MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

mtgranny

Re: MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Post by mtgranny »

Dnlusa, I haven't found any. I keep an old iPod Classic set up for an old laptop XP on MM. Thats my archive. I started a new multimedia library with a new iTouch on my MACs. I tried Anapod years before MM but I dont recall how it integrated with iTunes. You can transfer a PC iTunes with preserved playlists and ratings over to a MAC iTunes, that's about it.
MT Granny
mtgranny
mtgranny

Post by mtgranny »

Blah, I tried Songbird, the last time was nearly 2 years ago. At that time I still wasn't impressed, it had nothing of what I needed that I was missing from MM. Best fit I found was BeaTunes and managing multiple iTunes libraries. I keep only 2-3 genres in each iTunes library. I can then filter and add tags and moods and build the Playlists and integrate with a specific iTunes library. It is a new way of looking at it. I can sync one of my 3 iPods to a specific library when traveling or listening over my home sound system. I could also do this over any networked computer under iTunes sharing.
I have all 7 of my iTunes Libraries synced with the same apps but I chose not to do this for the photos, movies, podcasts, etc as I don't always need these transferred to my iPod. I have an iTouch model that grabs the podcasts over my wireless so no need to sync those to listen and filter using iTunes. I have a separate iTunes library just for podcast books like LibraVox. And a separate one for the grandkids and my spouse. But I can bring any audiocast or video over to any specific iPod when I need to my adding it to the iTunes Library that I am currently syncing to.
HTH, MT Granny
PS
If you try out Songbird, I would be interested in hearing your opinion of the program.
mtgranny
Dammit

Post by Dammit »

We need a Mac Mediamonkey. This really needs to get done.
I run Mediamonkey with Paralells and while sometimes it runs smoothly it craps out a lot.
2006 is when the first post on this subject was made. Years have gone by, technology has advanced and the world is a different place.
Many of the people who have posted are obviously those who supported you when they had Windows.
Some people have made the switch to Mac and these are paying customers.
You guys have like 10000 votes for this on the current thread.
That's like more people then they needed to get Family Guy uncancelled.
At least give us some updates.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There has been an update, although no concrete plans/timeline is known/given with MediaMonkey 4 works was started on making MediaMonkey more cross-platform friendly.
LTParis

Post by LTParis »

Consider another vote for MM on OS-X. I spent the better part of a day exporting my library to iTunes, and within 15 minutes of trying to get back into iTunes I promptly removed it and am just using MM on a W7 virtual instance.

I hope this is a very high priority task. I know it will make many happy and will likely put a serious dent in iTunes usage on OS-X.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

LTParis wrote:...and will likely put a serious dent in iTunes usage on OS-X.
No chance. MM usage would be tiny compared to iTunes. Be realistic.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
dnlusa

Post by dnlusa »

Too bad for Apple. I just bought a new PC (w7) just because it was too much to figure out the MM stuff on Apple. Maybe in 3/4 years I'll look into this again.
LTParis

Post by LTParis »

Dreadlau wrote:
LTParis wrote:...and will likely put a serious dent in iTunes usage on OS-X.
No chance. MM usage would be tiny compared to iTunes. Be realistic.
I think they could easily get 10% of the market. There are enough "tinkerers" and other dissatisifed iTunes people that would make the switch.

I am not saying they will get 50% of the market, but it would be enough at a minimum to spur competition.
kmenzel

Post by kmenzel »

Why would it spur competition? MediaMonkey doesn't compete with iTunes where Apple actually capitalizes on iTunes... which is from the store...

I'm not convinced that Apple really cares about how good their product is from a library management perspective...
another person just switched to mac

Post by another person just switched to mac »

This thread has been an interesting read. I have been a dedicated MM user for 6/7 years and have yet to fault it, I think it's a brilliant piece of media software and was the one reason against buying a macbook. Unfortunately it's become unavoidable and I bought a mac yesterday. itunes is appalling, there is no functionality at all which is surprising given that Apple have paid so much attention to every other aspect of the computer. I miss MM!

In short I just wanted to add my support to a mac version if it's possible to do it. Given that itunes is so bad and apple have an increasing market share surely it must be beggining to look like a more viable venture?

Nevertheless, well done on a cracking product!
Athmos

Post by Athmos »

I am also a gold MM user since years. There is nothing better than MM, but since I use a Mac I am frustrated.
First I was searching for weeks to find something similar, without success. Songbird was slow and could not compete with MM.
So I spend a lot of money and bought myself Paralles and another Windows 7 license. After I thought I found the solution (I spend almost Euro 200), I got pretty disappointed as MM runs with lots of interupts/artifacts on my Parallels installation. I can't tell why, but as it shares the Audio-files from the MAC partition I can only assume that this might be the reason. Or the driver is not working as good via the vitualization.
So again I'm sitting here and have to listen to my Audiofiles with iTunes (which sucks in regards to manage my library). Especially since the star rating in iTunes is not using the one that is used by MM. So all my ratings I have applied over the years are not shown in iTunes.
I'm pretty sure that Apple must have put some pressure on anybody who wants to produce a useful Audio-Player for MAC, otherwise I can't understand why the MM team is ignoring thousands of users to port their great software to OSX.
vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman »

Athmos wrote:I'm pretty sure that Apple must have put some pressure on anybody who wants to produce a useful Audio-Player for MAC, otherwise I can't understand why the MM team is ignoring thousands of users to port their great software to OSX.
I doubt the devs are full time dedicated to MM. Developing for Mac also probably requires learning a new programming language. I don't think Apple "put pressure" on the MM dev team.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

vpsaxman wrote:I doubt the devs are full time dedicated to MM. Developing for Mac also probably requires learning a new programming language. I don't think Apple "put pressure" on the MM dev team.
There are only ~6 devs. I think it's simply a lack of resources that prevents cross-platform development.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
doloamo

Post by doloamo »

Athmos wrote:I am also a gold MM user since years. There is nothing better than MM, but since I use a Mac I am frustrated.
First I was searching for weeks to find something similar, without success. Songbird was slow and could not compete with MM.
So I spend a lot of money and bought myself Paralles and another Windows 7 license. After I thought I found the solution (I spend almost Euro 200), I got pretty disappointed as MM runs with lots of interupts/artifacts on my Parallels installation. I can't tell why, but as it shares the Audio-files from the MAC partition I can only assume that this might be the reason. Or the driver is not working as good via the vitualization.
So again I'm sitting here and have to listen to my Audiofiles with iTunes (which sucks in regards to manage my library). Especially since the star rating in iTunes is not using the one that is used by MM. So all my ratings I have applied over the years are not shown in iTunes.
I'm pretty sure that Apple must have put some pressure on anybody who wants to produce a useful Audio-Player for MAC, otherwise I can't understand why the MM team is ignoring thousands of users to port their great software to OSX.
I had the same star rating questions before, here's the solution they provided.

Ratings are often incompatible between programs.

The easiest workaround is to create a playlist for each rating Helium, containing all the tracks with that rating. Import the playlists in MediaMonkey, select all the tracks on one of the rating playlists and set the rating accordingly for all tracks.
alambert

Post by alambert »

I don't want to cause more noise here but I am also a Gold User who switched to Mac and now my license is useless because virtualization for me is just an option to organize my collection and even tho it is a crap.

DEVs: I know and I understand it is not an easy task but PLEASE consider a Mac version !! :(