MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3&4] v1.25 2012-01-29

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

booblers

Re: MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3&4] v1.24 2012-01-

Post by booblers »

scratchie77 wrote:My question is can i sort the results of the search by year (earliest to most recent)
You can try v1.25 which should allow you to sort by date.

I am also changing the way dates work to support Original Date which I found exists in MB in a release-group relationship. This means that the options with respect to dates will change such that Date=Date and OriginalDate=Original Date (ie one will lose the ability to choose where to store "date" since they will have both dates).

That isn't done yet but there are better sorting options available for you for the time being (you cannot sort on multiple fields btw).
scratchie77

Re: MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3&4] v1.24 2012-01-

Post by scratchie77 »

booblers wrote:You can try v1.25 which should allow you to sort by date.
Thanks heaps i only downloaded this extension yesterday but somehow had version 1.0something

The latest version does exactly what i need

Thanks again
booblers

Re: MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3&4] v1.25 2012-01-

Post by booblers »

You actually had 1.24 or whatever - I'm just bad about updating the .ini files that shows you what version it is...
Phyltre

Post by Phyltre »

My last auto-tagging experiences were all pre-Picard and NGS, so I have a quick question--is there any solution or best practice for situations where albums are going to be incomplete (or rather sorted among multiple directories, some of which won't be in the library) by design?

(background, skip if bored)
As a listener I have never ever had a use for full albums (especially for popular artists who have managed to release the same song on 3 or more albums, leading to entire albums worth of duplicates) or artists who produce such a broad spectrum that the music doesn't all belong in one place by any other metric. I've just finished using TagScanner to write at least rudimentary artist -title tag information to all of my tracks, but I'd like to fill in release data and especially covers where possible, which brings me to now. The assuming-full-album behavior has come back to bite me before, as tracks that ended up in the same directory as those from a different album or artist have been thrown in by assumption (surely it is not a safe one!) and given my relative inexperience with some of the artists I was auto-sorting (due to my inexperience with them!), I wasn't able to detect it before quite a few songs were mislabeled. Obviously I'm trying to keep that from happening again.
booblers

Post by booblers »

Phyltre wrote:is there any solution or best practice for situations where albums are going to be incomplete (or rather sorted among multiple directories, some of which won't be in the library) by design?
That depends. Certainly you can use AcoustId independent of any albums. I suggest you look for the Generate AcoustId script that I wrote and use that to tag all of the files independently. All it does is generate the acoustid fingerprints and unique identifiers and save them to tags/database fields - it will not add any additional metadata. That will get you part-way there.

This tagger does assume that you're tagging complete albums (as mentioned in the first post). However, it is capable of tagging single files or half-albums or etc - *but* you cannot tag files from two releases at once. In other words: if you have a directory with 30 tracks in it all from different releases and you want to highlight them all at once and tag them - then this is not the script for you. What you would want for that is a properly configured copy of beets.

You can use this to tag individual files (or groups of files from the same release). So if you have that same directory of 30 files and you select 3 all of which are from the same release and use this tagger you will should acceptable results. In this context acceptable would mean that you will see releases which AcoustId recognizes as having all 3 of those files. If Acoustid doesn't recognize the 3 files (as might be the case in some situations, the database is large but not complete) - then the script will attempt to search for a release based on the metadata of the first selected song.

The best way to answer your question is for you to try it - but whatever you do the results will be screwy if you select tracks from multiple releases and attempt to tag them with this script.
bakker_be

Post by bakker_be »

For some strange reason I get an "overflow" error on the line where you divide & round the cost when run on Windows Server 2008 R2. The reason is probably a 'divide by 0", as I've put "msgbox cost" just before that line, giving me that result. On Windows 7 I don't get that error (for the same album), but it seems not to write all tags into the files ...
booblers

Post by booblers »

Can you elaborate a little more please?

Which one doesn't write tags to the files? Are you saying it doesn't seem to write them in win7? Is it just with that one album or all albums that you having problem writing tags?

I won't vouch for what this does at all in win server 2008. I don't have a way to test that I have no idea how the vbscript -> python -> vbscript will behave in that environment.

Are you using version 1.25? I fixed several bugs awhile back that could lead to overflow errors.

If you are using win7, latest version, and it works with other albums please PM me information about the album you are trying to tag and if possible pm me a link to a zipped copy etc.
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

Feature Request:
If a song has already a cover saved inside the id3 tags, it would be great to choose, if the new found cover should replace the existing one or if it should additonally be added.
Actually, it will always be added. Then the older/smaller one have to be removed manually.
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version
bakker_be

Post by bakker_be »

Problem on Windows 7 solved: it was a rights issue :-( all's well in monkey-land now :-)

Post by Guest »

bakker_be wrote:Problem on Windows 7 solved: it was a rights issue :-( all's well in monkey-land now :-)
Also overflow in script. How did you solve the rights issue in Win7?
steviegt

Re: MusicBrainz NGS + AcoustId Tagger [MM3] v1.0 2012-01-24

Post by steviegt »

booblers wrote:[Question: Is there a standalone fingerprinter like the PUID generator?
Answer: No but if people really want one it can be done quite easily based on what you see here.
What exactly was I supposed to see here?
Is the AcousticID the same as a PUID or is an AcousticID a behind the scenes number used for updating the track submissions and is of no value for officially identifing a track?
--------------
After reading as much as I can understand in the topic, should I understand that this script is designed for albums only?

If I search for 10 CC - The Things We Do For Love, MusicBrainz doesn't find the single track or any album from 1976 which is the US release date. A search done in Discogs with the same criteria brings up the song with all detailed info. Why does this happen?
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
booblers

Post by booblers »

steviegt wrote:
booblers wrote:[Question: Is there a standalone fingerprinter like the PUID generator?
Answer: No but if people really want one it can be done quite easily based on what you see here.
What I meant was that the core of what it would take to make a standalone fingerprinter was already written and available in this script so a scripter could pick through what is here and make one. I actually made a basic standalone fingerprinter so that FAQ is outdated now.
steviegt wrote:Is the AcousticID the same as a PUID or is an AcousticID a behind the scenes number used for updating the track submissions and is of no value for officially identifing a track?
PUIDs and AcoustIDs are analogous. PUIDs related to MusicIP and AcoustIDs relate to an open source system that does everything MusicIP used to do. They are both, essentially, a "behind the scenes number." A PUID is just an ID in the MusicIP database that relates to metadata that MusicIP has (had) for a track. An AcoustID is essentially the same thing but with a different database that is not owned by MusicIP. It is open source and related to Musicbrainz identifiers (also open source). You can read more at acoustid.org and at musicbrainz.org
steviegt wrote:After reading as much as I can understand in the topic, should I understand that this script is designed for albums only?
That depends. It will certainly work best with albums as I said - but it will give acceptable results for some individual tracks. I can't say how well it will work because it depends on the metadata available and some math having to do with the matcher. If you are attempting to tag a single track from a full album (ie: you have 1 track from the album and you want to tag that 1 track with the album metadata) - you *can* get good results but they are not guaranteed. I could explain why but it would be long and boring and the short reason is: because the default MM matcher blows and I wrote a custom matcher with an eye toward improving results for albums (as that is all I use). MM could easily implement several features that make it significantly easier to do both but I wouldn't hold my breath were I you.
steviegt wrote:If I search for 10 CC - The Things We Do For Love, MusicBrainz doesn't find the single track or any album from 1976 which is the US release date. A search done in Discogs with the same criteria brings up the song with all detailed info. Why does this happen?
It depends. For one thing if you are tagging single tracks and not complete albums you need to turn off "enforce track count" in the settings. Musicbrainz (as in the database) has a 1976 release for that track but if you have left enforce track count enabled it will not show it to you. This is because what looks like the original release has 2 tracks on it and you're only searching on a single track so it thinks they aren't properly matched. So uncheck both boxes (min, max) if you're trying to tag single tracks.

You can leave them unchecked for albums too but then if there are 30 releases for an album with trackcounts from, say, 10-20 depending on deluxe editions and etc, etc, the script will show you all of the available releases instead of just the ones that match the number of tracks you have. In other words: those checkboxes are to save you time.

But there are other issues as well. The script goes through several iterations when it's trying to match given tracks with musicbrainz data. You can see the list of things it tries to do from the match screen. There's a dropdown in the upper left that when clicked shows you how it's attempting to match. "Embedded tags, AcoustID + TrackCount" etc. It tries these things in the order they appear. Generally this will give desirable results with albums - not necessarily with orphan tracks. This has to do with lots of things but in this case the earliest point of failure is likely AcoustID. As far as I can tell the AcoustID database does not (yet) recognize the single (1976 release with 2 tracks) as relating to the audio fingerprint. So if AcoustID is on then it's probably showing you a list of results that does not include the 1976 release.

If you are unhappy with the results of an early match (in this case AcoustID) - then the dropdown exists for you to choose another method - to enter the search iterations at a different point. So in this case what you would want to do is try, maybe, "Title - Artist." This will perform a MB search based on just the title and artist and give you results. I see the 1976 release in that scenario.

Even when you get the 1976 release there might be problems involving the matcher. I'm not sure - but at least you should be able to see the release that way if your metadata is decent.
steviegt

Post by steviegt »

That had to be the most clear and understandable complex answer I've seen. I now understand. You took alot of time putting that together. Thank you very much.
MMW Gold Lifetime v4.1.21.11875
MM Pro Android v1.3.2.0824
Windows Home 10.0.17134.228 64-bit Build 1803
MS Edge

Next to MediaMonkey, the best program available: Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/

"Being mean to someone takes more effort than being nice to them"
bakker_be

Post by bakker_be »

Guest wrote:
bakker_be wrote:Problem on Windows 7 solved: it was a rights issue :-( all's well in monkey-land now :-)
Also overflow in script. How did you solve the rights issue in Win7?
I didn't have the overflow error on Win7. The rights issue for me was domain-related (Windows Active Directory Domain), so I guess your situation is different.
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

booblers wrote:
steviegt wrote:
booblers wrote:[Question: Is there a standalone fingerprinter like the PUID generator?Answer: No but if people really want one it can be done quite easily based on what you see here.
What I meant was that the core of what it would take to make a standalone fingerprinter was already written and available in this script so a scripter could pick through what is here and make one. I actually made a basic standalone fingerprinter so that FAQ is outdated now.
Is it possible to get this standalone fingerprinter? And/Or some instructions how to use it?
(I assume, it will a) create the fingerprint for every song and b) write this 'hash' into the track? Does it run from commandline without MM?)
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version