Rating by Album and Track [#6692]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see the ability to set my own Album Rating

You may select 1 option

View results

ravenstine

Rating by Album and Track [#6692]

Post by ravenstine »

I listen to music at home almost totally by the Album while my MP3 player is much more likely to be used to play random or selected tracks. To this end I would really like to separate the rating for the album and the tracks on the album. Just setting all tracks on an album to the rating for the album causes auto playlists to pick inappropriate songs as even the best album has a few dogs on it. For me I really want the ability to rate the albums and then the ability to tag the best tracks for auto playlists.
nohitter151

Re: Rating by Album and Track

Post by nohitter151 »

+1

Agreed. Sometimes the album as a whole is better than the sum of its parts.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

might be alright if you had all the songs by the same artist on the album

but when your version of mediamonkey is causing all various artist albums to be made in to one song per artist albums
with the same album name.

then when it rates by song it is rating by album.?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Muunkey

Post by Muunkey »

Would love to see this feature too.
just_any_1

Post by just_any_1 »

Ditto on the Album Rating.
Livionium

Post by Livionium »

Yes, I've wanted this for a long time.

+1
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

nohitter151 wrote:Sometimes the album as a whole is better than the sum of its parts.
true.

I add my suport to your wish.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
jcraigmckay

Post by jcraigmckay »

I agree
Vlabey

Post by Vlabey »

I strongly second this.

+1
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think I will use this as I don't "use" albums myself (I play tracks not albums), but I do think it would be a good addition.

Added to Mantis: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6692
MikeCerm

Re: Rating by Album and Track [#6692]

Post by MikeCerm »

I don't think that this really makes much sense, because there's not a standard way to do it in tags (like there is with Artist, Album, etc.). If you want to use this non-standard tag in MediaMonkey, you already can using one of the 5 "Custom" tags, or comments. Just use Custom Tag 1 and stick a 1-5 number in there, or use a simplified name (like AR1, AR2, etc.) if you need a reminded that the number corresponds to Album Rating.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MikeCerm wrote:I don't think that this really makes much sense, because there's not a standard way to do it in tags (like there is with Artist, Album, etc.). If you want to use this non-standard tag in MediaMonkey, you already can using one of the 5 "Custom" tags, or comments. Just use Custom Tag 1 and stick a 1-5 number in there, or use a simplified name (like AR1, AR2, etc.) if you need a reminded that the number corresponds to Album Rating.
True, but there are two problems with that:

1. It doesn't make it easy to make sure an "Album rating" is actually the same for all tracks of the same album
2. It's not convenient in terms of looking at the album rating visually; eg. you have to look at a number instead of "stars"

For me it's not about storing that information to the tag (I could care less about keeping that information in the actual song file). I would actually prefer that it is a database-only value that I can use for autoplaylists, etc. and is convenient (eg. I can set it for one track and it automatically be applied to any other tracks of the same album, even if those tracks are added to the library at a later date in time).
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Magic Nodes add-on has several nodes within its Album Ratings group, e.g. "Albums with avg. track rating >= 4 stars", "Albums with avg. track ratings >= 3 and less than 4" and so on. Each album within those nodes has displayed the average rating next to its name. Albums also could be sorted by that value (if you modify Sort by quelifier), and you could also add your own nodes with similar filters and/or different sub-nodes.

RegExp Find & Replace add-on has the preset "Assign weighted average Rating of album to <Into Field>..." where you could define into which field you want to store that information, e.g. Custom 1. Of curse, using this preset you would get all tracks from some album with same "Album rating" value.

Honestly, I cannot see a point for users to enter such information manually. In my opinion, this is something which should be automatically calculated based on individual Track Rating values. Let say that I have one album with one track rated 5 stars and 6 tracks rated 2 stars each. I think it is most convenient to rate such album using average ratings of all such tracks (5 + 6 * 2) / 7 = 2.42 stars. Even more better, you could use the weighted average ratings where longer tracks has greater weight in calculation. For example, if I have one album with one track of 20 minutes rated 5 stars and 6 tracks of approx. 4 minutes rated 2 stars each, the weighted average would be (20 * 5 + 6 * 4 * 2) / (20 + 6 * 4) = 3.36 stars.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Boombeat

Post by Boombeat »

+1
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Album ratings Please