How can I refresh the contents of an imported m3u playlist?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nomada

How can I refresh the contents of an imported m3u playlist?

Post by nomada »

I imported an m3u playlist into MM. The m3u playlist then changed externally and I was hoping the Add\rescan feature would rescan the file and add the new songs but it didn't.

anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks.
nohitter151

Re: How can I refresh the contents of an imported m3u playli

Post by nohitter151 »

Remove and rescan.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Tigzy

Post by Tigzy »

Hello
I'm having the same issue (I'm a paid user).
My library is sync'ed with a NAS through a shared drive, and the Playlist directory has several M3U files imported in MM.
The idea is that shared drive can be modified externally (that's a NAS), so new music added are pretty well detected but changes in playlists are not reflected at all.
Would be cool to add the original location of the playlist (when imported), and have a context menu "Refresh content" that rescans that original location to sync with it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Tigzy wrote:Hello
I'm having the same issue (I'm a paid user).
My library is sync'ed with a NAS through a shared drive, and the Playlist directory has several M3U files imported in MM.
The idea is that shared drive can be modified externally (that's a NAS), so new music added are pretty well detected but changes in playlists are not reflected at all.
MM imports playlists one time and then incorporates them into its own database, never altering the actual playlist file.

So the only way to refresh the playlist is to remove the playlist from the library and rescan.

If you are not using MM to manage your playlists and metadata you might be served better by using MM as a client only and accessing the playlists and music via UPnP and media sharing.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Post by Guest »

MM imports playlists one time and then incorporates them into its own database, never altering the actual playlist file.
Yes, this is the problem here actually.
So the only way to refresh the playlist is to remove the playlist from the library and rescan.
Or, as I said, keep the path to the original file and do some sync with it when we ask for it.
If you are not using MM to manage your playlists and metadata you might be served better by using MM as a client only and accessing the playlists and music via UPnP and media sharing.
Unless there's a MM plugin for Synology one day, I don't have any choice here. I want to also use MM Android app to synchronize my library, and you cannot do that with just a UPNP usage. I have to sync my playlist on MM first, then sync with Android.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you'd use MediaMonkey to manage the Playlists you can export them for Synology consumption or use the MediaMonkey UPnP (DLNA) server and also have access to AutoPlaylists (Gold feature).
nohkul

Re: How can I refresh the contents of an imported m3u playlist?

Post by nohkul »

The problem for me is that I sync some of the imported playlists to my mobile phone. When I delete the imported playlists in MM and rescan it is refreshed in MM, but they are removed from the list of playlists to sync with my mobile phone. I have to add all the playlists again. It would be nice to have MM just refresh the imported playlists.
Lowlander

Re: How can I refresh the contents of an imported m3u playlist?

Post by Lowlander »

They are different playlists at this point, which is why they need to be re-selected. This probably won't change.

I assume selecting a parent playlist will select any "new" child Playlists automatically, but that may be wrong.