ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064][#2915]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

fphredd

ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064][#2915]

Post by fphredd »

I would like to request that MM support the ARTISTSORT tag. This allows Artists to be listed alphabetically by last name; so 'Eric Clapton' is shown in the "C" listing though it still shows as 'Eric Clapton'...In my case, my listing of artists beginning with C shows:

Eric Clapton
Vasser Clements

etc...

Thanks for listening.
iamjud

Re: ARTISTSORT Tag field

Post by iamjud »

Yes this would be useful.
sgreene

Post by sgreene »

Very useful. The tag is supported by Musicbrainz.
Buck

Post by Buck »

I will add my vote for this. Right now I have to use Mp3Tag to add that field. I may as well just use EAC and then tag with Mp3Tag if I have use more than one program. But I like the Monkey so much for everything else!
Buck

Post by Buck »

Well, this didn't make it into version 3. Is there ANY potential for this to be added to Version 4? I REALLY dislike using 2 programs, especially now that MM does an Accuraterip check. I only use EAC when I have a questionable/scuffed up disk. I was using 3 programs before. Mp3Tag is what I still have to use to populate the ArtistSort and AlbumArtistSort tags.

This would be soooooooo nice. Alas, this is the wishlist thread. What did Burgess Merridith say in Grumpy Old Men? "You can wish in one hand and crap in the other, see which gets filled first." :lol:
Last edited by Buck on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Buck

Re: ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064]

Post by Buck »

Who is awesome? Lowlander is awesome. Thanks for adding this to the wishlist database/thingy... :D

Burgess Meridith was wrong!! :wink:
Beagslife

Sorting artists/bands by letter, number or character

Post by Beagslife »

Hi,

I'm new here. I've recently converted to MM, after years of storing my music on SonicStage. I have found MM very useful, if a little daunting to begin with.

My biggest gripe so far, is with the options for sorting by artist/band name. I like to store all my music with the full name ie. The Waterboys, Tom Waits, An Emotional Fish, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds etc. Using MM settings, I can sort the Waterboys under W (ignore the The). I can also use a script to change my names, to show surname first (Waits, Tom). However, I don't want to do that. I prefer to see the name Tom Waits but I would like to sort it under Waits. Similarly, I might want to sort An Emotional Fish under E.

SonicStage allowed me achieve this, simply by giving an option in the properties box for the album, to sort under a letter, number or character. So, even if I wanted to store Bruce Springsteen under B (for Boss), I could do it. I would hope that this feature could be built into MM in the near future.

Another feature of SonicStage which I miss, is the ability with Gracenote, to search and add all missing album info/artwork. It didn't always find everything but it was a help when dealing with a large db.

I hope the above is taken as constructive and I look forward to using MM for the lifetime I've signed up for!

Thanks in advance.

Beagslife
Lowlander

Re: Sorting artists/bands by letter, number or character

Post by Lowlander »

Beagslife

Sorting artists/bands by letter, number or character

Post by Beagslife »

Thanks. I did a search but couldn't find the other post.

Beagslife
Beagslife

ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064]

Post by Beagslife »

Hi,

I already posted this as a new thread. I hadn't seen this one. I just want to add my voice. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new here. I've recently converted to MM, after years of storing my music on SonicStage. I have found MM very useful, if a little daunting to begin with.

My biggest gripe so far, is with the options for sorting by artist/band name. I like to store all my music with the full name ie. The Waterboys, Tom Waits, An Emotional Fish, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds etc. Using MM settings, I can sort the Waterboys under W (ignore the The). I can also use a script to change my names, to show surname first (Waits, Tom). However, I don't want to do that. I prefer to see the name Tom Waits but I would like to sort it under Waits. Similarly, I might want to sort An Emotional Fish under E.

SonicStage allowed me achieve this, simply by giving an option in the properties box for the album, to sort under a letter, number or character. So, even if I wanted to store Bruce Springsteen under B (for Boss), I could do it. I would hope that this feature could be built into MM in the near future.

Another feature of SonicStage which I miss, is the ability with Gracenote, to search and add all missing album info/artwork. It didn't always find everything but it was a help when dealing with a large db.

I hope the above is taken as constructive and I look forward to using MM for the lifetime I've signed up for!

Thanks again.

Beagslife
InTheBath

Post by InTheBath »

Hi, thought I'd post my first post here.

I've been using MediaMonkey for a while and am loving its advanced reporting features especially.

However, I've got Artistsort tags all done and it's hard to find Bob Dylan under B not D. This is keeping me from moving more wholeheartedly to the program and also makes all the reports look wrong (to my eyes).
I also use Albumsort to get my albums in the right order (usually year related, but tweaked for compilations, anthologies etc). This is not such a deal breaker.

Do I need to vote on the wishlist, or is a message here my way of making my vote?

Love the program.

M.
psychoadept

Post by psychoadept »

Just thought I'd point out that while this would be my ideal, implementing artistsort, albumsort, tracksort, etc could solve the same problem without requiring a lot of complicated internal logic from the program or disrupting things for users who don't want that functionality.
feline1

Post by feline1 »

I'm really quite surprised to discover that MediaMonkey doesn't yet support these Sort tags! :o
Surely its elementary functonality for any kind of librarian software (for anything, not just for music and video)?
ngs428

Post by ngs428 »

Is this supported yet?