What "Type" for standup comedy?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MarineBrat

What "Type" for standup comedy?

Post by MarineBrat »

I've got lots of standup comedy tracks. None of the 8 pre-defined "types" seem appropriate.

Any suggestions? I'd lobby for "Spoken Word" as a new type. Or "Standup Comedy" perhaps?
MarineBrat

Re: What "Type" for standup comedy?

Post by MarineBrat »

What do others use for Standup Comedy?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

i use genere's of comedy, humor, live concert (if a long show), if your asking about eq presets i use vocal for that. and adjust any if the recording is not that great.

:D
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

MusicBringer wrote:
rusty wrote: p.s. we never really considered custom Types for MM 4.0.-Rusty
Hello rusty, I think there is a clear need for custom Types.
I myself don't require Karoake nor standup comedy. However other Types such as Live music, Bootleg music, HiRes music, or whatever are a necessity.

Rusty, custom Types is a requirement, please.
Thanks,
MediaMonkey user since 2006
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

Thanks for the quote MusicBringer. I appreciate it.

I just happen to have lots of old standup comedy albums from the 60's and 70's when I was a big fan of Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, etc. And while I love those guys, I don't want their standup comedy to pop up into auto playlists. :)

I don't need for the layout to change when editing a song, such as it does for Classical music. I just want to keep this stuff out of my music branches.
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

MarineBrat wrote: I just want to keep this stuff out of my music branches.
The same can be said about other Types such as Radio interviews, LoRes Bootlegs, or Christmas Carols.
Custom Types is a requirement.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MarineBrat wrote:Thanks for the quote MusicBringer. I appreciate it.

I just happen to have lots of old standup comedy albums from the 60's and 70's when I was a big fan of Bill Cosby, Bob Newhart, etc. And while I love those guys, I don't want their standup comedy to pop up into auto playlists. :)

I don't need for the layout to change when editing a song, such as it does for Classical music. I just want to keep this stuff out of my music branches.
You can just change your "Music" collection to exclude certain genres like "Standup Comedy" etc.
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Mark Colan

Post by Mark Colan »

I have seen some posts that suggest that Type is really just the same thing as Genre, so we should just make do with Genre. I disagree.

From my perspective, Type is distinct from Genre, as it implies different uses and behaviors that I would like to control, as they represent distinct and separate name spaces. I would like a different set of Genres from Types; I could easily imagine using some of the same Genres for different Types. You already allow me to distinguish between Music and Podcasts, but I can't have a type for Radio Programs or Old Time Radio, even though they are different from the other two and from each other in how I use them.

Yes, I can do a workaround by using filters based on Genre, but folks, this is an ugly kludge. If I create some "Type" genres to distinguish them, now I have some types as Type, and others as genre, and it's messy. As I look at it, Type seems like it should have been implemented as custom from the beginning. Hard-coded values often show up as a problem in any kind of program for reasons exactly like this.

Reconsidering Custom Type for MM4.1? That's fine, I can wait for that, but please do implement custom types it for MM4.1. Doing it right is just a small matter of coding. :D "Don't be afraid, you can do it!" --Saint Jobs
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

Mark Colan wrote:Yes, I can do a workaround by using filters based on Genre, but folks, this is an ugly kludge. If I create some "Type" genres to distinguish them, now I have some types as Type, and others as genre, and it's messy. As I look at it, Type seems like it should have been implemented as custom from the beginning. Hard-coded values often show up as a problem in any kind of program for reasons exactly like this.

Reconsidering Custom Type for MM4.1? That's fine, I can wait for that, but please do implement custom types it for MM4.1. Doing it right is just a small matter of coding. :D "Don't be afraid, you can do it!" --Saint Jobs
I couldn't agree more.
However this basic function Requirement has gone quiet.
Custom Type for MM4.1?
As my Mum said just to shut me up: You'll just have to wait and see.
And then the need gets ignored and forgotten about.