Last.FM Node: dynamic node based on last.fm 2020.04.19 [MM3][MM4]

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

matthewhargrove

Re: Last.FM Node: dynamic node based on last.fm 2009.08.17 [MM3]

Post by matthewhargrove »

Last.FM DJ works great, but sometimes strays away from, and never "re-visits" the original artist I put in. Is there any way of having it go back to that original artist every once in a while?

My example is, that I want to build a mix based on the band the "Hank Dogs". They are in the database so it starts well and sends the DJ down the right path. Problem is, that they are kind of obscure, so none of the following tracks seem to ever lead back to the band I started with, the Hank Dogs. I have been on DJ mode for 24 hours, and it has never played a second Hank Dogs song.

Is there any way to tell it to go back to whatever band seeded the original mix every so often, or even on a regular interval, if it has not played recently?

THANKS!
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

no there is no way within the script to do that, but you could create schedule to start a particular track every few hours.

alternatively, in the last.fm node options, you can adjust the artist/track repeat limit so that there is more or less time before possible repeats. Just hold the mouse over the various options for more info.

this might help on the more obscure stuff, but really it all depends on what last.fm provides for related tracks and what you have available in your library. Some tracks/artists have a very tight relation list, while others have a huge range of relations.

personally if it gets off track from what I'm in the mood for, I just manually pick a track from one of my 'favorites' type playlists depending on what mood I happen to be in and let it play from there.
matthewhargrove

Post by matthewhargrove »

Teknojnky wrote:personally if it gets off track from what I'm in the mood for, I just manually pick a track from one of my 'favorites' type playlists depending on what mood I happen to be in and let it play from there.
Thanks, this solution seems to work!

On a related issue, is there anyway to configure the options so it sticks within a certain time frame, or at least stays anchored? When I try to get a stream of older music going 60's/70's it very quickly moves to newer bands. Twice from the Rolling stones I got into an exclusively 2000's setlist within four plays. I don't mind getting some newer stuff in there, but it seems to go there quickly and stay there.

Also, can the options be configured to choose songs that have been played the least? I want to hear songs I have not heard in a while, not just popular songs.

Is there a FAQ on configuration?

Thanks again for the help. This is by far my favorite plug-in!
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

you can sort by different ways including playcount or last played, but this only affects when you have more than one copy of a particular song.

really it all boils down to what songs lastfm returns and what you have in your library.

My library is over 150k tracks, so my 60/70s tends to last for hours before swinging, but there is also the random effect where an old song will have newer songs and you just happen to get a newer song (which in turn references other newer songs).

you could try uncheck dj random, and this will straight pull the top selected ## of tracks related to the current track without picking a random one, ie:

if you play neil young - heart of gold, it will play the first available track(s) that passes your repeat restrictions from these tracks.

enabling dj random will play a random usable track, here you can see there is a little variety, but other tracks have a far greater mix of new/old related tracks.
clem

Post by clem »

Feature suggestion:

[Kick me if it's already in there, but I couldn't find it]

Option to play similar album instead of similar track.

Behaviour: When last track on playlist is reached (i.e. no more tracks queued after it), looks for similar track based on currently playing (so far, so the same). Then instead of queuing similar track, queues the entire album this track is on (or one of the albums this track is on that has the same artist (i.e. not VA for example, so no compilations).

If no album is found, just queues single track (i.e. current standard behaviour).

Reasons:
1. revert to old fashioned album playing, like back in the old CD-player days, yeah!
2. Prevents only "hits" playing (I have fairly large (I think) collection of ~12000 tracks), because by Last.fm's methodology "hits" (i.e. often played tracks in the Last.fm community) have a higher chance of being a similar track to any given track. I love the script as it is, it's just I find that currently playlists tend to get a little samey after a while because the "hits" get picked disproportionally often - while lots of tracks seem to get ignored.

Good idea?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

I believe there are some other scripts which can play albums, but I don't think they are based on last.fm.

You can run last.fm dj mode with the other scripts or auto-dj scripts to get closer to the variety you want.

if you have too much same tracks alot, you should increase the replay time restriction.

For example, I generally keep my artist replay time @ about 4 hours, and the track replay time about about 3 weeks (20 days).

that way I rarely will get repeats unless I manually queue something.
zarkiwarki

Post by zarkiwarki »

Hi,
first of all... very nice script...

just one question...
is it possible to blacklist files / genres / album-interprets?

tried it with the mm filters and as far as the song-browser goes they are gone. but lastfm DJ still adds these files to the playlist...

so are there any other possibilities to solve this problem for me?

thx
zarki
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

it should work as far as I know, the active filter should be applied when searching for usable tracks.

there may be an issue if your filter is too restrictive and there are not enough tracks for last.fm to use, then it will use a random track from your entire library (otherwise it would just stop).

you could try enabling the debug log in the last.fm node options and checking what is happening.. it should say if there are not enough tracks found.
zarkiwarki

Post by zarkiwarki »

thx for the quick reply...

well... i just excluded all of the compilation stuff i got + some melodic soundtracks...
but the music db is still something about 7000 files large so there is definitely enough to choose from...

i enabled the log but damn... ^^
any hint what im looking for?
like line start / ends with?
already searched the LastFmNode.vbs.log for failed, error, none, missing and no but nothing pops up...

btw: if i do a search via searchbox for "compilation" i still find the excluded music... but thats the only way (at least i know of)... the songbrowser wont list compilations...
im using "compilation" in the album-interpret-field and added this as a no-go-rule in my active filter...
maybe one of these causes the problem...?
extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi »

hi,
I really like this last.fm node script. Unfortunately with the "dj mode" , when it fails to find something similar , it picks always the same track. Isn't it supposed to be random ?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

extrabigmehdi wrote:hi,
I really like this last.fm node script. Unfortunately with the "dj mode" , when it fails to find something similar , it picks always the same track. Isn't it supposed to be random ?

I'm guessing that the track is the only one with a 3 star rating?

you will have to either rate more tracks or open the lastfmnode.vbs file and find the code below and change the 66 to -1 to use all tracks.

Code: Select all

Sub GenerateNewTrack()
  logme " all else failed, adding random track"
  Dim Iter, ID, GenerateNewTrack 'borrowed from sample auto-dj script'
'   SDB.Database.Commit
'   SDB.Database.BeginTransaction
  Set Iter = SDB.Database.OpenSQL("SELECT ID, Rating "&_
    "FROM Songs  "&_
    "WHERE Rating >= 66 " & AddFilter &_
    " ORDER BY random(*)")
  ID = Iter.ValueByIndex(0)
  Set Iter = SDB.Database.QuerySongs( "ID=" & ID)
'   SDB.Database.Commit
  Set GenerateNewTrack = Iter.Item
  SDB.Player.PlaylistAddTrack GenerateNewTrack
  Set Iter = Nothing
End Sub
extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi »

I'm guessing that the track is the only one with a 3 star rating?
I don't rate any of my tracks, but this one was rated accidentally.

So I guess , I have to rate some of my tracks then .... :-?

Side note: I got first ws.audioscrobbler.com dns blocked in my hosts file (because I use Hosts manager from Bluetack, unblocked now) , and got everytime the same mentioned track. However removing it from library, made the script "last.fm node" crash miserably.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

yea it could behave better when there are no usable tracks (ie empty library or unrated).

if you don't want ratings, don't use them, just make the edit to the vbs file.

also check the last.fm node options to make sure the min ratings is set to -1 (for all tracks).
extrabigmehdi

Post by extrabigmehdi »

ok,
here's an idea when last.fm node doesn't find any similar artist in library :
look to the top tags associated to currently played artist,
then try to to find one top artist associated to these tags in library.
I say this , because it's weird to jump from "dark electro" music to classical for instance.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

already does something like that.

if there no related tracks found, then similar artists are checked for, then a random similar artist is picked and a random top track from the similar artist is picked. If none of that finds a usable track, then the process is repeated with relaxed timer restrictions.

You can control the timer restrictions (track repeat and artist repeat) and search checks in the last fm node options.

the add random track from library is a last ditch effort to make sure that play isn't interupted.

also, if you enable the logging, you can open the log file and see what is going on.