MM Android Player

This forum is for questions / discussions regarding development of addons / tweaks for MediaMonkey for Windows 4.

Moderators: Gurus, Addon Administrators

nohitter151

Re: MM Android Player

Post by nohitter151 »

Finsternis wrote:
So while I'm sure Julian is a great guy and a good programmer and so on,m it's no disrespect to him to point out that an app written by the original developers will be faster to arrive and more compatible. I mean, hey - MM can do whatever it wants. I'm just a customer suggesting a feature that I'd pay extra for.
You're more than entitled to that opinion. But in that case it is not relevant to post in this topic. Make a new thread in the wishlist forum, or add to the one of many posts about Android already there. Posting here is not contributing anything positive to this project.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jadjam

Post by jadjam »

Make a new thread in the wishlist forum, or add to the one of many posts about Android already there
I'm sure he would but then what difference does it make where he rants if what he's ranting about isn't going to be taken on-board wherever its posted? There are all these threads about an Android app that have no definite and official comment on development on an Android app so seems like starting yet another one or asking the question again wouldn't achieve much...

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=53238
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... id#p293449
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... it=android
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... it=android
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... id#p295673
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=53270
Probably more...

No, it's not entirely positive for Julianhorvat, whom we've all shown our appreciation to but I think Finsternis was remarking upon is how as great as a third party android app is, it probably won't achieve the kind of close-knit ecosystem integration that Apple users enjoy. And no, its not Ventis Media's responsibility to fill that gap but MediaMonkey is in the perfect situation to take advantage. So many MM users seem to be amazed that there isn't plans to create an Android app and looking through the forum there are only the occasional (understandably) frustrated remarks by yourself and other devs/admins which really shed no light on the situation. Maybe a more clear response would alleviate all this frustration. Surely you must see a trend toward users wanting managed and full synchronised media on any device they have, either MM is looking to be part of that or stay with the surely dwindling target market of people who JUST manage large collections of music on the PCs. I personally have started using MM recently and the one thing keeping me from purchasing a lifetime gold license is whether an Android app is on the cards, otherwise I, and many others would probably appreciate a heads up so we could continue searching for an alternative.

Again, Julian. We all appreciate your development and I for one will happily pay for the app when it's released. Best of luck with it. :D
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jadjam wrote:
Make a new thread in the wishlist forum, or add to the one of many posts about Android already there
I'm sure he would but then what difference does it make where he rants if what he's ranting about isn't going to be taken on-board wherever its posted?
If it doesn't make a difference where he posts, then why here? I would say that any other thread would be better than this one.

There are all these threads about an Android app that have no definite and official comment on development on an Android app
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... id#p293449
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

I'm interested in streaming from my NAS to the app - preferably with the options to stream the native formats or the on-the-fly settings saved in the MM.db on the PC/NAS. :D
I'd like those same options if choosing to sync (locally or remotely) rather than stream. So it would detect the on-the-fly settings of the MM.db from the PC/NAS and sync accordingly.

Please make sure that the app isn't just set for default settings. I have my MM.db stored on my NAS, which I access from multiple PCs on my LAN.

Also (not sure if this is a restriction of Android OS), it would be great if MM app could be made default audio player on phone.
Melloware

Post by Melloware »

Finsternis wrote:So while I'm sure Julian is a great guy and a good programmer and so on,m it's no disrespect to him to point out that an app written by the original developers will be faster to arrive and more compatible. I mean, hey - MM can do whatever it wants. I'm just a customer suggesting a feature that I'd pay extra for.
I disagree with that. One amateur developer can sometimes make something as high a quality as the original developer could. I think my MonkeyTunes plugin is an example of that...

http://melloware.com/products/monkeytunes/

So much so that the MM team contacted me themselves and expressed their level of satisfaction. So don't count Julian out!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Melloware Inc.
MonkeyTunes - DACP Server for MediaMonkey
Intelliremote - Take Back Control of your HTPC!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Firetribe

Post by Firetribe »

Hey, marvellous idea...I'm willing to give you all the support I'm able to provide, for example for localization (I'm German). Wishing you all the best for your project...tell us if there's a version available for testing :)
Unter der Maske eines Clowns siehst du die Spuren seiner Tränen...
jonusc

Post by jonusc »

This, only just today, got a front-page spot on xda-developers. It better not be dead... I would buy it for $10. At LEAST. Do you accept advance donations? Even from just-in-goodwill-fanboys-who-are-patient-and-want-to-send-you-money? :D
AncientWisdom

Post by AncientWisdom »

Oh sweet thanks for the heads up, I'll start following the thread on XDA
ACraigL

Post by ACraigL »

gege

Post by gege »

Unfortunately, looks like development for this app is halted... :(
I've followed various links to forum threads and they all show the same: no activity from developer for a long time. That's so sad...
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Who is the developer? Must be on the forum! Could be PMd.

Post by Guest »

Such a shame this seems to be dead, I've been waiting for ages for either an official android player that can sync playcounts, etc back to my pc or somebody else to write one. I'm seriously considering moving to another music management programme, which would be such a shame as i've been a loyal user of media monkey for years and would hate to have to move on, but this is becomming such a massive issue for me now.

Post by Guest »

I'm of the same oppinion as Guest. There must be a way to keep up the great media monkey and have a possibility to get connected with android phones.
It's a shame, because I think, Media Monkey is the best tool to organize music.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

I contacted MM directly (via the wiki section) and received the following by e-mail:

An android application for MediaMonkey is only in planning stages at this time, we don't have anything concrete to offer. :roll:

At least that tells us that it's on the cards. Just a matter of time.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for the info Daztrue, might not be that concrete but a little information is a damned sight better than none at all. I've got no problem waiting as long as I know it's on the cards. I can appreciate how the devs are mostly tied up with the betas of MM4 at the present so won't hold my breath just yet lol, but I would add it would be nice of the developers to announce things once in a while even if it's just to say it's in the pipeline, little information is better than none at all as far as I'm concerned. One thing I would like to add to my post from the 10th Oct is I would be more than prepared to pay extra on top of my existing gold licence for the application if or when it gets released. So far i've been very impressed with the betas of 4 (apart from being a little dubious about the inclusion of video, but I can understand why it's there all the same) and can see MM4 along with an android app being a central part of increasing Mediamonkey's uptake by far more than it's existing userbase. Here's hoping I don't have to wait another 18 months for it to be released.