MediaMonkey 4 Skins

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Dreadlau

Re: MediaMonkey 4 Skins

Post by Dreadlau »

monkey hi fi wrote:
NRGman wrote:Any chance of anyone updating the Glided skin? as the 2 that are mm4 are to bright for me...
only morten can adjust it.

8)
Why is that?
Anyway I certainly wont miss that ugly skin.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Morten is the author of the Glided skin.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

well i would not say it was ugly. that i believe is up to the users point of view.
to me it was just kind of boring nothing to look at. and some items did not work on my computer like
the vertical taskbar player, he said when i asked about that, he did not include a mskn for it cause he didn't
think it needed one and they could use the default one. which of course did not work proper all the time and
was white. so to me it was always an unfinished skin.

but ugly ? no not really just lacking eye candy. and looks more like sock monkey colors.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

I was thinking that anyone can edit glided.
Once Morten said:
Yeah, but Glided is free for editing since it's released with MediaMonkey. Isn't that the normal thing to do?
rovingcowboy wrote:well i would not say it was ugly. that i believe is up to the users point of view.
to me it was just kind of boring nothing to look at. and some items did not work on my computer like
the vertical taskbar player, he said when i asked about that, he did not include a mskn for it cause he didn't
think it needed one and they could use the default one. which of course did not work proper all the time and
was white. so to me it was always an unfinished skin.

but ugly ? no not really just lacking eye candy. and looks more like sock monkey colors.

:D
Yeah it was clearly an unfinished skin.

Not only the vertical microplayer but also the scrollbars were missing.
And there wasn't even custom icons. ( Using the old icon set )

I really feel like it wasn't worth for default skin.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dreadlau wrote: And there wasn't even custom icons. ( Using the old icon set )
Well in fairness, when MM3 was first released we could not put custom icons in a skin, that feature did not come until later. I think at the time, that it was a great choice for default skin. There really was nothing else (there were much fewer skin choices for MM3 than there are now for MM4). And it was a well-designed, original look. Certainly now it has been eclipsed by some of the great things we've seen from DreadM and Eyal (by far the most talented skinners IMO) but again, at the time, it was a brand new look for MM that took it in the right direction.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Dreadlau wrote:I was thinking that anyone can edit glided.
Once Morten said:
Yeah, but Glided is free for editing since it's released with MediaMonkey. Isn't that the normal thing to do?
Yeah it was clearly an unfinished skin.

Not only the vertical microplayer but also the scrollbars were missing.
And there wasn't even custom icons. ( Using the old icon set )

I really feel like it wasn't worth for default skin.

yes morten did say that but he meant for it to be used for making your own skins with.
i don't believe he gave up ownership of it.

the normal he was thinking about was that fact. that every one would use basicly the skin for changing images to make their own with.

i do agree it was not worth a default skin but its what rusty and jiri wanted to use so it was one. sad thing is that since it was not finished lots of others that used it to make their skins ended up with an unfinished one and one that did use different coding to do certain things. which i still have trouble understanding what he did with his coding?

i've even tried his skin in mm 4 and it gives me the same errors as the mm 4 skins being made. so i checked with the other mm 3 skins i know were made using his default one as a templete and they also gave the same errors as the default mm 4 skins when used in mm 4. so i know there is something missing in them.
the mm 3 skins that were made using the royal blue skin as a templete don't have the errors as the mm 4 skins,
but they do have errors caused by a window frame being used on the float player but not seen on the float player it just messes up the float player.

so mm 4 skins are having some troubles.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

nohitter151 wrote:
Dreadlau wrote: And there wasn't even custom icons. ( Using the old icon set )
Well in fairness, when MM3 was first released we could not put custom icons in a skin, that feature did not come until later. I think at the time, that it was a great choice for default skin. There really was nothing else (there were much fewer skin choices for MM3 than there are now for MM4). And it was a well-designed, original look. Certainly now it has been eclipsed by some of the great things we've seen from DreadM and Eyal (by far the most talented skinners IMO) but again, at the time, it was a brand new look for MM that took it in the right direction.
Well it was a big step re. skinning functionality
But even at that time I already disliked that skin. Mainly the over-sized player and the bad looking buttons.
I don't think it was a wise choice for default skin.
Your Vitreous skin is IMO way more adapted for a default skin as it's closer to the windows OS style.

One thing is sure: Mediamonkey looks and skins have improved since all these years!

And I agree re. DreadM and Eyal. I'm a big fan! :D
I remember when DreadM came the first time on the forum with his Eclipse skin!
That was a very nice design with a lot of little creative details.
Like the mouse-over controls in the player or the reflection effects on the time counter.

And many other cool skins have followed...

A big thanks to them and all the others who have brought all these skins to the community!!
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

Anyone knows who is the author of Blue Glass skin, so I can contact him?
Thanks!
Wim - 67 - Dutchman in Yogyakarta/Indonesia
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
DreadM

Post by DreadM »

If remember right , creator of Blue Glass was Cleferstarfish.com
Peke

Post by Peke »

@WimYogya
You can go thru us. what is your wish?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
WimYogya

Post by WimYogya »

Oh, thanks!
I am new user of MM, started 2 weeks ago with MM3 and used the BlueGlass skin, which I like a lot: stylish and elegant
I also use it in my upgrade to MM-4-beta now.
I just have 4 wishes/requests:
- make the quicksearch box wider (or stretchable): often too short when entering multiple keywords
- make the greyed out menu icons in the top lines better visible - often it is just an almost black spot
- make the borders between toolbars better visible - it's difficult to find the handle to move them

A more fundamental request might not even be possible within a skin context: the customizable toolbars have customizable names. Can they be made visible?
Permanently, as chapter names under their icons (same as how Microsoft Office 2010 menus are divided in chapters).
Or as tooltips.

Thanks for helping!
Ciao4Now
Wim/Indonesia
Wim - 67 - Dutchman in Yogyakarta/Indonesia
Acer Aspire 6935 - Intel Core 2 Duo P8400, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB Ram DDR3, 320 GB hard disk, 1 CD/DVD-writer, 3 external drives (3Tb + 1Tb + 1Tb) - Windows 7 Ultimate - MM4.0.6.1498 debug and updating if necessary
eskenig

Post by eskenig »

Is it possible to have a media monkey skin without the windows Aero theme. I loved that media monkey 3 didn't have it. I like that media monkey 4 sounds better but it's internal looks don't match the aero theme and it ends up looking hacked together.I would absolutely love a skin that didn't have the aero theme around it.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

eskenig wrote:Is it possible to have a media monkey skin without the windows Aero theme. I loved that media monkey 3 didn't have it. I like that media monkey 4 sounds better but it's internal looks don't match the aero theme and it ends up looking hacked together.I would absolutely love a skin that didn't have the aero theme around it.
Yes, it's configurable by the skin. It's a pretty easy change to make by yourself.

-Find the skin file that you want to disable aero for.
-Change the file's extension from .msz to .zip.
-Unzip the file into a folder the same name as the skin.
-Open the folder and open the file "Settings.ini" with notepad.
-Add the lines:

[System]
ForceDisableAero=1

to the end of the file. Save the changes.

-Zip the skin folder back up, and change the extension back to .msz
-Restart MM or start MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
mrmonkey

Post by mrmonkey »

tried the settings they don't work for me

"[System]
ForceDisableAero=1"[/i]

followed EXACT instructions. The skin i chose was the melon for mm4 as it has a system.ini file with ForceDisableAero already in but not set to 1.

i had updated to 4.0.2 and im not too happy TBH. I was using the MM3 Vision skin and now it looks crap with windows aero, in fact ALL skins look crap unless i run in windows basic which in itself looks very crap.

what other player choices are out there btw? I was so close to paying for this. Its the first time i have ever consider paying for music software due to the functionality MM offers.

Surely there must be a way of allowing for the program to select / force this option ?
mrmonkey

Post by mrmonkey »

hmm..

i managed to get it working :-? literally loaded MM about 6 times, changed around back and forth to basic and aero and the melon skin is now framed properly :D

i shall try some other skins. sadly vision doesn't have a system.ini file? could i just make one and zip up the folder?