What I like in media players.

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Skyeam

What I like in media players.

Post by Skyeam »

Hello all,
I've been looking a long time for the 'perfect' music (and in a minor degree media) - player/manager. I've tried various programs, liking and disliking parts of every one of them. The music player I've been most attracted to has been Mediamonkey for quite a while. I really like this program, but there are still features I miss. With the upcoming release of Mediamonkey 4 I would like to provide my own 5 cents by telling the developers what I like and would like about this mediaplayer.

Feel free to disagree/agree with me about this, it's just a personal opinion. Also, probably those features won't be implemented, but who knows.. Anyway, of we go:

Things I like in mediaplayers (no specific order):
  • Old amarok way of showing your library (Currently still seen in Clementine).
  • Clementine's integration with online services (automated lyric loading, info about artist, song..) (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.7-4.png)
  • Clementine's and foobar2000's visual representation of a song playing. Mediamonkey has 1 type (bars moving up/down), those have a lot more (bar/block/boom/sonogram/turbine analyzer in Clementine). I definitely recommend installing Clementine to see the online services integration and the analyzers, they are truly amazing) (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.7-4.png)
  • Mediamonkey's ability to jump from one song to all songs of this artist in the library by clicking on his name (or genres, year, ..). Also the ability to show that song/artist/... on wikipedia etc ..
  • Mediamonkey's extensive optinos (how to organize library, what to do on click, how to play, when to stop playing, fade in/out, how to save songs, how to import them ...)
  • Tabbed playlists/views
  • Mediamonkey's excellent tagging support
  • Ability to skin/change layout. Mediamonkey is decent in this, but a bit lacking (how to reorganize toolbars for example, you can't even "lock" the layout when you are done. Also, moving the playlist, album art, ... won't always move like expected. On the other end you have foobar2000 which overdoes it. I want to listen to music, not spend 2 weeks familiarizing myself with all the source code in order to create an acceptable layout.
  • Ability to have more options for your visualization. (Clementine) They also use milk drop, but you can choose which milk is played etc.. It's really nice, check it out. (http://images.clementine-player.org/scr ... -0.4-3.png)
  • KMPlayer ability to manipulate playback (equalizer, quick/slow, reverb, echo, remove human speak ... ) (http://www.kmplayer.com/forums/gallery/ ... ilters.png, http://gnrsu.com/gnrsu.com/screenshot/KMPlayer_4.jpg)
Anyway, that was quite a lot for just my 5 cents, I might need to rewrite this because it lacks a bit of structure at the moment. (I just took my notes that made while testing players.)

I hope you enjoyed reading it, leave your comments about what you like in this/other mediaplayers and pardon me for my english.
mccstumble

Re: What I like in media players/Some Clementine for the Mon

Post by mccstumble »

@skyeam

Thanks for taing the time to write up your notes

I must admit when I first read your post (without having ever looked at Clementine) I thought you were another attacking Mediamonkey and looking for some glamourpuss type media player. Like you, I have tried various media players over the years. In my case, previously just for music and now since Ver 4 for video too, my favourite by miles and miles is Mediamonkey. I don't really care too much about skins and the likes but I love the versatility of mediamonkey and it's superb functionality.

Now that I have downloaded and installed Clementine ( http://www.clementine-player.org/) I can say it's a great little player and I really wish MM would add the most of the features from Clemetine that aren't, in some form or other, already in Mediamonkey. For example features such as "Internet" (like Last FM etc), The Song Info and the Artist Info and the Lyrics etc etc

I will be sticking with Medaimonkey but perhaps in future release(s) we will be lucky enough to have some of the Clementine Features included

In short Skyeam, thanks for your 5cents worth and i'm sure I will be using Clementine when I am at the PC to listen to Last FM with the option to nip in and out of my own library.

Cheers
Music & Video Management: Mediamonkey Ver 4.0.0.1436Gold Lifetime
Music Server: Logitech Media Server (LMS) 7.7.0-33512
AddOns: MonkeySqueeze Ver 2.0 http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=59515
On Demand Music: LastFM, Spotify via LMS
Lowlander

Re: What I like in media players.

Post by Lowlander »

Actually MediaMonkey has many of those features, but instead has chosen a path of doing all this through addons instead of building it in. This means you only install what you need and often a quicker release cycle on addons that the main program can't offer due to beta testing needs.
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

@Lowlander

Thanks for your swift response. It makes sense that to take this addons-path instead of trying to build everything in.

I hadn't realised MM had the features I metioned as add-ons. I am specifically interested in the features I metioned earlier "Internet" (like Last FM etc), The Song Info and the Artist Info and the Lyrics.

Before I submitted my previous post I checked the Addons page and didn't see any under the categories sections (except for minilyrics which I have installed previously)

Hope I'm not being a pain, but would you be kind enough to let me know where to locate the addons or scripts to allow "Internet" (like Last FM, Soma FM, Icecast etc), The Song Info and the Artist Info and the Lyrics

Much appreciated
AddOns: MonkeySqueeze Ver 2.0 http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=59515
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Check the Addons forum instead. There is a last.fm scrobbler plugin, Lyrics Panel to view Lyrics, Lyricator and MiniLyrics to find lyrics, MonkeyRok with all kinds of information, taggers like MusicIP, MusicBrainz, Yahoo, Discogs, Google, etc.

And what doesn't exist can be created in an addon as long as the website has an API to connect to and a license that allows to do so.
Skyeam

Re: What I like in media players/Some Clementine for the Mon

Post by Skyeam »

@mccstumble

Don't get me wrong, I prefer mediamonkey over all other players. But like you experienced yourself, there are some amazing features to be found in other players (not only clementine), that I'd love to see implemented in mediamonkey. (and the other way around, if other players had more of the functionality found in mediamonkey, I would maybe consider switching)

@Lowlander

I found out about those addons a long time ago, I really like this functionality, but it is lacking (in my opinion).

For example:
  • The addons section of the website used to be disappointing. Only recently it got revamped, but there are still only a few addons listed.
  • The forum has plenty, but it's quite hard to find some addon you would like. Also, some addons are outdated and still have no alternatives, or they are buggy (lastfm-autodj wouldn't work, autorateaccurate causes crashes and performance issues..). If you compare this to how addons are managed in firefox (but they have a much larger user base and lots of developers, so I can't blame you guys for this ;) ), you certainly feel that there is lacking a rating and classification system for addons.
  • But most important, I really miss the polished, smooth experience you get from (for example) clementine where some features are integrated. Addons in mediamonkey never gave me the same polished experience.
Anyway, I really like the way mediamonkey is going with 4, but it's not yet perfect and I hope one day it will :)
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

@Skyean - I hope never to have to switch form Mediamonkey. It's almost like a family member...

@Lowlander - Thanks again - I should have thought of looking there first. I hope it's not as difficult as Skyean suggests.

I already have the LastFM node installed and to be honest its a bit confusing as to what it does. I also have the LastFM autodj which is handy.

Although I have these LastFM addons I am really hoping there is a MM addon that lays things out in the lastfm format like Clementine does (ie a node with LastFM and then nested with "My Recommedations", "My Radio Station", My Mix Radio", "My Neighbourhood", "Artist Radio", "Tag Radio", "Custom Radio", "Friends" and lastly "Neighbours"- it's so intuitive and what LastFM users are familiar with whether its via Web, iPhone App, Squeezeserver etc.

I will go searching shortly

Thanks again
Gingernut63

Post by Gingernut63 »

Well people I have to say that some years ago I was looking for a music player/organiser after the original MusicMatch was purchased by Yahoo. Happily after an exhaustive search I came across MediaMonkey and have never looked back. I'm very happy with the product and yes it can be improved but it is heading in the right direction, after all nothing is perfect.

I like the idea that you can have the bog standard setup at the beginning and add plugins as required. I don't what too much stuff I have no use for. I like the fact I can add what I want and I agree it would be easier to upgrade plugins than the whole package. However I agree with Skyeam. Finding add ons/plugins is a bit of a chore. My wish list would see an improvement in this area, a little more organisation perhaps. The documentation with some plugins could also be improved but then again that is a common problem with multiple products across the internet.

All in all a great product. Keep striving to improve because that is one way to remain relevant in these fast changing times.
MonkeySqueeze – Squeezing music into your life!
https://twitter.com/#!/MonkeySqueeze1
MonkeySqueeze Support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=59515
MonkeySqueeze Development: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 19&t=59907
MediaMonkey user since 2005
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

@Gingernut63 I couldnt have put it better myself.

I just spent a while searching for a lastfm addon that is node based as described in my previous post. Perhaps it is buried somewhere deep in the addons forum but I don't even know if it exists and I have a sinking feeling that it doesn't exist yet.

@Lowlander Would you know if a LastFM addon exists as I have described? If not I will create a new post on the wishlist.

Keep up the good work
mccstumble

LastFM Integration Like Clementine and Songbird

Post by mccstumble »

Hi All

I stumbled across Clementine and Songbird recently following Skyean's post of yesterday ("What I like in media players"). Despite my initial scepticism when reading the post I was blown away by the LastFm integration in both of them and especially in Clementine as it is so intuitive.

I have been using MM for so long that I haven't looked at other players in a few years. I am very pleased with MMs functionality and flexibility coupled with the fact I had escaped WMP and iTunes. However, now that I have seen what Clementine and Songbird do with LastFM, I am extremely keen to have such functionality in MM without having to search for and cobble together bits and pieces from all over the MM Forum pages in the hope I finally get something that resembles what I have experienced in Clementine.

I have checked MM Addons and also the Developers Addon Forum without success. I already have Monkeyrok installed and it is quite handy for biographies etc but it doesn't have proper LastFM support (it seems only to have Biographies etc). It is a great Addon except that it seems almost like a separate program rather than an integrated element of MM (by that I mean I am looking for something that works from the nodes)

I already have my existing MM LastFM node Addon and last FM AutoDJ script which are ok but nothing like what I am looking for these days given how things have moved on since I first got them. To be honest I rarely use them these days

Not sure how many MM users enjoy LastFM for discovering music but for me it is an integral part of my setup and I am sure there must be plenty of others who would wish for proper LastFm integration within MM. Personally I use LastFM on my iPhone, Squeezeserver, iPeng and the Web and it seems a pity that my favourite media player (Mediamonkey in case you haven’t guessed already) doesn't have this available (assuming I have looked but just not found it).

I think it would be awesome if there was an Addon or script that achieved the same LastFM integration for MM. That is, for the main LastFM node to be then nested with "My Recommendations", "My Radio Station", My Mix Radio", "My Neighbourhood", "Artist Radio", "Tag Radio", "Custom Radio", "Friends" and lastly "Neighbours" just as we would experience on LastFM itself or as seen on Clementine. Of course it should also be supplemented with a Node for "Artist Info" which would have nested nodes for Biography from LastFm, Biography for Wikipedia, Images, Artist Tags, Similar Artists, etc in the same way as Clementine does. There should also be the "Like" and Dislike buttons

If you would like to see a LastFM integration as described please add your comments / suggestions etc and hopefully some clever Addon developer may take it up as a project and keep MM ahead of the pack.
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

I dont know who moved my previous post, "LastFM Integration Like Clementine and Songbird" or why it was moved into this post,"What I like in media players"?

I had created as a seperate post item because it only focuses on the LastFM element of Skyean's post and I thought it should be treated seperately and as a single wishlist item.

Could it be moved back please or have I inadvertently broken a posting rule?

Thanks
jamburglar

Re: LastFM Integration Like Clementine and Songbird

Post by jamburglar »

mccstumble wrote: I think it would be awesome if there was an Addon or script that achieved the same LastFM integration for MM. That is, for the main LastFM node to be then nested with "My Recommendations", "My Radio Station", My Mix Radio", "My Neighbourhood", "Artist Radio", "Tag Radio", "Custom Radio", "Friends" and lastly "Neighbours" just as we would experience on LastFM itself or as seen on Clementine. Of course it should also be supplemented with a Node for "Artist Info" which would have nested nodes for Biography from LastFm, Biography for Wikipedia, Images, Artist Tags, Similar Artists, etc in the same way as Clementine does. There should also be the "Like" and Dislike buttons.
In Clementine, you need to be a paid Last.FM subscriber to stream Last.FM radio. (You can scrobble tracks for free, as in MM.) It would be cool there was a script to do this in MediaMonkey but to be honest I don't think I would dish out the money for radio streaming when I can do it for free through Last.FM.

That being said, I am big into music discovery and would love to be able to integrate that love with MediaMonkey somehow..
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

I decided to pay for LastFM as I use it so much. I also bought MM Gold Lifetime and no regrets with either.

Now just hoping MM gets the ability to play LastFM
ma_t14

Post by ma_t14 »

You may also try MusicBee. I find it's last.fm integration excellent as well and not only that...
mccstumble

Post by mccstumble »

@ ma_t14

Thanks, I will have a look. I don't want to switch from MM, especially since it seems to be moving towards a total media management application (Audio, Video, Podcasts, iPhone sync and hopefully photo's too someday) but it's good to see what others are doing with LastFM and other internet radio stuff.

The few couple of programs I have looked at seem pretty basic compared to MM and for that reason I am hoping the LastFM features might be an easy enough project for the addon or script developers to come up with something as good in that area.

I am impressed with my first browse of Musicbee -- like clementite and songbird it appears to have to Web element of things nicely organised. I will give it a try over the next day or so.

Hope some developers might have a look at a proper LastFm / inetrnet radion playing addon