Win 7 UAC everytime

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

gmvolk

Win 7 UAC everytime

Post by gmvolk »

Just installed latest version of MM 1459, and everytime I start it on win 7 the UAC prompt shows up. I uninstalled and re-installed out of the programs folder to c:\mediamonkey but that does not help. How do I get rid of the UAC prompt.

Thanks
TIV73

Re: Win 7 UAC everytime

Post by TIV73 »

I can confirm this with windows 7 ultimate. It doesn't happen all the time but (what seems) randomly, though. Changing the installation path from c:\program files to another path which is on it's own partition doesn't help. Check for updates is disabled and I'm using a gold license.
Red Maw

Post by Red Maw »

Try lowering UAC settings or disabling it all together. UAC is triggered by programs that try do certain actions so I'm guessing that something MM4 does on startup is on that list of things UAC is monitoring.
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Red Maw wrote:Try lowering UAC settings or disabling it all together. UAC is triggered by programs that try do certain actions so I'm guessing that something MM4 does on startup is on that list of things UAC is monitoring.
To use MM4, you would like users to lower their systemwide security? It is 2011 for pete sake! Who in their right mind uses their computer for everyday tasks as administrator? This is just bad software design in this day and age.
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin
gmvolk-moz

Post by gmvolk-moz »

Um, no I am not going to lower UAC for one program. Now, for some reason it only throws a UAC warning once in a while. It used to be every launch. Not sure what changed?! Until it's fixed I will not pay for MediaMonkey gold.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Might be an addon that requires elevated rights and not MediaMonkey itself.
Steven's_a_bajan

Post by Steven's_a_bajan »

I'm having this same problem with my new install of MM 4.0.0.1459 install on a new PC with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I also noticed (weird) that I can say "no" to the UAC prompt and MM will still load and run properly, it seems it retains all my settings too.

I agree there's probably some option or system call somewhere that is tripping off the UAC. MM people can we get this fixed please? Its very annoying!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Steven's_a_bajan wrote:I'm having this same problem with my new install of MM 4.0.0.1459 install on a new PC with Windows 7 Ultimate.

I also noticed (weird) that I can say "no" to the UAC prompt and MM will still load and run properly, it seems it retains all my settings too.

I agree there's probably some option or system call somewhere that is tripping off the UAC. MM people can we get this fixed please? Its very annoying!
Maybe the option to re-associate file types at startup?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Steven's_a_bajan

Post by Steven's_a_bajan »

Tried turning that feature off already, doesn't help
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Steven's_a_bajan wrote:Tried turning that feature off already, doesn't help
Any scripts, plugins, addons?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rdstevens79

Post by rdstevens79 »

Also had this problem since the upgrade, but never before with any other version. I did this and seems to be working out for me.
Tools->Options->General
Noticed my "Temp" directory was set to the path of the admin account I used to install.
Changed it to my user/temp directory and restarted MM.
The first two times on startup it prompted for UAC, I selected No.
I've since then restarted MM about 40 times and it has not prompted me once.
HTH!
sixties

Post by sixties »

I've also had this UAC niggle whenever I launch MM since upgrading to Gold 4.01.1461. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit. Has anybody discovered the cause yet?
jiri

Post by jiri »

Note that a debug log might better reveal at what stage this problem happens. Also, those with better PC skills might try to use Process Monitor application to find out lower level details about the action causing the problem.

Jiri
daryan

Post by daryan »

Worth noting that I have seen this issue several times during beta testing (no, I never raised it - sorry, my bad!) and have found that if you click yes then it crashes MM. However, if you click No then it goes away and stays away. Very strange indeed. Have seen this on vanilla installs so not related plugins, as far as I can tell....
Bikr

Post by Bikr »

BUMP

I'm in the same boat. New user of Gold 4.0.2.1462 and I get the prompt every time I run it, even after trying all the possible solutions in this thread.