'Reading files' and slow start up

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

'Reading files' and slow start up

Post by Guest »

So i am experiencing a slow start up when first opening mediamonkey as it takes 20-30 seconds to read my 25,000 song library. Is there a definitive answer on how to fix this?
Lowlander

Re: 'Reading files' and slow start up

Post by Lowlander »

Don't maintain a large Now Playing, don't startup with all the files in the Tracklisting and don't startup in the My Computer node.

Post by Guest »

I'm almost certain the cause is that there is a large number of songs in the 'now playing' list at startup. I don't know how to prevent this from occuring though. Is there a step by step process to perform so that i have a minimal amount of songs in my 'now playing' list at startup?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Don't add that many files and there won't be that many files in the Now Playing.

You might want to check out Auto-DJ (Tools > Options > Auto-DJ) as it can auto-delete as well as auto-add tracks to Now Playing allowing you to maintain only a few tracks in the Now Playing.

Also check the 'Play Now' Action settings (Tools > Options > Player) and change to selected tracks if you don't want to add that many tracks to the Now Playing.

Post by Guest »

I have changed the 'Play Now' Action to "Clear tracks & play selected tracks only". This does clear out the now playing list and it now loads quickly for me at startup.

The problem is when i'm playing a song i would like it to automatically start playing the next song on the album when the song finishes but with "Clear tracks & play selected tracks only" selected, it only plays that song and doesn't play any new tracks at all.

I have used Auto-Dj to to automatically maintain at least X upcoming tracks in the Now Playing list, but the problem is it randomly selects the songs. Is there a way to use Auto-DJ but have it load the next song on the album instead of it randomizing the songs it picks?

Thank you for your very timely responses Lowlander
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just select the whole album when you want to play it instead of a single track.

Auto-DJ can be set to play a playlist and you can make elaborate setups, but you can't have it select the next track on the album based on the last track.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

You might be interested in the "Auto Album DJ" script.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... lit=autodj
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

Post by Guest »

I think Trix made another script named "Clear Now Playing 2.0". It sounds like that script will remove all the songs from the now playing list when you exit out of mediamonkey so that on the next restart it doesn't have to read all the tracks and will start up fast.

I tried installing it and said it installed successfully but i don't see any difference (every time i open mediamonkey, all the songs are still on the now playing list and loads slow). I'm sure i'm just making a stupid mistake but do you have any familiarity with Trix's Clear Now Playing script? I'll give the other script you just referred a look at, but not sure it's exactly what i'm after.

Big thanks for your help
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

I use the "Clear Now Playing Button" script. There is a "Clear" button at the bottom of the now playing list that is convenient to use upon closing MM or at any time.
Can't afford a signature.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

GeraldB wrote:I use the "Clear Now Playing Button" script. There is a "Clear" button at the bottom of the now playing list that is convenient to use upon closing MM or at any time.
That's there if you enable the "Show now playing controls" toolbar in now playing by default, it's not a script.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Oh: I now see the script does something else and I'm not even using its features. Thanks.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

Uh... I deleted the Clear Now Playing Button script and - the Clear button disappeared from the Now Playing Controls bar.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Wouldn't that be expected?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

GeraldB wrote:Uh... I deleted the Clear Now Playing Button script and - the Clear button disappeared from the Now Playing Controls bar.
You're right, I guess I was wrong! I forgot I had ever installed that script.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
GeraldB

Post by GeraldB »

I use it a lot; it probably should be included by default.