Several Issues

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

djo_34

Several Issues

Post by djo_34 »

I'm running 3.2.5.1306 on Windows 2008 R2 x64 (which is Windows 7 essentially). I purchased MediaMonkey because I wanted a taskbar player and Microsoft completely dropped the ball when removing the Windows Media Player toolbar feature. Yeah, I know you can register the .dll on Windows 7, but it doesn't work correctly.

Anyway, I'm happy with MediaMonkey. I don't use even a fraction of the features. I just want to play music from my library with a taskbar or microplayer (in MM).

I've come across several issues my first few weeks which are driving me crazy.

1) You can't LAUNCH MM in microplayer mode. You can create a shortcut and have it open minimized, but MM doesn't check if it is minimized on start, so it doesn't go into MicroPlayer mode.

2) There is Pop-up Display settings in Options -> Player. When this is UNCHECKED, the MicroPlayer still shows popup information on playing tracks. Which I like, don't get me wrong... I want the popup info. When unchecked, the window displays directly over the microplayer. When CHECKED, you need to manually adjust the popup window location, which sucks because the location of the microplayer changes depending on how many tray icons are being displayed. So I leave it unchecked. HOWEVER, once you click the "+" icon on the MicroPlayer to "Restore" the window (although the popup balloon states 'Mazimize' which it does NOT do, it simply restores) and then minimize back to the microplayer, the popup window and mouseover balloons no longer work. This is highly annoying. Basically, I cannot make changes to the playlist. If I do and then minimize to the microplayer... no popup information... I have to restart MM to get the popup window.

3) The popup display window is HUGE. It has tons of space to even display lyrics. And yet there is no ARTIST information, just artwork, album name, and track name. I like being able to rate the song, that is a nice touch. But there is no ARTIST name. There is more dead space than utilized space. I find this odd.

4) The "+" icon is not a good choice in the microplayer to restore the window. A square or square with an up arrow would have been a wiser choice. It isn't a big deal when the mouseover tooltips work. But the plus is used in the standard toolbar to turn on/off the playlist. And "+" can be to increase volume. There are already standard icons for restore and maximize.

Anyway, that's it. All I want is a toolbar microplayer that works consistently. I hope these issues get resolved because there are no good players with toolbar microplayers. Just MM.
Lowlander

Re: Several Issues

Post by Lowlander »

Running MM 4 on XP:
1) If you close in micro mode it opens in micro mode
2) Popup only shows when mousing over microplayer, otherwise it respects the setting
3) Seems to be skin issue, Vitreous shows a small popup, with Artist
4) Again a skin issue, Vitreous shows a maximize icon
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The majority of issues you've raised are skin related. Try some other skins.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
djo_34

Post by djo_34 »

1) Thanks Lowlander, that does work. Didn't even see the EXIT in the context menu.
Icons are skin specific but weren't a big deal.
But mousing over the microplayer and at track change displays the popup info window UNTIL you restore the main window and minimize again.
Once you open the main window and minimize to microplayer, popup window never appears again.
I checked the popup display checkbox in the options, when tracks change the popup window appears (but not over the player)... but mousing over does not work.
This is not a skin issue. This is something in the taskbar/toolbar code. Every skin does it.
I'm not sure what settings it respects, because the mouseover does NOT display the popup regardless of the checkbox in the settings being selected. It only does it until you show the main window and then minimize to the microplayer, then all mouseover and popups stop working.
Why isn't there an option for "show popup window directly over (or next to) microplayer (regardless of location)" in the options. I don't want to manually adjust the location.
And Vitreous, nor any other skin, displays ARTIST in the info window, just album and track names.
Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it. Looks like I'm looking for a new player or writing my own.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That's not my experience. Testing on MM4 track changes don't trigger popup and mouseover does when info pop-up is disabled. Popup disappears automatically after a few seconds and shows Artist.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

djo_34 wrote:1) Thanks Lowlander, that does work. Didn't even see the EXIT in the context menu.
Icons are skin specific but weren't a big deal.
But mousing over the microplayer and at track change displays the popup info window UNTIL you restore the main window and minimize again.
Once you open the main window and minimize to microplayer, popup window never appears again.
I checked the popup display checkbox in the options, when tracks change the popup window appears (but not over the player)... but mousing over does not work.
This is not a skin issue. This is something in the taskbar/toolbar code. Every skin does it.
I'm not sure what settings it respects, because the mouseover does NOT display the popup regardless of the checkbox in the settings being selected. It only does it until you show the main window and then minimize to the microplayer, then all mouseover and popups stop working.
Why isn't there an option for "show popup window directly over (or next to) microplayer (regardless of location)" in the options. I don't want to manually adjust the location.
That is a different popup. (unrelated to the microplayer)
djo_34 wrote:And Vitreous, nor any other skin, displays ARTIST in the info window, just album and track names.
Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it. Looks like I'm looking for a new player or writing my own.
That's because for some odd reason the developers never added support for showing the artist in this popup. (probably an oversight). It was fixed for the 4.0 beta.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
djo_34

Post by djo_34 »

I noticed this after I posted the question.

That's a lot of versions to go through without catching something so obvious!

I'll wait for version 4 release. Thanks!