MediaMonkey won't detect iPhone

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

bscott85

MediaMonkey won't detect iPhone

Post by bscott85 »

I have:

iPhone 3GS running iOS 4.2.1
Windows 7 Home 64 Bit (On a brand new REFORMAT)
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304
do NOT have iTunes installed

MediaMonkey won't detect my iPhone, Windows sees it.

help/ideas?
Lowlander

Re: MediaMonkey won't detect iPhone

Post by Lowlander »

You need to have iTunes installed for iPhone support.
bscott85

Post by bscott85 »

the whole point of me downloading mediamonkey was so that i DID NOT HAVE TO USE ITUNES

i freaking HATE iTunes

grrrrrrrrrr!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You don't have to use it. It just needs to be installed as some of it's components are required to connect to the iPhone.
bscott85

Post by bscott85 »

i dont even want it installed

because then it install quicktime
apple software updater
bonjour
creates a crap ton of random folders in my music folder and other places

its perhaps the biggest bloated pos software ive ever seen

oh well forget it im getting an android phone as soon as my ETF comes down to a reasonable price
bscott85

Post by bscott85 »

theres no other way to get those "components" ?
Paul J R

Post by Paul J R »

I saw on the Media Monkey Wiki Page / Guide to iPod Synch that you can install "Copy Trans Drivers" to avoid having to install iTunes.

I would like to use Media Monkey to sync my iPod Touch, but would like to avoid installing iTunes. So I tried to install the "Copy Trans Drivers" using the link provided. It seemed to install and had me reboot my computer. But when I tried to sync my iPod with Media Monkey, it said that "No active device was detected."

Any idea why this didn't work? Anything else that can be done to synch an iPod Touch without having to install iTunes?

Thanks, Paul
Dirac

Post by Dirac »

I cannot get this to work either. Windows 7 64-bit, MediaMonkey 3.2.4, no iTunes, CopyTransDrivers installation.

My 4G iPod shuffle works, and my iPhone worked when I had iTunes installed. Does this not work with 64-bit Windows?

EDIT: Some additional information: my iPhone shows up under Devices and Printers in the "Unspecified" category, as "Apple Mobile Device USB Driver", and "Apple iPhone" also shows up under "Devices" with the camera icon. When iTunes was installed, I could see the iPhone and what I had named it, not just these generic devices.

Also forgot, iPhone 3G v. 3.1.3.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@Dirac
Reason for that is that iTunes is also used to authorize iPhone to be used on PC :( it looks that simply installing drivers is half way to making it work.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing that authorizing also involves ability to play DRM files on the iPhone or something like that.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
FennecFoxz

Post by FennecFoxz »

Hey guys, got a 4G iPod Touch yesterday and I ran into the same problem, I found out that the MM4.0 alpha (which u may download in the forum as well) CAN detect the device, whoever, there's no playback or option to change the Album artwork at all
Wonder why is this happening, I had always used MM for it's reliability when dealing with album covers and tags, I'm kinda surprised that it doesn't work with these devices. Guess we'll have to stick with lousy iTunes for now.
Dirac

Post by Dirac »

Good to hear the iPhone/iPod Touch limitation might not be a permanent issue!
Jerryyyyy

Post by Jerryyyyy »

HI, I just downloaded those non iTunes Apple drivers, but MediaMonkey still cannot see my newly purchased on eBay iPod. It sees it as a USB mass storage device. Windows wants to reformat the disk. Is there any hope? I do not want to install iTunes for the reasons so well outlined above starting with Bloated POS....
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Jerryyyyy wrote:HI, I just downloaded those non iTunes Apple drivers, but MediaMonkey still cannot see my newly purchased on eBay iPod. It sees it as a USB mass storage device. Windows wants to reformat the disk. Is there any hope? I do not want to install iTunes for the reasons so well outlined above starting with Bloated POS....
Just install iTunes, have it repair the iPod, and then uninstall it. Really, what's the big deal?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peke

Post by Peke »

If you have Windows Ultimate or any other Virtual Machine software try it there and see what happened. You maybe got Jail broken iPhone not detectable in MM, also Verizon iPhones made few issues we have finally located See MM 3.2.5.1305 http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 85#p289485

MM can't repair iPhone corruption or initialize device. Only iTunes is authorized to do that :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rocket_pc

Post by rocket_pc »

I've got the same problem. MM/Windows won't detect my jailbroken iPod touch 32GB (3rd Generation). And I also, am opposed to installing itunes and its garbage software on my computer as a solution. Installing it and uninstalling the software is not a good solution, as I believe that damages registry in the computer.

Don