[4.0.3.1465/6] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

MeeMeeMee

[4.0.3.1465/6] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by MeeMeeMee »

I just intalled 4.0.3.1465, eager to try the fix for this isssue.
The Sorting situation got a lot worst imho.
1. For one, sorting by Summary no longer (compared to 4.0.2.1462) lists the tracks in order (according to Disk#/Track#).
Edit: The tracks within a group are sorted by title, which I find an odd design decision choice (bug?)
Edit2: The sort-by-title seems to be the default behavior. But after editing an album's title the grouping goes out of whack. When you hit F5 (refresh) the sort order now looks random.
Edit3: I should've added that when queuing for playback those out-of-order tracks, their play order is the same as their display order in the library, which is pretty bad.
2. Clicking on the Summary causes grouping to go completely out of whack. Tracks that "should" be grouped together end up randomly(?) split across multiple one, two or four-track groups. Only after you click F5 (refresh) the view is restored to normal.

My settings are as following (in Playback Rules):
Line One: $if(<Album>,<Album Artist>,<Artist>)
Line Two: $if(<Album>,$if(<Year>,[<Year>],[????]) <Album> $if(<Comment>,{<Comment>}),$if($viewmode=3,$if($groupcount=1,<Title>)))

I'm using the "Show Art with Details" view.
Last edited by MeeMeeMee on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 6 times in total.
MM 4.0.7.1511 on Win XP SP3
Media on D-Link DNS-323 NAS box, shared using SAMBA/CIFS
Otello

Re: [4.0.3.1465] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by Otello »

Yes, I confirm, same problem here.

P.S.: my settings for Classical Music:

$if(<Composer>, <Composer>) - <Album>
$if(<Conductor>, <Conductor>)$If(<Artist>, - <Artist>,)$If(<Publisher>, - <Publisher>,)$If(<Year>, - <Year>)
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Same here :(

This is the views I get:

Change sort to summary and track no :-?

Then MM decided it had enough too and stopped responding :x
A complete mess!!!
1465 portable (debug) in Vista as administrator
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Don't worry, I haven't been able to get 1465 to run normally in the first place.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Will be fixed in next build.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
gpzbc

Re: [4.0.3.1466] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by gpzbc »

This bug was not fixed in 1466. I just installed it and the same problem exists.
--
The gpzbc
PetrCBR

Re: [4.0.3.1466] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you send me your DB and INI file, please ? I've tried on my own and cannot reproduce.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Otello

Post by Otello »

Petr,

there is some progress for the sorting/grouping issue.

i.e.: if I configure the summary to show the Date, too, (sorting by summary) now I have albums with the same name and the same artist but different date not grouped, as requested (thanks).

But the tracks inside albums are sorted alphabetically and not by track #, even if I Cntrl+click on Track # column header. :(
Actually, it seems that Cntrl+click has no effect at all.
gpzbc

Re: [4.0.3.1465/6] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by gpzbc »

I am sending a PM with video, DB, and ini.
Thanks
--
The gpzbc
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Yup, I'm experiencing the same thing Otello is reporting:
1. Grouping works OK in the 1466 build
2. Sorting by Summary causes each group of tracks to be sorted by title. The ascending/descending sort order of the track titles is decided by locked to the Summary ascending/descending sort order.

Besides the aesthetic aspect of it, the problem is that when adding a group of tracks to the playlist, the order of playback is the same as the order they're displayed, which is not good.

When you fix this, please please please sort by Track# AND Disk#.
Additionally, please don't do that ascending/descending sort order lock thing. In my case, for example, I set up the Summary in such a way (see first post) to sort by year. That way I can sort track groups (=albums) by year, seeing an artist's latest albums at the top of the list.
If you keep this sort order lock after fixing this, I'll end up with tracks listed in reverse order. That's, probably, not very useful. Can't think of a use-case where this comes handy (but I'm open to hearing of one).
It "should" work like the sorting by Disk# works: it also sorts by Track# (ascending). Sorting by Disk# (descending) still keeps the tracks sorted by Track# (ascending).
MM 4.0.7.1511 on Win XP SP3
Media on D-Link DNS-323 NAS box, shared using SAMBA/CIFS
Otello

Post by Otello »

MeeMeeMee wrote: Additionally, please don't do that ascending/descending sort order lock thing. In my case, for example, I set up the Summary in such a way (see first post) to sort by year. That way I can sort track groups (=albums) by year, seeing an artist's latest albums at the top of the list.
If you keep this sort order lock after fixing this, I'll end up with tracks listed in reverse order. That's, probably, not very useful. Can't think of a use-case where this comes handy (but I'm open to hearing of one).
It "should" work like the sorting by Disk# works: it also sorts by Track# (ascending). Sorting by Disk# (descending) still keeps the tracks sorted by Track# (ascending).
Yes: +1 ;)

I think that - given that sorting tracks alphabeticallly is obviously a bug - the core of the issue is we need different rules for album sorting and tracks sorting inside albums.
Albums sorting by Summary shouldn't interfere with tracks (inside album) sorting.
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

Yep it is great improvement on 1465 with the exceptions as noted above which I concur with.
I do notice that if I sort on album artist the track list is sorted by track no and not on alphabetical title order so not all bad news :)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
see-beyond-me

Post by see-beyond-me »

another +1
not usable when looking at 'album interpret' with track sorting alphabetically instead of following track number ordering...reverted to build-1464, the last 'good' build where it was working fine...please correct before release

/MD
Otello

Post by Otello »

BKKKPewsey wrote: I do notice that if I sort on album artist the track list is sorted by track no and not on alphabetical title order so not all bad news :)
You're right; I didn't notice before, as I don't use the artist album column at all.
The problem is that, the way I tag Classical Music, sorting by Album Artist my library get completely screwed. ;)
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

Quick question here, I'm seeing a similar problem with grouping of albums sorted via criteria set by the user autoplaylists, particularly using the advanced sorting criteria in the paid version of MM. I detailed my issue in the thread below. Are you guys simply seeing this problem under the music/entire library node when sorting using summary? I was directed here, but I'm not so sure if it is the same problem.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =6&t=63969
MM Gold Lifetime since 2.5.5.998
Computer: Lenovo Y580 System: Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 / Arch Linux Mediamonkey 4: w/ Monkeyrok 5.6, Minilyrics 1.4b, iMonkey Skin