Convert Audio Format fails on some tracks

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

WilliFixit

Convert Audio Format fails on some tracks

Post by WilliFixit »

I have a machine with 8 cores, and it seems that MM uses all possible cores to multithread the conversion of files. Here's what is happening on my Windows 7 -64 machine:

1. Select an album already in MM with say 15 tracks all in APE lossless format.
2. Select all files and choose Tools > Convert Audio Format (I convert to MP3 Extreme preset)
3. MM starts converting, and in Task Manager I can see 8 instances of Decoder.exe working to decode the files.
4. In Windows Explorer I can see the first 8 tracks, without the MP3 extension are created.

At this point several things can happen:
--MM crashes (Message says MediaMonkay - Audio Library has stopped working)
--It looks as if MM finishes, but if you try to play the converted tracks about 20% won't play at all
--It always seems that one or two of the Decoder.exe files remains in Task Manager running (I must kill them in TM to resolve the issue otherwise it seems that it keeps certain desitnation MP3 or MP3.xxxxx files locked)
--Occasionally everything works OK, and MM converts all the files properly.

To fix the bad tracks I have to manually delete the MP3 tracks in their folder using Windows Explorer. In the folder are MP3 files, MP3.XXXXXX files and others. I can always tell in Explorer when the files are bad, as they do not have their track number or the album title showing in the window. See http://emeraldeagle.com/Bad_Convert.png for more detail.

Sometimes I cannot delete the files unless I close MM altogether and kill all the Decoder.exe files in Task Manager.

Then I try again until I get all the tracks converted.

This is a real pain since I have several things to convert at once. What is worse is that I know I have bad tracks since I used this process to convert files when I upgraded my entire collection to loseless, and then converting all the APE files to MP3 for iPods, etc.

What is going wrong, and how do I fix it????

Machine specifics: Windows 7-64 with all updates, Dell Precision T7500, 16GB RAM, internal RAID 10 2TB drives, dual Quad Core Xenon 2.4GHz procs, audio files on external 750 Seagate USB drive, DVD +-RW, Blu Ray RW.

Thanks,
cooperg21

Re: Convert Audio Format fails on some tracks

Post by cooperg21 »

I have a very similar issue. Hopefully someone can put this into a bug report or something and help us out. I too have a quad core and MM just says that it cannot convert some files and they end up being there but with not tag info and won't open.

Everything workeed out just fine until I got my quad core... I stress tested it for 24hr with no errors and I always get ".....was not successfully created" as an error whenever I try to convert a bunch of songs. It works fine for a few, then just gives up and I have to hold enter and scroll through all of the confirmation boxes saying that it didn't convert correctly...
WilliFixit

Post by WilliFixit »

It is definitely an issue and confirmed it with their team and lots of testing. Seems that there is some issue with the multi-threading and using multiple CPUs, but not multiple cores. My machine has eight cores, but when I limited which cores MM used (in Options > Performance) so that only four (of my eight) cores, and only those on one CPU the conversions seem flawless, and consistent.

I know that they are trying to figure a fix, but don't know the current status. Since this has been affecting so few of us, it wasn't high on their priority list. The last I heard from them was 12FEB, when they asked me to do some more tests. Unfortunately I was on the road, away from my main machine, and I did not really have the time to do more testing so they closed the case. I only hope that they still will make sure that this works on some future revision... I want to use ALL THE POWER of my machine!

Hope that helps!
Will Adams
cooperg21

Post by cooperg21 »

Is there a way to turn off hyperthreading or something? (I have a q9550.)

Pretty much the only reason that I bought the new processor is so that I can reconvert my entire library without it taking a month...

So yes, I agree, MORE POWER! :)

If I go down to one processor, I am okay, but that totally defeats the purpose of a new processor...
cooperg21

Post by cooperg21 »

Sorry for the double post but I was wondering if there was any word from the devs regarding this issue. Using all of my cores is a huge reason to upgrade to gold and it almost feels like a bait and switch when it is broken like it is... If I try to batch convert 7000 songs and it screws up on song 200 (which it usually does) I have to click ok about SEVEN THOUSAND TIMES..... I usually just force close but this erases any changes to my library.....

I love mediamonkey, I really do, but this is pretty unacceptable. Quad cores are fast becoming the future of computing and while I am glad to see that they are utilizing the technology, I am saddened to see that it is so broken.

Any assistance or acknowledgment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cooper
Kov-Ice

Post by Kov-Ice »

Any further information on this error? I still have this happen, although it is an occasional error rather than every time I convert. I'm running MM Gold 3.2.4.1304.

Thx,
Kov
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I can't reproduce any problem. I convert several thousand files for my iPhone and iPod, but I never had a problem. You may need to obtain a debug log and send to the devs to collect some more info about what is actually going wrong.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Kov-Ice

Post by Kov-Ice »

How do I obtain a debug log?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

wazzer150864

Post by wazzer150864 »

Did this issue have a resolution please? I have an on-going issue with MM stopping responding when I am converting MP3 files to 320. Sometimes it is no issue at all and I can do more than 100 tracks at a time, other times it stops after a few tracks. I then have to open task manager and close MM fully. Even then I can not restart the conversion process unless I full reboot the PC.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey?
wazzer150864

Post by wazzer150864 »

Hi, I have 4.1.17.1840 version currently

Paul
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In that case you could try the latest beta from the Beta forum or also capture a debug log (step 4b) and attach it to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
strifeseh

Post by strifeseh »

I know this is an old post but thank you WilliFixit! I've been fighting with sync issues for several weeks now with my Galaxy S9+ and a 512mb Samsung Select sd card syncing from a computer with a Core i7 Sandy Bride 2600k cpu.......I'd reformatted and sd card twice already and while the initial sync both times didn't trigger errors, later sync attempts via Wifi and USB were acting odd....started out with an auto playlist always seeming to update, despite no new files that met it's criteria being edited, eventually turned into not being able to sync at all without some kind of error, usually it was MMA just giving a sync incomplete message via Wifi randomly. I'd already deleted the app and mediamonkey folders on the phone and sdcard multiple times and let it rebuild (after a few formats, I was getting beyond annoyed, so I tried that route) and it didn't help. I tried a few syncs via Wifi and USB before I did some rewording on Google searches and found your post....once I dropped it to 4 cores as you suggested I tried a wifi sync, and it actually finished successfully and didn't prompt me to delete the auto playlist it was seemingly hung up on before, nor did it randomly stop with a "sync incomplete" message as it was before. Can't deny the scanning and comparison phases went a bit slower, but at least they actually freaking finished successfully.