Add/Rescan Library

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

steviegt

Add/Rescan Library

Post by steviegt »

v4.0.149.

1. When I run Add/Rescan Library, the message after it completes states 656 files not added because it did not meet the criteria. What criteria is it referring to? All my tracks are tagged the same way.

2.When a scan is completed, it somehow finds a folder path that does not exist anywhere on mu HD or removeable storage devices. It's finding /pictures/music - mp3 singles. I never put anything associated with music in the pictires folder. In that folder contains some, not all mp3 tracks and a ton of album art. I have my album art stored in the tags, not in a folder. What's up with that?
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
Lowlander

Re: Add/Rescan Library

Post by Lowlander »

1) I think it's about file types not selected to be scanned

2) Do you have a playlist pointing to that folder?
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

1. I had all file types selected. I changed it to mp3 & flac only. Scan still shows msg 656 files not added because it did not meet the criteria. I also deleted the criteria for auto organize that I created. Now there is no criteria set. Scanned with same result. I have closed & reopened MM after each change.

2. I do not have any playlists.
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi.

I am running MM4 Gold

I had the same problem and by searching and comparing files I found that MM is not counting .gif and .jpg files.

In my case the library consists of 9151 files and on scanning 919 files are not added which I am at this stage assuming to be the image files as it seems likely.

Perhaps someone else with the same problem can confirm my suspicion?
Lifetime Gold - User for 18 years
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi,

Just as an update. I ran a search on my database and found 890 files that are either .gif .jpg or .pdf files. Of the 919 non-added files that leaves 29 other file types that were not added to the library.

Hope this helps.
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

Hi,
Let me clarify, MM4 does not count the .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .pdf, or .dat files but all the album art is present in MM and shows when the file is played.
Library 23k tracks
FelixU

Post by FelixU »

I have this same problem of some music files not added because they "did not meet the criteria". All my files are .mp3 and work fine with MM3. I have identified 3 entire albums (44 files) of one artist that MM4 will not load because of some criteria issue, but a fourth album of that same artist loaded fine. I see nothing that makes the unloaded files different from any others. There are also more unloaded files that I have not yet identified.

Any ideas not previously mentioned? Might this be a bug?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

@FelixU, did you verify in the Entire Library collection that the files are actually not in your Library?
squarepeg

Post by squarepeg »

I just upgraded to MM4 Gold. I added some flac files to a directory and did an add/rescan. It didn't pick them up. I verified that the flac files are actually in the directory indicated, and that under "file types", I have "flac" selected. I tried, just for grins, added a .m4a file to one of the directories with all of the flac files in them. It did pick that one up. Why is it ignoring my flac files when I'm telling it to include them? It didn't do this when I had MM3 installed.

----------------
Update... it is adding them to the library, because I can use the search and find them... it just doesn't display them in the Location tree. I'm looking back to other directories that currently exist and were displayed in the Location tree in MM3, and now the the inclusion is spotty (i.e., many directories missing from the display, but some still there, including ones with solely flac files).

-----------------
Further update... okay, the problem is it split my music into a "music" collection and a "classical music" collection according to some criteria that I'm not aware of... that's screwy! But looks like the files are all there. I don't want them split in this way, so I'll have to figure how to join the collections...
Last edited by squarepeg on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

squarepeg wrote:Why is it ignoring my flac files when I'm telling it to include them?
Lowlander wrote:did you verify in the Entire Library collection that the files are actually not in your Library?
FelixU

Post by FelixU »

By golly, I solved it! After reading squarepeg's post above, I reexamined the MM4 listings and found that classical files are indeed treated as a separate Collection with their own tree node and excluded from the Music library (or collection). My apparently missing albums were all classical. Fixing this took some trial and error.

Collection nodes can be selected, edited, created or deleted from the Options screen. On that screen, select the Media Tree from the left side. After making the desired changes, return to the main screen and select a Collection node from the Tree. R-click on it to edit the Collection. From the pop-up window, select the Criteria tab. To edit existing criteria, select it and R-click on it. For example, to include classical files in the Music Collection, R-click on Music, advance to the Criteria tab and include Classical Music to the existing list. Voila! Now I feel much better about MM4.
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

An easy way to fix "missing" tracks that show in the location node (ie added but not visible in the music collection) is to right click the track, select "Properties" and in the basic tab change the collection allocation in the "Type" box to "Music" or whatever the collection name is where you want it to show.
Library 23k tracks
Pietercape

Post by Pietercape »

There is a problem with Add/Rescan.

In a previous post in this thread I reported that I am consistenly getting 926 files not added as "files do not meet the criteria". I have eliminated 898 of these as .gif, .jpg, .pdf etc files but I am now suspecting that there may be some music files as well.

Today I added a new CD. My procedure (established for a few years now) is to place the ripped files in a temporary folder. I then scan that folder into the library, edit the tags manually and then create new folders in the music database where I permanently place the music. I then then remove the files from the library in the Location node and in Explorer copy and paste the tracks into the newly created folders and again scan them back into the library from the permanent location. This may seem laborious but it gives me absolute control over my classical collection.

When scanning the new CD today (11 new tracks) MM reported that "x#" of new tracks were not added as they do not meet the criteria. The added files are MP3 files. But they are in the library and show in the tree in all my selected fields such as composer, artist, album etc. and they play perfectly. They also show in the location node.

How can that be?

Before adding these files MM showed the library as consisting of 8180 tracks. With the additional tracks in the library is still shows the library as 8180 tracks.

When installing MM4 I by chance found that MM had not added a full set of 46 files located in a folder called "Electronic" (Synthesizer music) which had 3 sub-folders by composer.

These files showed up in the Location node and could be played from there but the folder "Electronics" would not show in the Add/Rescan tree. The folders did also not show under the Genre, Composer etc headings in the Music tree. Nothing I could do would change this. (All the music types are checked in the add/rescan dialog)

Eventually I deleted these files, re-opened new folders and subfolders with the same names, copied the tracks to the subfolders and rescanned them into the Library. This time they showed up. No changes whatsoever had been made to the files.

This makes me wonder about the other 28 missing files that I cannot identify without a massive track by track check.

Any ideas what the problem may be or how to identify those unscanned tracks?
Library 23k tracks
NHMike

Post by NHMike »

I'm having the same problem - there are a number of tracks that are not appearing anywhere in MM4 that were there in MM3 (I know they were because I loaded them onto my MP3 player through MM3). These tracks were purchased from eMusic, funny thing is that some of the tracks on the 'album' are in the library (3 of 16) and some are not. These are all CD MP3 Audio Files (.mp3) and are not in the MM4 library at all, but are in the directory in my c: drive and I can add them to the Now Playing list through windows file exploere. I have even cleared my database from MM4 and did a new re-scan limited to my music file directory. I even selected "all" music and video files, but the tracks still do not load. And, no, they are not appearing in the Classical music section.

Anyone else having this issue?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

NHMike wrote:I'm having the same problem - there are a number of tracks that are not appearing anywhere in MM4 that were there in MM3 (I know they were because I loaded them onto my MP3 player through MM3). These tracks were purchased from eMusic, funny thing is that some of the tracks on the 'album' are in the library (3 of 16) and some are not. These are all CD MP3 Audio Files (.mp3) and are not in the MM4 library at all, but are in the directory in my c: drive and I can add them to the Now Playing list through windows file exploere. I have even cleared my database from MM4 and did a new re-scan limited to my music file directory. I even selected "all" music and video files, but the tracks still do not load. And, no, they are not appearing in the Classical music section.

Anyone else having this issue?
Enable the "Entire library" node in order to verify whether tracks are missing or not.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.