A few MM4 suggestions

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

DieHardDan
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm

A few MM4 suggestions

Post by DieHardDan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:38 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, sorry if it isn't, but I had a few minor suggestions for MM4 :D

1. Ability to sync/manage Photo's.
2. Ability to sync playlist folders to apple/any devices. (I have over 100 playlists and they're much easier to find on the device in organized folders.)
3. Ability to select more than one playlist using the CTRL/Shift buttons. (Faster to delete old playlists and group playlists in folders, rather than doing it one by one)
4. Ability to reorder the tabs by "drag and drop".

5. My last suggestion is in regards to the column browser, I'll do my best to explain :)
Currently, If I were to select "Rock" in the first column it will minimize the options in the following columns, But if I were to then skip ahead to the third column and choose the album "Abbey Road" for example, It will minimize the options in the following column, but not the untouched column before it, can that be changed? Or is that done purposely for reasons I'm not grasping?

Also, Keep up the excellent work, this is by far the best music management player I've ever used and Iv'e used them all :wink:

getready11

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by getready11 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:53 am

please integrate a .cue reader for single-file-album mp3 flac files etc. :)

btw, excellent job with 4beta guys

Lowlander
Posts: 45909
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

You might want to check out the CUE Reader addon: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... cue+reader
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Mizery_Made
Posts: 2283
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Mizery_Made » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 am

DieHardDan wrote:1. Ability to sync/manage Photo's.
This has been requested over the years, less-so than Video support however. I believe that (some of) the developers have expressed an interest and/or plans to expand MM to Photos in the future. However that will likely be post 4.0, if it occurs as Video seems to be the main focus right now.
DieHardDan wrote:2. Ability to sync playlist folders to apple/any devices. (I have over 100 playlists and they're much easier to find on the device in organized folders.)
This too has been requested over the years. Pretty sure there's already an entry about this in the bug tracker, however I'm not sure of when it may have saw some activity last.
DieHardDan wrote:3. Ability to select more than one playlist using the CTRL/Shift buttons. (Faster to delete old playlists and group playlists in folders, rather than doing it one by one)
I guess I can see how this might be useful when it comes to move/deleting playlists but... the program just really isn't designed for this. The tree functions pretty much the same way as Windows Explorers tree does, and it doesn't allow for multi-selection either, if I'm not mistaken.
DieHardDan wrote:4. Ability to reorder the tabs by "drag and drop".
This seems like a no-brainer to me, and should already be present (unless it already is, I haven't messed with any builds past 1363 due to lack of time and what have you).
DieHardDan wrote:5. My last suggestion is in regards to the column browser, I'll do my best to explain :)
Currently, If I were to select "Rock" in the first column it will minimize the options in the following columns, But if I were to then skip ahead to the third column and choose the album "Abbey Road" for example, It will minimize the options in the following column, but not the untouched column before it, can that be changed? Or is that done purposely for reasons I'm not grasping?
I'm not positive I have a good grasp on what you're talking about but... it seems you're saying that selecting something in Column 3 in the browser doesn't filter the items in Column 2 (or 1), right? That's because it's designed to filter from left to right. If it were to work both ways, I think it would lead to some confusion and unwanted results (and I think it ended up working like this at some point during the 4.x development period and was complained about for the aforementioned reasons?)

Lowlander
Posts: 45909
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:30 am

1) Yes, Photo's is still on the radar as it's also useful for DLNA, although as Mizery_Made said it won't make it into 4.0.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

Guest

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:06 pm

Lowlander wrote:You might want to check out the CUE Reader addon: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... cue+reader
it doesn't work with new beta version :(
maybe some1 smart could do some update? :>

DieHardDan
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by DieHardDan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:49 pm

Mizery_Made wrote:
DieHardDan wrote:1. Ability to sync/manage Photo's.
This has been requested over the years, less-so than Video support however. I believe that (some of) the developers have expressed an interest and/or plans to expand MM to Photos in the future. However that will likely be post 4.0, if it occurs as Video seems to be the main focus right now.
DieHardDan wrote:2. Ability to sync playlist folders to apple/any devices. (I have over 100 playlists and they're much easier to find on the device in organized folders.)
This too has been requested over the years. Pretty sure there's already an entry about this in the bug tracker, however I'm not sure of when it may have saw some activity last.
DieHardDan wrote:3. Ability to select more than one playlist using the CTRL/Shift buttons. (Faster to delete old playlists and group playlists in folders, rather than doing it one by one)
I guess I can see how this might be useful when it comes to move/deleting playlists but... the program just really isn't designed for this. The tree functions pretty much the same way as Windows Explorers tree does, and it doesn't allow for multi-selection either, if I'm not mistaken.
DieHardDan wrote:4. Ability to reorder the tabs by "drag and drop".
This seems like a no-brainer to me, and should already be present (unless it already is, I haven't messed with any builds past 1363 due to lack of time and what have you).
DieHardDan wrote:5. My last suggestion is in regards to the column browser, I'll do my best to explain :)
Currently, If I were to select "Rock" in the first column it will minimize the options in the following columns, But if I were to then skip ahead to the third column and choose the album "Abbey Road" for example, It will minimize the options in the following column, but not the untouched column before it, can that be changed? Or is that done purposely for reasons I'm not grasping?
I'm not positive I have a good grasp on what you're talking about but... it seems you're saying that selecting something in Column 3 in the browser doesn't filter the items in Column 2 (or 1), right? That's because it's designed to filter from left to right. If it were to work both ways, I think it would lead to some confusion and unwanted results (and I think it ended up working like this at some point during the 4.x development period and was complained about for the aforementioned reasons?)
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, I have my columns in the following order:
1.genre, 2.tracks, 3.Artists 4. rating
If I filtered it to rock with a 5 star rating, I would have to move the rating column to the 2nd slot in order to see which artists and tracks were five star rock. To me, It just makes logical sense to filter it both ways for the columns that "all" is selected. And it would improve the usefulness of the column browser.
And for it being confusing to some, Maybe make it an option, to filter left to right, or both ways.

Lowlander
Posts: 45909
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:11 pm

For me the current implementation makes more sense.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

vpsaxman
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by vpsaxman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:16 pm

MM and pictures? I don't think thats's a good idea unless the UI is rebuilt from scratch. Windows Live Photo Gallery and Picasa work great. They're fast, have a comprehensive UI and great editing / tagging tools. The only way it would make sense for MM to implement pics is if it works at least as well or better than a dedicated program which I don't really see happening.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB

Lowlander
Posts: 45909
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Not true, the basic need would be the ability to sync to portable device and stream over DLNA. That would take the need away for a separate application to sync and one to stream over DLNA. I would be more than fine if it's left at that. There are plenty of photo editors out there that do the job. (Tagging could be considered as MM already is a tagger of audio and video).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

DieHardDan
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by DieHardDan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Lowlander wrote:Not true, the basic need would be the ability to sync to portable device and stream over DLNA. That would take the need away for a separate application to sync and one to stream over DLNA. I would be more than fine if it's left at that. There are plenty of photo editors out there that do the job. (Tagging could be considered as MM already is a tagger of audio and video).
Yes, Syncing to portable devices is the reason I desire to have this capability, even if it's just a basic "sync this folder to this device".

vpsaxman
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by vpsaxman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 pm

Lowlander wrote:Not true, the basic need would be the ability to sync to portable device and stream over DLNA. That would take the need away for a separate application to sync and one to stream over DLNA. I would be more than fine if it's left at that. There are plenty of photo editors out there that do the job. (Tagging could be considered as MM already is a tagger of audio and video).
Let me clarify my point then : considering how slow MM loads thumbnail images, how do you think it will do with hundreds of pics? There's no ability to resize thumbnails, it will need a change in UI. The list goes on. Even if you use MM for syncing and tagging (no editing), the current performance level and layout seems like it wouldn't fare well with pics. I may be wrong.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB

nohitter151
Posts: 23640
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:20 am
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by nohitter151 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:37 pm

In regards to the original post, 1, 2, and 4 are already tracked in the Mantis bug tracker system.

3 is a nice idea and I would like that implemented as well, but 5 I don't quite understand.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander
Posts: 45909
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 5:53 pm
Location: MediaMonkey 5

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by Lowlander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:47 pm

I would never even look at the pics in MediaMonkey. I'd just want it to be made available over DLNA.

Also performance improvements in thumbnails is an ongoing discussion it seems, with MM4 improving on this.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

vpsaxman
Posts: 288
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:39 pm

Re: A few MM4 suggestions

Post by vpsaxman » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Lowlander wrote:I would never even look at the pics in MediaMonkey. I'd just want it to be made available over DLNA.

Also performance improvements in thumbnails is an ongoing discussion it seems, with MM4 improving on this.
Cool, thanks.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB

Post Reply