video panel. The panel title bar is truncated vertically and the close(X) icon is not functioning. I had to uncheck View->"MM2VLC Video Panel" to hide the panel.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Owyn wrote:That is correct.
e.g. I tested using My Computer->"G:\Media\Video\TV\_To Watch" and was able to see the ,AVI files in the folder and play one. I then used Add/Rescan on that folder but did not have a Library->Location->"G:Media\Video\..." folder. This problem persists from the first version.
Are you ticking the appropriate filetypes that you should now be able to select in the Add/Rescan Folders dialog?
The "Add File Types" multi-select list now comes up with the additional filetypes registered by the plugin.

After you do that, the files wil list in your liibrary, but they will group initially under the album "Unknown".
I've been using a pseudo Album grouping mechanism using the standard "Album" and "Title" tags.

Another quick option is a video collection node that was developed Trixmoto (http://trixmoto.net/mm/scripts.php?id=4). Not too useful with a massive movie library, but it helped me get started after my initial import.
Another minor problem. I undocked the default left vertical panel and resized it to an appropriate smaller video panel. The panel title bar is truncated vertically and the close(X) icon is not functioning. I had to uncheck View->"MM2VLC Video Panel" to hide the panel.
I'm struggling to understand what happens here. I can move the dockable window around, resize and close OK using the X icon. I might need some more detail if you feel like going into it.

Ian.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Duh. Yeah I did not have AVI, M4V, etc. checked in Add/Rescan dialog. Works now.

The truncated title bar looks like:

Retested and the Close icon is active if I position the cursor very carefully.
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

Owyn wrote:Duh. Yeah I did not have AVI, M4V, etc. checked in Add/Rescan dialog. Works now.
Excellent! :P
Owyn wrote:The truncated title bar looks like:
Got it - yeah I can sort of see that too. My MM skin is different to yours, and it's not quite so bad, but still tucks under the window edge.
Not much I can do here as this is just a basic dockable window as per MM script - and it seems to me to be more of a Windows Aero styling issue (perhaps)...

Also - I've been hunting for a means of keeping the undocked window visible if MM is minimised, but I'm not having much luck. I might ask a general question to the scripters here and see if they have any clues... but I'm a bit stuck on that one. I've always been thinking that the best solution was to embed into MM itself, with my Version 1 script using VLC as an external player considered more, well, "clunky". But in the version 1 case - you can at least have VLC running in a window on it's own with MM minimised... So i've kind of stuffed that capability without realising it. :o

ian.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Version 1 & 2 both have no access to VLC controls, so, even with V1 you could not set Always on Top on the external player window.

Hmmm. Need to see what Trix did for "External Panels" in MonkeyRok. Have not played with them but they may be the solution to your problem.

Edit: PS. I have most Aero effects disabled on this system.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Owyn wrote:Duh. Yeah I did not have AVI, M4V, etc. checked in Add/Rescan dialog. Works now.

The truncated title bar looks like:

It's an MM bug. The same happens with any other panel.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

nohitter151 wrote:It's an MM bug. The same happens with any other panel.
Is it in Mantis?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Owyn wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:It's an MM bug. The same happens with any other panel.
Is it in Mantis?
I don't think so.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

FYI: I had to do a little playing with preferences to get file associations the way I wanted them.

In MM Tools->Options->General->File Types
-- Select All
-- Uncheck re-associate filetypes at startup

Then, In VLC Tools->Preferences->Interface->File Associations
-- Check all Video file types
-- Apply & Save changes

ie. I want VLC and not MM to be my default video player.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Some other usability points.
- The VLC panel hides whenever MM loses focus, even if the MM main window is completely visible on the desktop.
- For some reason I have to use the View menu to unhide the VLC panel, even when it is checked. It may be a result of having closed the panel at one point.
- It would be useful to have a Maximize and/or full screen icon for the panel.