VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Owyn

Re: VLC Player plugin (MM2VLC)

Post by Owyn »

:D
Yeah. VLC not installed at all would definitely cause this problem.

FYI: I usually get my updates for VLC from Download.com.
http://download.cnet.com/VLC-Media-Play ... 67151.html
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
Penno

Post by Penno »

Thanks Owen,
Once I realised what VLC was and have now installed v1.1, reading back through the conversations suddenly makes a lot more sense!!!
Anyway, I got the latest version amd installed and now have it working in MM in a internal panel - looks fantastic. Although the sound from video is WAY louder than my audio library level

The question I have is (hope this isnt as dumb as the last one) - I dont seem to be able to see .mpg video files. I have all file types selected in options but is this an unsupported format? or am I still misiing something?

Thanks for your help
regards
Penno
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Hmmm. Ian has not implemented MPG as one of the supported file types. However, try renaming a MPG file to MP4. That might work around the problem.
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

PS: You should be able to open the file directly with VLC. Either Windows Explorer->Open/Open With or VLC->File->Open should do the trick.

e.g. I can currently watching a movie in a VLC window. I prefer this for general video so that I have full access to the VLC controls.

I usually just use the MM2VLC plug-in to download and watch video podcasts.
Penno

Post by Penno »

Thanks Owen
Ive tried renaming the file extension but it doesnt seem to do the trick. Although Im in windows 7 and it seems not like changing extensions but seems to think you want to rename a file xxx'.mp4. - rather than change the extension

So Ive been converting the files using Any Video Converter, which seems to be doing the job, although its laborious and throws the converted file out to a new folder location, rather than leaving them in where they reside

I can open them using the VLC Ok, but Im mostly veiwing guitar instruction videos. These are normally accompanied by a pdf booklet which we be useful to have the abilty to see the document, if not view it in MM. I ve seen your input to this idea on another thread and would add my support.

I guess Im at the same stage as everyone now with this plug in, does everyone find the panel does not remain in the same position on open and close of MM?

Thanks and regards
Penno
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

In the case you mentioned I wouldn't bother to make the files MM2VLC compatible.

The way I would (and do) handle this situation is to:
- Open the PDF in a full window
- Play the video in a relatively small VLC window with always on top set.

This is very useful when practicing technique as you can use the VLC controls to help with the practice.

e.g.:
"-" Slow down playback (great for watching fingering). Audio stays relatively in sync to about 25% of real time.
"+" Speed up
"=" Back to normal (real time) speed
"Shift-Left" Small backwards jump
etc.

See VLC->Tools->Preferences->Hot Keys for more info.
Penno

Post by Penno »

Hi Owyn,
Wow, great idea.
At the moment, MM2VLC is actually helping me organise my library a little better since I can view, rename, add covers etc . Although the problem is that if auto organise is checked in MM, the video file can get seperated from the pdf.

I know this is off thread subject now but would you have any ideas of how best to organsie video with document libraries ?

Thanks and regards
Penno
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Nothing automatic comes to mind. As a general rule, I would keep them in the same folder and make the filename the same for the video and the document file.

Also, I think that property edits for video files via MM2VLC are local to the MM database. i.e. the tags don't actually get written to the files.
xony

Post by xony »

Hello, the plugin was working fine for me for a few weeks but recently I get an Error everytime I try to play a file with MM2VLC (e.g. an mkv file).

"CLSIDfromProgID() failed"

Any thoughts?
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

Can you play the files directly in VLC?
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

xony wrote:Hello, the plugin was working fine for me for a few weeks but recently I get an Error everytime I try to play a file with MM2VLC (e.g. an mkv file).

"CLSIDfromProgID() failed"

Any thoughts?
Hi xony,

Someone else once had this error - the issue was access permissions to the registry. Running MM with admin privileges did the trick, but that begs the question why this might only be happening for you just now. Then again, it might also be another problem altogether. Try running as admin and see if that works.

Ian.
xony

Post by xony »

Thanks for the suggestion Ian, but before I could try it out I suddenly got a new error.

I messed with a few dlls regarding EDCast, since that was the only change to MM I did since I used MM2VLC the last time in a working configuration.

Now it reads at every MM startup:

Error #-2147024470 - SongsDB.SDBUI
The specified module could not be found
File: "C:\Program Files(x86)\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\mm2vlc.vbs", Line: 18, Column: 4

Media playback in VLC works fine. I have version 1.1.1, but it didn't work with 1.1.0 already. But I'll try fiddling around with the VLC versions anyway.
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

xony wrote: Error #-2147024470 - SongsDB.SDBUI
The specified module could not be found
File: "C:\Program Files(x86)\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\mm2vlc.vbs", Line: 18, Column: 4
Media playback in VLC works fine. I have version 1.1.1, but it didn't work with 1.1.0 already. But I'll try fiddling around with the VLC versions anyway.
OK - I just upgraded to 1.1.1 and things are working OK (so we know it can work). Cold comfort when a developer gives you the line: "strange, it works on my machine...".

Anyway, earlier in this thread, @Owyn noted that things broke when he upgraded to v1.1.0 - but fixed it by an uninstall of VLC and re-install. Maybe this too can help.

Line 18 in the script above suggests that the VLC ActiveX Control is not being instantiated properly. It's blowing up when the control is referenced. This is most likely the install of VLC not registering the control properly. Maybe this too is a permission issue too? I suspect you had permission issues before you did the VLC upgrade.

Have you used regedit.exe before? It would be good to see how VLC has registered. Can you tell if HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2 exists? If you haven't used regedit, let me know and I can walk you throught it.

Ian.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

One other thing, checking my notes, I also exited MM prior to the re-install of VLC.
Will test VLC 1.1.1 install shortly on my system. I have several updates stacked up and I tend to do them in a batch (and after my regular backup is complete).
xony

Post by xony »

Finally got it working! With 1.1.1 even.

Still unclear what did the trick, thou. Exited MM, reinstalled VLC, ran it as admin once, then it worked.

Had to be one of those two things...

Thanks again for the fast support! Had nearly given up.