Sorting in the playlist

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

pbriggsiam

Sorting in the playlist

Post by pbriggsiam »

Hi,

I am a new user and did try and search through this forum on the subject before posting.

I am using the free version at the moment.

My question is, how do you sort in the Playlist (Now Playing). I click on the fields and nothing happens. I know that I can manually drag the titles around in order to get them in order but wondered if a one-click sort would do the trick.

Also a second question. If you have a two disc set and want to arrange them in the Now Playing window to play Disc 1 with the tracks in order and then Disc 2 with the tracks in order, can this be done. It's a grouping and sort issue in database terms I think.

Thanks,

Patrick in Pasadena, CA
Peke

Post by Peke »

1. you can't resort Now Playing according to Columns.

2. I use this to determine mine 2+ CD set: Album: Album (CD1)
Some Users reported that they use Track# 1xx for CD1 and 2xx for CD2
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It depends on you naming conventions.

If you use the album field to differentiate between different discs you would first sort on album and secondly on track # (hold ctrl key to select second and subsequent columns).

If you use track # (I do) you would just sort on track # alone.
Al_G

Post by Al_G »

Peke wrote:1. you can't resort Now Playing according to Columns.

2. I use this to determine mine 2+ CD set: Album: Album (CD1)
Some Users reported that they use Track# 1xx for CD1 and 2xx for CD2
I use the 1xx, 2xx method. It works for me because the album title has a single name (not CD1, CD1, Disc1, disk1 etc.). Sorting and album image tagging also is simplified.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

I currently use the album name method, but it's started to annoy me so I might have to write a script to convert them all into the 1xx, 2xx system. :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
lovepade-not loggend in

Post by lovepade-not loggend in »

Peke wrote:1. you can't resort Now Playing according to Columns.
CD2
Wouldn't this be a great thig for MM to do? It seams to be an easy job for the apt programmer (but what do I know?).

I miss that feature too
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Of course it's easy to add, but many users would be upset when they accidently resort the list (and those accidents happen a lot). Of course it would still be easy if they add a right click sort on this column or an option in the options to allow sorting.

I like the right click option. It adds prevention of accidental sorts, but still is relatively easy to access.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

I agree with lowlander
Deakon

Post by Deakon »

I also agree... Also, as an old user of MixMeister, I miss my option of right-clicking the playlist and choosing "randomize playlist." That way I don't have 3 AC/DC songs followed by 2 Beastie Boys... I add songs to playlists by starting in the Artist tree and working my way down the list.
-
Deakon
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

it use to be sortable in the older versions of monkey.

they changed it when they made the now playing playlist an m3u playlist.

people wanted to play the m3u playlist with some other playlers or share across a network, and i think this is how they fixed monkey so they could do that.

it is a little bothersome for me too as i am finding names i misspelled and need to sort the list for the song to fix it.

but that too is fixed by the numbers for the songs in the list just look at the number in the player and go to that number in the list.

then again i wouldn't know the songs were misspelled if i did not have djamp telling me what song was playing before it started. :roll:

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.