1299 "Track Volume" inaccurate for non-default target

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

1299 "Track Volume" inaccurate for non-default target

Post by chrisjj »

Assuming Help topic Basic Concepts
Replay Gain implementations use a multi-phase approach: first track volumes are analyzed and the resulting coefficient is saved to the track's tag (Track gain).
Assuming this is referring to the field names Track Volume on the track list and REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN in Help's Track Properties & Tag Formats (since there's is no other tag nearer in name to Track Gain), then Track Volume on the track list / Now Playing list is displaying a wrong value when Target volume for leveling tracks is not at the default value of 89dB.

e.g. with Target volume for leveling tracks at 83dB, Track Volume displays a value which is 6dB different from the actual REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag value in the file, as displayed by e.g. Mp3tag and Foobar2000.

For example, it displays -5.7dB for a true REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN tag value of +0.3dB:

Chris
Peke

Re: 1299 "Track Volume" inaccurate for non-default target

Post by Peke »

For me it looks OK, or maybe I do not see it correctly. Track Volume is not RAW Gain Value written in TAG.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote:Track Volume is not RAW Gain Value written in TAG.
Surely it should be. Else how else is one to see the track gain?
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

Target volume for leveling tracks would be wrong if it shows +0.3 Db as for getting true 83db output you need to apply -5.7Db both Mp3tag and Foobar2000 shows TAG Data and not actual Gain level needed to play at selected volume.
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote:Target volume for leveling tracks would be wrong if it shows +0.3 Db as for getting true 83db output you need to apply -5.7Db both Mp3tag and Foobar2000 shows TAG Data and not actual Gain level needed to play at selected volume.
Peke, you seem to have a definition of Track Volume but I can find no explicit one in the docs. Could you please tell me the definition?
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

There is no definition for that.
Track Volume is playback gain index calculated on TAG and Tools > Options > Player > Volume Leveling by default and standard (Audio CD red book) 89db is reference.

Same goes for hardware mixers that have gain counter it will not show you actual gain of song in reference to 89db but it will show you actual gain you use.

MP3tag and footbar2000 from what I know do not have setting that will set output gain of player and if they do than gain should be shown like in MM.
as +0.3 in reference to 89db os correct but showing +0.3 in reference to 83db is bug.

Read this from MM help:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... veling.htm
Volume Leveling paragraph at http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ncepts.htm
Best regards,
Peke
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote:There is no definition for that.
Track Volume is playback gain index calculated on TAG and Tools > Options > Player > Volume Leveling by default and standard (Audio CD red book) 89db is reference.
Sounds like a definition to me! :)

And even though it is not clear in meaning to me, I can see it IS saying that Track Volume depends not just on REPLAYGAIN_TRACK_GAIN but also on MM settings that may have changed since Analyze. Then I retract my bug report.

But I cannot understand why anyone would want this behaviour. And if they did, surely the property name should indicate that this "Track Volume" is specific to MM playback AND DOES NOT NECESSARILY AFFECT device playback or conversion.
Read this from MM help:
I did already thanks. It's only mention of "track volume"

Replay Gain implementations use a multi-phase approach: first track volumes are analyzed and the resulting coefficient is saved to the track's tag (Track gain)

accords with my assuption in the original report, and does not accord with your definition. I think this Help should be clarified to show it IS NOT referring to what the MM UI calls "Track Volume".

Thanks. Peke.
Chris