Similar Artists 2.2 - Updated 26/10/2013

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

trixmoto

Re: Similar Artists 1.7 - Updated 27/02/2011

Post by trixmoto »

New version (1.7) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Added option to exclude tracks containing a value
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Dav0s

Post by Dav0s »

Hi,

Sounds like a great extension, but having some issues getting it to work, very possibly because im using MM4?

Here is the error I get (after the confirmation box pops up)

Are there any plans to make this work in MM4? The lack of a way to create playlists based on similar artists is about the only thing keeping me away from MM at the moment. I'd be very grateful for any help getting this working (and would be willing to do a bit of testing if necessary)
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Looks like the devs have changed the number of parameters for the RANDOM function, which is a bit of a cardinal sin really - I'll add this to my list.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Dav0s

Post by Dav0s »

Great thanks, I'm using it on MM3 at the moment and working well. Can I request a couple of features you might consider adding?

Firstly, (the easy one) would be an option to add the seed track to the playlist (even better to add it as the first song).

Secondly, requires a bit more work, would be to query last.fm for the top tracks of an artist (eg http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/1.0/artist ... tracks.xml), and add the option to prioritise these if they are in the library. Since my library does not have ratings, I keep ending up with b-sides and album tracks when I would prefer some of the more known songs by an artist.

You could use the query to find the top X tracks from an artist, choose a random one from that list (or add an option to loop through from top to bottom?), and attempt a match within the library. If none are found, default to any song by the artist. There are a few issues of course....it would slow the script down if too many track queries are made, and it relies on decent tag information to match a track name (unless you can do an sql search that would find similar names? im not sure if this is possible...)

Let me know what you think, I get the feeling this script doesn't have the exposure it deserves! Took me ages to find something like this that works!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Thanks, I'm glad you like the script. I've added your suggestions to my list and I'll see what I can do in the next version.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

trixmoto wrote:in the next version.
I'm am getting the same error message as the post above - any chance we'll see a fix so that it works in MM4, please.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Well it's on my list.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

There's no rush - I am sure there are many things that are far more important :)
MediaMonkey user since 2006
NCJoni54

Post by NCJoni54 »

Hi haven't searched through all of the forums, but was wondering if Similar Artists has been updated (since 1.7) to work with MM 4.0? Thanks, Joni
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

As far as I'm aware it should work with MM4 - are you having any problems?
NCJoni54

Post by NCJoni54 »

I am. I got an error message. But if no one else is having a problem, then it might be in my settings. If I send the error message could you maybe help me understand what I might need to change?
user123321

Post by user123321 »

Dav0s wrote:Hi,

Sounds like a great extension, but having some issues getting it to work, very possibly because im using MM4?

Here is the error I get (after the confirmation box pops up)

Are there any plans to make this work in MM4? The lack of a way to create playlists based on similar artists is about the only thing keeping me away from MM at the moment. I'd be very grateful for any help getting this working (and would be willing to do a bit of testing if necessary)
To those having problems in MM4, simply edit the file in:

Code: Select all

Scripts\Auto\SimilarArtists.vbs
search for and replace all four occurrences of:

Random(Songs.Id)
with

Random()
Those will be in quoted SQL statements ("SELECT stuff FROM table WHERE .. ORDER BY Random()")
NCJoni54

Post by NCJoni54 »

DING DING DING! We have a winner... and I didn't even think I knew how to code! Thank you!! Joni
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Dav0s wrote:Firstly, (the easy one) would be an option to add the seed track to the playlist (even better to add it as the first song).
Would you expect this to only work if there is a single track, or if multiple tracks are selected, would you expect them all to be added to the beginning? If there are multiple then it's hard to tell which track belongs to which playlist, as the seeding is really done by artist, not by track.
trixmoto

Re: Similar Artists 2.0 - Updated 23/07/2012

Post by trixmoto »

New version (2.0) is now available to download from my website. Changes include...

- Fixed 'Wrong number of arguments to function Random' errors
- Fixed webservice to use version 2.0
- Added option to include seed track (if only one)
- Added option to rank tracks by Last.Fm ranking
- Fixed multiple buttons appear after installing
- Fixed same track can appear twice in playlist