Workaround for Zen MX Playlist Sync Issues

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

Re: Workaround for Zen MX Playlist Sync Issues

Post by chrisjj »

moatmai wrote:Playlists, however, need to conform to the 8.3 filename limitation of the DOS stone age. ...
Playlists for the Zen MX must use these short names, otherwise the Zen MX will not find the tracks referenced in the playlist.
Are you sure? Or it it sufficient to e.g. just avoid spaces?
Chris
moatmai

Post by moatmai »

chrisjj wrote:
moatmai wrote:Playlists, however, need to conform to the 8.3 filename limitation of the DOS stone age. ...
Playlists for the Zen MX must use these short names, otherwise the Zen MX will not find the tracks referenced in the playlist.
I am sure. For two days, I tried out all possible variations; I even contacted Creative Technology support. Their response was "just use Centrale instead," which is their media management software — and guess what Centrale does: it uses 8.3 file names.

When it comes to playlist management, the Zen MX is a real lemon. So the only solution — aside from using the MM script — is either not to use playlists or to create the playlists on the device and then edit their names from the computer.

(Open a playlist created by the Zen MX or Centrale in notepad and you will find that it uses 8.3 filenames. With "~1.mp3" and everything... It's a real shame.)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

moatmai wrote:
chrisjj wrote:
I am sure. For two days, I tried out all possible variations; I even contacted Creative Technology support. Their response was "just use Centrale instead," which is their media management software — and guess what Centrale does: it uses 8.3 file names.

When it comes to playlist management, the Zen MX is a real lemon. So the only solution — aside from using the MM script — is either not to use playlists or to create the playlists on the device and then edit their names from the computer.

(Open a playlist created by the Zen MX or Centrale in notepad and you will find that it uses 8.3 filenames. With "~1.mp3" and everything... It's a real shame.)
You might want to try the MM4 beta. I believe in the sync options for playlists you can set to use old style 8.3 filenames.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes there is an option for 8.3 DOS-style filenames in MM4.
moatmai

Post by moatmai »

That is good news indeed.

Hopefully the Zen sync issues reported in another thread are fixed as well. I'm currently waiting until the beta builds are no longer marked as "for developers" before jumping in.

As or the 8.3 issue - I got rid of my Zen MX and I am using an older Zen (the MTP one, with 32 GByte).
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

moatmai wrote:I am sure.
OK, thanks.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

moatmai, Here's an idea that might overcome the collision issue your current Monster Mask workaround. Use <Autonumber> - it is offered by the dialog box, but I don't know that it works.
Chris
PawWriter

Post by PawWriter »

Lowlander wrote:Yes there is an option for 8.3 DOS-style filenames in MM4.
Hi there,

Could you direct me to where the option is? I'm using the current (1399) beta of MM4 and I'm stumped as to where it is.

Thanks!
hgrail

Post by hgrail »

I haven't been able to find it either in the latest version. Any help is appreciated!
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

Is this 8.3 DOS-Style option only available for Zen-Devices? Can I 'activate' it for other devices too?
(I can't find it for the default devices in my MM4-Version 4.0.6.1501 at all...)
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
Peke

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MMuser2011 wrote:
Is this 8.3 DOS-Style option only available for Zen-Devices? Can I 'activate' it for other devices too?
(I can't find it for the default devices in my MM4-Version 4.0.6.1501 at all...)
The feature was later removed, because it didn't work right.

It has still never been implemented.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.