Disappointed with MM Version 4

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

PaulSchueler

Disappointed with MM Version 4

Post by PaulSchueler »

I have just updated to Media Monkey 4 and I am highly disappointed with the new interface! I am not seeing anything that is an apparent upgrade. The interface is much more difficult to use. I have been a huge Media Monkey fan for years. This is one of the poorest downgrades I have seen. I have more clicks to access functions I used to have nice icons for. The music player is terrible. No album art, no nothing. Very, very disappointed!

I am going to try and download the old version now.
Stigg

Re: Disappointed with MM Version 4

Post by Stigg »

I am sorry that you feel that way, Paul.

But I haven't found the issues in MM4 like you have.
I love the interface, and don't find it any more clicking to do. You know you can add buttons if you wish.

I also don't have any problems with album art.

Did you upgrade or do a clean install? I did a clean install, but I have read about people having some issues with upgrading.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most things haven't actually changed much, so it would be best if you said which specific issues you've run in. There are a few people who've run into upgrade problems and the developers are looking for more information on this to see if there is a bug underlying this.

Otherwise things like appearance can be resolved with skins and moving panels back to their MediaMonkey 3 location and some settings will be lost due to underlying changes between MediaMonkey 3 and 4.
PaulSchueler

Post by PaulSchueler »

Agreed that changing the skins (which I did and it really helped) changes the appeal of the interface. I am now seeing the features I liked about Version 3 and can now clear the play count field. Thanks for the feedback ..... Media Monkey continues to be my default music management tool.
Leroy Bad

Post by Leroy Bad »

I had the same reaction when I first ran MM4, then I realized it was just a skin. And I could use an upgraded "older" skin.
One thing I did't like is why they had the volume leveling on by default to 89db, this made some annoying staticy distortion with bassy music.
I also didn't like how they had the Auto Conversion setting on by default in Media Streaming.

Once I figured all this stuff out, then I started to enjoy it more.
Ripley

Post by Ripley »

I don't give an opinion of a prog only by its style or skin.
There are still some really good features for organizing music i won't miss anymore. My Top-Feature are the 'Collections' you can crerate. More flexible and a better integration then the old 'Filter-Feature'.

But i wish they never had implemented this video function. If i am going to watch videos i am using a serious video player or a media center. In my opinion it's a waste of time and ressources by the coders.
mcow

Post by mcow »

The only real disappointment I have with MM4 is in the UI. I prefer unskinned operation, despite the ridiculous lack of features of the unskinned player (no Album Title or Year display, no Rating field, no "Stop After Current" button, and generally ugly).

But MM4 seems to me to be slower to react to mouse clicks and to redraw panes than MM3 was. Obviously, that's subjective; I don't have the resources or inclination to measure this. I don't know what language MM is coded in; I fear it's Visual Basic. I think the UI could be a lot snappier if it was rebuilt.