Android playlists sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

jahnathan

Android playlists sync

Post by jahnathan »

Alright, I've seen lots of posts on the topic but couldn't get a clear answer/solution...can anyone help? I'm trying to sync playlists onto an Android device (Sony Xperia Ray), unfortunately thses are exported in PLA format, which Android (WinAmp, PowerAmp, Android Player...) do not recognise. It used to work perfectly well with my previous phone on Android 2.1, but seems to struggle on Gingerbread.
Questions:
- can MM be configured to export playlists in m3u instead? If not, do you know any application that converts PLA into m3u?
- does MM4 solve this problem, or does it still export PLA?
- do you know any media player that supports PLA?

I've tried exporting m3u files to my PC and then copy them onto my phone but it still won't work.

Thanks for your help. I hope MM developers did something about that because it seems to be a number one topic on the forum but there seem to be little solutions

Cheers
nohitter151

Re: Android playlists sync

Post by nohitter151 »

Android playlist issues are fixed in the latest release, are you using 4.0.3?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jahnathan

Post by jahnathan »

I haven't updated yet as I wasn't sure it'd fix the problem. Do you know if MM4 has it fixed for all devices including Sony Ericsson and Samsung?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jahnathan wrote:I haven't updated yet as I wasn't sure it'd fix the problem. Do you know if MM4 has it fixed for all devices including Sony Ericsson and Samsung?
I don't know as I don't have an Android device. But there are several fixes specific to Android in the 4.0.3 changelog:
9066 Fixed [Synchronization] M3U playlists should be preferred over MTP
9081 Fixed [Synchronization] Android sync fails silently if Music folder is read-only
9134 Fixed [Synchronization] Deprecated controls can appear
8680 Added [Synchronization] Automatic device configuration based on profiles
9133 Fixed [Synchronization] Changing size of Remove images from tags larger than in Device Profile doesn't enable OK/Apply

9066 seems very specific to your issue.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jahnathan

Post by jahnathan »

Nice one, it works! Just upgraded yesterday, you're right, they've enabled m3u playlists, which most players recognise. Much better, all seem to work fine.
Cheers

PS: to all those out there having a nightmare synching yr playlists with MM (list of posts is endless), upgrade to MM4, PLA playlist have been addressed, replaced by m3u that most players recognise. Happy synching
janrex

Post by janrex »

jahnathan wrote:Nice one, it works! Just upgraded yesterday, you're right, they've enabled m3u playlists, which most players recognise. Much better, all seem to work fine.
Cheers

PS: to all those out there having a nightmare synching yr playlists with MM (list of posts is endless), upgrade to MM4, PLA playlist have been addressed, replaced by m3u that most players recognise. Happy synching
Anyone else have problems syncing after the first sync? ie. resync copies files again even if they exist on device.

I've got an android tablet, galaxy tab 7.7 (MTP only supported). On the second sync, mediamonkey copies ALL the files again, even if they already exist.

I've looked at the debug logs and can see that at the start of sync it will look for a PLA playlist but there is none cos it's now a M3U playlist! I've logged a ticket with helpdesk but no response.
abaez

Post by abaez »

janrex wrote:
jahnathan wrote:Nice one, it works! Just upgraded yesterday, you're right, they've enabled m3u playlists, which most players recognise. Much better, all seem to work fine.
Cheers

Anyone else have problems syncing after the first sync? ie. resync copies files again even if they exist on device.

I've got an android tablet, galaxy tab 7.7 (MTP only supported). On the second sync, mediamonkey copies ALL the files again, even if they already exist.

I've looked at the debug logs and can see that at the start of sync it will look for a PLA playlist but there is none cos it's now a M3U playlist! I've logged a ticket with helpdesk but no response.
I have this same issue. It keeps trying to sync every single song again on my playlists and not just new ones. I'm going to see if I can sync both m3u and pla lists so that when it's looking for PLA playlists it will find them.