MediaMonkey 4

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

iSE

Re: MediaMonkey 4

Post by iSE »

Anyone know if theres any plans to allow natively use musicbrainz in 4? As in without a script, someway to change where it finds the tags from?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I doubt that, especially as a script already does this.
vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman »

Lowlander wrote:I doubt that, especially as a script already does this.
What we need is a script depository, with tutorials, direct links to mmip files etc. Make it user friendly.
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB
zuilserip

Post by zuilserip »

Hello - I was wondering if there is any source of information on what will be new on MM4.

I am perfectly happy with waiting for the new version for as long as it takes for the developers to be comfortable that the version is mature and ready for release.

I imagine that the current version is already 'feature complete', however, and would love to see a summary of the things that have been added/changed in the coming version.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Each build in the Beta forum has a changelog. Video, DLNA and Portable Installer are the 3 big additions in MM4.
ZuilSerip

Post by ZuilSerip »

Thank you for the response Lowlander - that is very helpful.

DLNA as in 'Digital Living Network Alliance'? Does that mean the ability to stream music from a central PC to other machines and portable device? That would be a very nice addition indeed.

Is there a more 'newbie friendly' way of learning about what is new than going through the changelogs? There are quite a few changelogs, and a lot of it seems to be about fixing regressions, etc. Just wondering whether someone might have written a post/FAQ/doc with a summary of what has changed.

Cheers.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

ZuilSerip wrote:Thank you for the response Lowlander - that is very helpful.

DLNA as in 'Digital Living Network Alliance'? Does that mean the ability to stream music from a central PC to other machines and portable device? That would be a very nice addition indeed.

Is there a more 'newbie friendly' way of learning about what is new than going through the changelogs? There are quite a few changelogs, and a lot of it seems to be about fixing regressions, etc. Just wondering whether someone might have written a post/FAQ/doc with a summary of what has changed.

Cheers.
Any official summary of new additions will probably not come until the final release. That being said, there was a thread started in the moderators forum where someone asked about new features. Here are some of the posts from that thread:
nohitter151 wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:Any new features I should be looking out for??
Don't know if you have any Upnp devices, but the media sharing is supremely awesome. I can listen to MM music from a PS3 or Xbox now. The new art browser is pretty cool. I like the new sync features and the device config by clicking on the device node - it's much more intuitive than before. There's also the new secure ripping mode for CDs, which I'm eager to try but haven't had a new CD in awhile to test on. Ability to use 2-4 columns in the column browser is an easy one to miss, but a nice touch.

Also, check out Options > Playback rules, you can customize what info is displayed in the player for each collection type. (using the summary format mask).

And not to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty happy with how Vitreous turned out. The aero player is something I've looked forward to for awhile. :D
nohitter151 wrote:
chrisjj wrote: E.g. does it offer portable install?
Yes, another new feature I neglected to mention.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you can stream from and to MediaMonkey using DLNA.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

I have read the posts but cannot deduce from the discussions what form the video features will take in MM4. I am absolutely happy with MM3, it has exceeded all my expectations especially given the help and guidance from this forum which in my view has no equal in the field of forums.

I have a reasonably sized video music collection (all on dvd and paid for) and I am at the point where I would like to add these to my library, at the very least the audio component. This will entail buying software to "rip" the audio, downsize to CD format and convert to Flac. Before I buy software I am wondering whether it is intended that MM4 would be able to do this. Will it allow me to add my DVD's to my library as I can do with my CD's ? If the answer is yes I am happy to wait patiently till the release comes and yes, I am willing to pay for it.

I am a gold member and consider MM the best value for money I know of in software.
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Pietercape wrote:I have read the posts but cannot deduce from the discussions what form the video features will take in MM4. I am absolutely happy with MM3, it has exceeded all my expectations especially given the help and guidance from this forum which in my view has no equal in the field of forums.

I have a reasonably sized video music collection (all on dvd and paid for) and I am at the point where I would like to add these to my library, at the very least the audio component. This will entail buying software to "rip" the audio, downsize to CD format and convert to Flac. Before I buy software I am wondering whether it is intended that MM4 would be able to do this. Will it allow me to add my DVD's to my library as I can do with my CD's ? If the answer is yes I am happy to wait patiently till the release comes and yes, I am willing to pay for it.

I am a gold member and consider MM the best value for money I know of in software.
Video is handled essentially the same as audio. However, you cannot rip DVDs. I guess it's a matter of copyright issues and DRM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Sandra89

Post by Sandra89 »

As for me i don't see any bloat in the program at all only the use of cpu cycle bloat in some of the new features but rusty said its not
an optimized test version and they should have that fixed by the RC or stable version, but bloat in monkey i have never seen it as far i can remember?
rbrad68

Post by rbrad68 »

I'm not sure when the exact date when version 4 will make its appearance but I can truly say, not only me, but there are hundreds that are anxiously waiting for it! Still haven't read in any of the post when any alphas will be ready for testing either. Someone please post if you can answer this question. Thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Beta forum always has latest news on new versions. MediaMonkey 4 is available as beta: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=54426
Tombking

Post by Tombking »

Would it be possible to give the new MM 4 some sort of parametric Equalizer? That would be very nice, since I've seen some thing like that in "Foobar" at a friends computer.
r0k

Post by r0k »

It's way too late to add new features as they are now really close to RC.
That being said, MM3 already supports WinAMP plugins. I would be surprised if there were no parametric EQ available somewhere.