Crash (RC2) when accessing menu [#8242]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

drjohn

Crash (RC2) when accessing menu [#8242]

Post by drjohn »

Any time I click on any of the Menu items (File, etc) the program crashes... I had the same issue when trying to change auto-playlists imported from MM3 earlier. After installing the debug version, that cleared up. Right now, it is basically not usable... I have an error-log, but am not sure how to attach it...
Lowlander

Re: Crash (RC2) when accessing menu

Post by Lowlander »

drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Thanks! Should have read all the way to the bottom... :)

File posted to the help desk.

JL
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi DrJohn,

Are you sure you're using RC2? The logfile you sent was generated with a much earlier beta build.

Thanks.

-Rusty
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Hi Rusty,

Yes, i was using thenRC2 build. I did not check the date of the log and it was old. MM did generatenamlog during any of RC2 crashes. I completely uninstallesd MM4 and put the lataest build on and, so far, it seems to be OK.

Thanks!
Random123

Re: [notrep] Crash (RC2) when accessing menu

Post by Random123 »

I am having the same problem with RC3 (Build 4.0.0.1455).

Running on a HP 2740p, Win7 x64 Pro SP1, 8 GB RAM with an outboard monitor. So far as I can tell my install is vanilla; I have done various permutations including completely removing MM3, running as Admin, running debug and production versions of the code, and avoiding skins and plug-ins. The same thing always happens: MM4 builds my library and plays music fine. But as soon as I click on a menu item it crashes very ungracefully. No log file seems to be created so I cannot send that. BTW, MM3 works perfectly on this system.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Random123 wrote:I am having the same problem with RC3 (Build 4.0.0.1455).

Running on a HP 2740p, Win7 x64 Pro SP1, 8 GB RAM with an outboard monitor. So far as I can tell my install is vanilla; I have done various permutations including completely removing MM3, running as Admin, running debug and production versions of the code, and avoiding skins and plug-ins. The same thing always happens: MM4 builds my library and plays music fine. But as soon as I click on a menu item it crashes very ungracefully. No log file seems to be created so I cannot send that. BTW, MM3 works perfectly on this system.
If a log file is not automatically generated then generate one manually by running the debug view program. All the instructions are posted in the thread "Reporting bugs...".

Thanks.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Thanks, but since I completely un- and reinstalled (now several newer versions) MM4, the problem is cleared up. It was likely just a bad install.
Random123

Post by Random123 »

Thanks both for your comments. Luckily, I installed the latest version (RC5) and the problem has gone away.
Brilliant software - thanks for doing a good job!
Random123

Post by Random123 »

Hmm, seems I spoke too quickly. I have now realised that MM4 crashes but only when Dragon NaturallySpeaking is running. I have version 11.5 SP1.
This is exactly the same behaviour reported in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=58918
Unfortunately no debug file is created either with the normal or debug version of the .exe installed.
Some sort of low-level conflict between NaturallySpeaking and MM4 apparently. Strangely it only arises if you try to interact with MM4 through the menu??
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Random123 wrote:Hmm, seems I spoke too quickly. I have now realised that MM4 crashes but only when Dragon NaturallySpeaking is running. I have version 11.5 SP1.
This is exactly the same behaviour reported in this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=58918
Unfortunately no debug file is created either with the normal or debug version of the .exe installed.
Some sort of low-level conflict between NaturallySpeaking and MM4 apparently. Strangely it only arises if you try to interact with MM4 through the menu??
This has been reported before:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8242

It looks like it isn't planned to be fixed for version 4.0.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Just for the record, though: I do not have NaturallySpeaking on my computer... Like I said, it SEEMS to be resolved now, but I will keep an eye out for a repeat of the problem.
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

Well, actually, the problem came back. I am not sure why. I am working with tech support on it. I CAN say that found a work-around to completely resolve the issue (at least so far). Run the program "as an administrator." We can't figure out WHY this should be necessary, but so far it has worked.
Peke

Re: Crash (RC2) when accessing menu [#8242]

Post by Peke »

For now I added link to MM bug to see if we can make permanent solution/workaround.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts