1343: OUT_WASAPI 24 bit...only noise [#7146]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

etheriau

Re: 1343: OUT_WASAPI 24 bit...only noise [#7146]

Post by etheriau »

Only noise when in exclusive mode using D4 Mamba USB DAC. Happening with 16bit 44.1 flac files.

Unchecking exclusive mode on the D4 will play fine.

Pretty sure the problem wasn't there with 1345-1346 not sure though...Not getting this issue with my benchmark DAC1.
NRGman

Post by NRGman »

^^ditto
My Setup:
"HFPC" Dell Optiplex 320 (2GB RAM, 3.0 Dual Core 1.5TB HDD) Win7 Ultimate SP1 x86
Musiland Monitor 02 US USB DAC
Nad C356BEE Integrated Amplifier
Custom 2-way loudspeakers
jiri

Post by jiri »

There hasn't been any progress, since we are not able to reproduce the issue. Let's try to find out more: Anyone having this problem, please post the following information using the latest version:

1. Build number (just to be sure you have the latest). Also make sure that you _don't_ have any DSP plug-in enabled.
2. What do you observe? There seem to be variants (a) only noise, or (b) noise after several seconds of music.
3. Which output modes cause/don't cause the problem. I.e. is there a problem in the Shared vs. Exclusive mode? In the Exclusive mode, is it in 24-bit modes only? Or all modes?
4. What kind of sound card do you use? How are speakers connected?
5. Create and e-mail me a debug log.

Thanks,
Jiri
luckyaua

Post by luckyaua »

1 - Build number 1350
2 - I listen noise immediatly and the music low volume under the noise
3 - In exclusive mode all output with 24bits depth don't work all other ok
4 - I use NVIDIA GTX 460 hdmi output linked on Hi-fi Cambridge Audio Azur 650R receiver
5 - i've just give you my log.

Thanks!
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

Just tested once again, Problem still existing:

1) Build Number 1351
2) Distorted music starts after about 15-20mins
3) Happening in Exclusive Mode, 24bit and "Automatic" settings.
4) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (latest Driver, 2 weeks old) using it's Analogue outputs.
5) I'll send logs later.

Hope this helps.
Falcon

Post by Falcon »

OK, I can reproduce by 100% now. It occurs whenever there is high CPU Utilization. Whenever this happens, the playback gets corrupted. I can reproduce this using tools like Prime95 (Torture Test) which cause high utilization over all cores. Even after stopping Prime95 and CPU utilization is back to normal, the audio playback stays corrupted. (In my kind: Very slow playback, like if playing with 1/8th playback speed or something similar, together with cracks and other noise)

This is with Build 1352 and in ALL Exclusive modes, no matter if 16bit, 24bit or Automatic!

I generated logs and will be sending them to you!

Playback using non-exclusive mode is fine, even with 100% CPU utilization running Prime95 Torture test!
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

Still having the issue with my D4 USB Dac. It will also occur on my Benchmark USB DAC every once in a while.
I sent a log file to Jiri a few weeks back hoping this can help you guys resolve this.

the WASAPI output of foobar has been around for ages, works flawlessly with any type of DAC/Soundcard I've been using....Even Itunes now has WASAPI!! (not exclusive though..)
jiri

Post by jiri »

Just to keep you updated - I still haven't be able to reproduce the issue, no matter what I have tried.

Note that I haven't receive any complete debug log yet, just some that weren't much helpful. So please generate complete debug logs (from MM start up until the issue happens) and e-mail them directly to me.

Thanks,
Jiri
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

Any update on this?
thx
Peke

Post by Peke »

Still no logs that Jiri received. I managed to borrow Different USB dac from a friend and I didn't had any issues :(
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

Peke,
I forwarded you the mail I had sent to Jiri with a logfil.
thx
Peke

Post by Peke »

No files received.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jiri

Post by jiri »

I actually received 1 or 2 logs, but they weren't enough to help me solve the mystery. I hope that we could solve it by closer cooperation with one of the users having this problem. I wonder, does anyone of you know Delphi? The WASAPI plug-in is written in Delphi and so directly trying to modify some things in its source might help to locate the issue.

Jiri
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

Sorry I don't know Delphi. Any other Ibasso D4 Mamba USB DAC owners out there experiencing the same issue ?

Let me know how I can help you troubleshoot and will be glad to try a few things from my end.
thx
Otello

Post by Otello »

dypsis wrote:I have finally gotten around to testing MediaMonkey 4, and I cannot get the WASAPI output plug-in to work.
I just get a buzzing/static sound when I try to use it. DirectSound works fine.

By the way, WASAPI is working fine for me with XMPlay.

Any ideas?
Lowlander wrote:
Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=54690&hilit=WASAPI

OK; the problem with Wasapi is discussed in another thread (this one), with the last messager in January...
On my side, I reported days ago that Wasapi is not working in exclusive mode and I got no feedback.

I'm wondering if MM developers realize that Wasapi working in exclusive mode is a key feature for a music player: you may have the best graphics, database engine, bell & whistles, etc., BUT without bit perfect output and automatic change of sampling frequency according to the file, the program is completely useless for an audiophile user.

Please understand I love MM and I bought a Gold licence for MM3...
FYI, I'm a senior editor for Audioreview (the most important italian hi-fi magazine), in the past I strongly suggested MM3 as music player to my readers, but I cannot suggest a player without Wasapi working in exclusive mode.
By the way, I still use MM3, but just because I have a professional RME audio card working with ASIO Driver, but very few people have an ASIO audio card; the rest of the world absolutely need Wasapi.

Best regards
Marco Benedetti