Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.9.3 2013-12-03

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

Aff

Re: Sync back ratings & play counts (MSC) v1.1 2011-11-27

Post by Aff »

Have you enabled "Sync back play count from PlayerPro on Android (Songbird format)" in MM "Options", "Portable/Audio Devices", "SyncBackRatings"?
Maybe did you play the songs in MM as well? The script doesn't add up.
In PlayerPro please check if "Settings", "Music library", "Rating system" is set to "Music files". The script reads ratings directly from the track, not from the statistics export.

Post by Guest »

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, that option in MM is enabled. No, I did not play any songs on MM while doing this trial. Yes, in PlayerPro Rating system is set to "Music files".
So, let's sum up. Ratings is taken directly from the song, while play counts from the statistics exported, am I right?
The statistics exported are correct, but MM do not import any playcounts. And this must work even if I don't change the rating of the song.
Concerning the ratings, I could check if PlayerPro set it correctly. How can I do to verify the ratings inside the music file?

So it seems that the problems are two. Too strange, so there must be a connection between the two things. Any suggestion?
Aff

Post by Aff »

You can check the ratings in MM by looking at the Folder node (not the Music node) of the device.

If the ratings are really set, please follow the steps described in http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 88#p314520
pdbc

Post by pdbc »

PM sent!!

Thank you
pdbc

Post by pdbc »

Fixed!! Thanks to all the effort Aff did!!! Very patient and collaborative!!!

The problem was I did not activate the "All" node by option on MM.
It is sufficient to go to "Tools", "Options", "Appearance" and enable "Show 'All' node for contents of folders at Top"! That's it!!

Thanks again to Aff!!
dnlusa

Post by dnlusa »

1. Mount your device in USB mode
how do I do that? Every time I connect my SE Experia Arc, it shows as it, and no drive letter is assigned....

thanks!

dnl
Aff

Post by Aff »

There should be something like Settings, Wireless and network, USB settings, Mass storage.
wtanksleyjr

Post by wtanksleyjr »

I don't know why your Arc isn't getting a drive letter assigned; but in addition to checking the Settings category Aff recommended, let me indicate another place...

I got a LOT better results than I had previously after I used the Drive Manager to hard-code my droid to a single drive letter (I used K:), and instructing MediaMonkey to always look there. The Windows XP Drive Manager is available by right-clicking "My Computer", choosing "Manage", then going to "Storage" -> "Disk Management". Then right-click on the drive as it appears in the list of available drives at the top, and choose "Change Drive Letter and Paths". Choose "Change..." from the resulting popup, and you should get a popup that should allow you to reserve any desired drive letter. You can then configure MediaMonkey to look only at that specific drive letter, and you should get more predictable results for your sync.

-Wm
dnlusa

Post by dnlusa »

thanks all!

Done the drive letter assignment and the change to MSC. Now I will test the sync back ratins & play counts.

br
BigInJapan

Post by BigInJapan »

I'm finding that I get ratings synced back for mp3 files but not for m4a/aac files. It seems to be on the PlayerPro end. I have it set to write the ratings to the files, but it only seems to do that on mp3 files.

Do we know if that's a PlayerPro limitation? Or an Android limitation? Or a tag system limitation? Or just my limitation?

If it's the case that PlayerPro only writes ratings to mp3s, could your script use the SongBird export to grab ratings from the PlayerPro database rather than getting them from the tags?
Remember when Last.fm had those cool imagegen charts for use in signatures?
dnlusa

Post by dnlusa »

dnlusa wrote:thanks all!

Done the drive letter assignment and the change to MSC. Now I will test the sync back ratins & play counts.

br
So now I am trying to sync back but it is not working. When I connect my device, I go to the folder node (T: in my case) and I right click and select "sync back ratings" but I get the following error: "Device node for 'new device' not found".

Suggestions, please?

thanks!
wtanksleyjr

Post by wtanksleyjr »

My first guess is that you don't have a device defined for that drive. So that's the next step. I prefer using the USB Mass Storage Device driver -- the catch is that you have to manually make a copy of the DLL any time you want more than one device. So I'll assume this is the first time you've used this driver, so we won't have to dive into Windows to make that copy.

OK. Go to MM's Tools->Options->"Portable/Audio Devices", and double-click on "d_USBMass1.dll". Click on the top tab, "Device Configuration". Configure "Sync Tracks To" the same way you had it on your device before (the drop-down arrow should let you select the setting from your other device, so no need to memorize or cut'n'paste). Give your device a name different from what your old device was called. Finally, set the drive letter to T: (or whatever you told Windows to use). Don't set the drive label (it'll confuse mediamonkey under certain circumstances); you can set the USB device ID if you want, but it doesn't work well for me because my droid sometimes changes device IDs.

Then run through the other tabs of the options dialog and set it the way you want.

Click OK, unplug your device if it was plugged in, and replug it. You should now see it on the device tree, and syncing should work. You may have to sync once before you'll be able to syncback.

-Wm
wtanksleyjr

Post by wtanksleyjr »

One more comment. The reason you have to go through all of that is that the USB Mass Storage driver allows you to set the drive letter. The "normal" driver doesn't allow that; it sets the drive letter to what it wants, not what you want.
Aff

Post by Aff »

BigInJapan wrote:I'm finding that I get ratings synced back for mp3 files but not for m4a/aac files. It seems to be on the PlayerPro end. I have it set to write the ratings to the files, but it only seems to do that on mp3 files.

Do we know if that's a PlayerPro limitation? Or an Android limitation? Or a tag system limitation? Or just my limitation?

If it's the case that PlayerPro only writes ratings to mp3s, could your script use the SongBird export to grab ratings from the PlayerPro database rather than getting them from the tags?
Indeed PlayerPro doesn't seem to write tags to m4a files. There is no problem with flac or ogg though.
Please post the issue in the PlayerPro Forum. As a workaround, if you have MM Gold, you could auto-convert your m4a to mp3 during Auto-Sync.
If PlayerPro can't fix this, maybe I'll introduce an option to read the ratings from XML alternatively as you suggest.
Aff

Post by Aff »

Aff wrote:
rexrod wrote:(...) sync back skip counts (...)
Thanks for your suggestion, I will implement this in the next version.
Done, last played date as well! 8)