Anybody else hate the new UI?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

lordphoenix

Anybody else hate the new UI?

Post by lordphoenix »

Don't get me wrong, I love MM, but am I alone in strongly disliking the new user interface? I want the old UI back! :-?
jiri

Re: Anybody else hate the new UI?

Post by jiri »

Be more specific, please. What exactly don't you like? After all, particularly with the same skins, MM3 and MM4 aren't visually that much different.

Jiri
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're not alone, but I don't understand it as MM3 and MM4 are basically the same.
lordphoenix

Post by lordphoenix »

I guess the biggest thing for me is the new skin. Is there any way to make it look exactly like the old version which I grew to love?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

What was the old skin you were using? It might be available for MediaMonkey 4 too (and most MM3 skins should work mostly with MM4.)
lordphoenix

Post by lordphoenix »

It was just the default skin. The new "Glided" skin looks similar to the old one, but is still quite different.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

lordphoenix wrote:but is still quite different.
How so?
lordphoenix

Post by lordphoenix »

You don't see a difference?

I'm not talking about the playlist, but the overall appearance of the skin. It looks significantly different.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

So what bothers you? The tabs? The Aero border? The slightly modified player?

Tabs can be disabled, the aero border can be disabled, and I hardly think the player is different enough to warrant "hate".
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
lordphoenix

Post by lordphoenix »

A few things I don't like about the new-old skin:

1. The top bar of the media player is blue, which does not blend in with the rest of the program.
2. I can't seem to get the album art over on the left like before
3. I really liked the old play bar at the bottom. The new one is very narrow and I just don't like it as much.
4. I really don't get the whole tabs thing, but maybe that's just me..
5. I think the search bar is harder to get to since it's in the very corner (and can't move over, apparently). I also find it really hard to hit the microscopic down arrow next to the search box, since it's at the every edge of the screen.

There's probably more stuff that's bugging me but that's off the top of my head. I just really liked the old skin. And you're right, it's not a terrible skin -- some people probably love the changes. I don't.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

1. Can be disabled: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ni#p318721
2. Just need to right-click > Show title bar in the art window
3. I guess you mean seek bar? There's your first (only) legitimate critique
4. Then disable them (options > appearance > uncheck always show the tab bar)
5. Search bar can be moved same as in MM3. Down arrow next to search bar is exactly the same size as in mm3
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Pman

Post by Pman »

lordphoenix wrote:A few things I don't like about the new-old skin:

1. The top bar of the media player is blue, which does not blend in with the rest of the program.
2. I can't seem to get the album art over on the left like before
3. I really liked the old play bar at the bottom. The new one is very narrow and I just don't like it as much.
4. I really don't get the whole tabs thing, but maybe that's just me..
5. I think the search bar is harder to get to since it's in the very corner (and can't move over, apparently). I also find it really hard to hit the microscopic down arrow next to the search box, since it's at the every edge of the screen.

There's probably more stuff that's bugging me but that's off the top of my head. I just really liked the old skin. And you're right, it's not a terrible skin -- some people probably love the changes. I don't.
1. Don't see it, point this out on another screenshot.
2. On the top left corner area, on the menu buttons click View->Art&Details and you'll see the Artwork.
3. Slight redesign on the player to make it ergonomically better but there's always a skinner out here who's willing to change it back for you.
4. I use tabs quite often. Easy example is when im wanting one day just for sorting my unsorted music and another tab for music that im listening to at the moment in a playlist of some kind.
5. Search bar is exactly the same and is moveable as before, my screenshot below is a 2 minute readjustment to make my MM4 look like your MM3 screenshot (all icons near enough identical in similar places to the way you had yours)....hardly any difference if you ask me:

• W7Ultimate x32 - MM4 - SHABBA!
klinsten

Post by klinsten »

you're all plain weird :)
i don't care what a media player looks like, i press the play button and then minimize it
as long as it does what it has to do, looks don't matter

but then again, opinions differ
MosleyG

Post by MosleyG »

So here I was using MediaMonkey since early Version 3 and I thouught this has to be the best player out there with some real consideration in all the ways it does things. IN particular when putting it on a new computer, the nice choices of what is to be associated and also the nice consistency in the position of all its various functions like now playing, album art. that kind of thing. Also when moving up to a new revision like 3.2x to 3.2y, it kept all the nice custmisations I had made.

Then I see a new version! Oh boy, verson 4.0 is out! So I grab it and install it.

Oh man this is bad. it took over all my file associations just like that damn quicktime did, and where the heck did all the things I was so used to in version 3 go?

I don't know if I hate version 4 but hoo boy does it suck balls or what. Thankfully the guys who make MediaMonkey left the previosu version up so I could download it and put it back on.

Anyway, not to offend anyone becuase in reading the forums I see some of you guys get really upset when people critique this software but the way I see it, some new programmers implanted their kinda controlling personalities into the version 4. I hope something liek a version 4.1 or higher gets rid of all the stuff that is so offensive to me and to many many others that I see posting in all these forums.

Hope allthe good people here are doing ok.
Mikhail 'Mosley' Godrich
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're given the option to de-associate on first run and any time after under Tools > Options > OS Integration and you can rearrange the windows any way you want just like in MediaMonkey 3. Other than using a different default skin and using Collections instead of Filters MediaMonkey 4 is pretty much the same as MediaMonkey 3 when it comes to the UI. Most things can be customized just the same way as you were able to in MediaMonkey 3.