Genre Finder 5.0 - Updated 05/08/2012

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 4.5 - Updated 11/07/2010

Post by trixmoto »

mkoat wrote:New MM user and must say that this script was among the decision making points for me in regards to picking a music db software. You've done some outstanding work, and so I must make a post that praises your script
Thanks a lot, I'm glad you like it. :D
mkoat wrote:The basic idea here would be to take a selection of genres from an artist/album/or even a multi-track search, and apply them to an album, or set of tracks. Allowing you to chose the individual values returned from the search, but apply the standard set of genre values to an album or collection of tracks.
This isn't really how the script works at all, because it always applies values per track. I could look at trying to add a mode to cope with this idea, but I can't promise anything.
mkoat wrote:if there were an option to make the genre finder auto-deselect decades that are inconsistent with the id3 year, it could really add something.
Yeah, I think I could add an option to do that in the next version.
mkoat wrote:If the text string of the genre is x% identical with another genre already in the collection, it offers the user a merge/assimilate option.
I think I could add a button on the option sheet to tidy up the genres table - although I don't think I've ever experienced a problem with multiple genre values the same.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Monkey1234 wrote:Just to confirm - the genre scan is working properly now and filling in the tags. Truly awesome script - thanks for the quick help as well!
Great. That was a bit of a confusing error. :D
Curious though - Is it a limitation of the MM environment to have to add the tracks to the library before scanning in those modes or just the design you chose?
-The library is a SQLite database which contains a super-set of the information maintained in the track meta-data (e.g. play history).
-It is much faster to retrieve and update data in the database
-Track tagging is much more robust and faster for library tracks. The library data is updated almost immediately and the tracks are updated one at a time from a tagging que.
-Some entities, such as Artist, are only available from the library
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
sonofjon

Post by sonofjon »

@trixmoto: Thanks for fixing the Custom5 and Comment fields in the latest update. Any chance that you would consider adding more output fields in future versions? One particular field that I am missing is Grouping, which I use a major genre field (Blues, Rock, Classic, etc.; I put sub-genres like punk, synth-pop, death metal, etc. in the Genre field).

Thanks for your awesome scripts!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Yes, shouldn't be a problem. Any more whilst I'm at it?
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
sonofjon

Post by sonofjon »

Great! Original year would also be useful. I have lots of reissued records, and it would be nice to be able to use GenreFinder to fill the the Original year field. This idea comes from the Picard Last.fm plus plugin.

http://tiptoes.hobby-site.com/mbz/lastf ... mplus.html
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Last.fm is a an unlikely source of Original Year.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

This script is currently designed to ignore numeric values and I was planning (at some point) to write a separate script to find years. However, I think in the next version I'll take a look and see if I can make it part of this script.
jonp

Post by jonp »

Original Year would be a great addition to this or another script :D
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

sonofjon wrote:Original year would also be useful. I have lots of reissued records, and it would be nice to be able to use GenreFinder to fill the the Original year field.
There are two problems with this...

1) I think you'd want "Year" to be the highest 4-digit number and "Original Year" to be the lowest 4-digit number - but this would be difficult to implement in this script, especially if not everyone wants to follow this assumption.

2) I don't think Last.Fms tags are the best way to find out the year - whilst some do crop up I don't think the data is reliable enough to gain accurate results.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

mkoat wrote:if there were an option to make the genre finder auto-deselect decades that are inconsistent with the id3 year, it could really add something.
I like this idea - but what if the year is wrong? For example, it may be a track originally released in the 80s but re-released in 2010. In this case you might want the decade of both releases, surely?
Mars74

Post by Mars74 »

Agree for LastFM being inaccurate regarding original year. I personally use discogs.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

AMG is my usual on-line source of original recording/issue date for albums.

I have also used AMG Artist songs to trace down original recording date.

Unfortunately AMG's API is only available to paid subscribers. And it ain't cheap. e.g. Microsoft and Amazon use the service.

The other solution is liner notes and a magnifying glass.
sonofjon

Post by sonofjon »

@trixmoto: OK, I suppose you are right. I thought perhaps since it is implemented in Last.fm plus (Picard plugin) it would work.

@MArs74: Do you do that manually, or can you use the discogs tagger?
Mars74

Post by Mars74 »

Actually, little bit ashamed ... but never looked for an auto Discog tagger .... will try asap
:D great thx, sonofjon :D & thx trix for all your wondefull scripts
trixmoto

Re: Genre Finder 4.6 - Updated 20/07/2010

Post by trixmoto »

New version (4.6) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed multiple items in keep list not working
- Added option to automatically translate values using fuzzy matching
- Added Grouping to field option dropdowns
- Added option to ignore decades

The option to automatically translate values will look at all the values currently in the database for a field and create a fuzzy value. All values from Last.Fm will also be made fuzzy and compared to this value in an attempt to translate it into an existing value. Fuzzy matching includes...

- Different cases, eg. "Pop rock" and "Pop Rock"
- Different punctuation, eg. "Hip hop" and "Hip-hop"
- Different and-ings, eg. "R'n'B" and "R&B"
- Plurals and non-plurals, eg. "Guitar" and "Guitars"

Therefore if you have "Hip-Hop" in your library and Last.Fm suggestions "Hip hop", it will be automatically translated into "Hip-Hop" before checking the white/black/keep lists.