Can't set MM as the default media player

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tommycrock

Re: Can't set MM as the default media player

Post by tommycrock »

Me too. Good work MaxiM and thanks steviegt for saying it worked otherwise I wouldn't have tried it! (sorry MaxiM :wink:)
Can someone stick this in Mantis please.
P.S. I used build 1461 too
MaxiM

Post by MaxiM »

Have more faith in humanity Tommy, but I'm glad I could help you both (and myself in the process) ;)
tommycrock

Can't set MM as the default media player

Post by tommycrock »

Having installed build 1473 from fresh I could no longer set MM as the default media player as discussed in this post. It turned out that installing an older version and then reinstalling the latest version fixed it for me and several people. For MaxiM file associations also weren't working.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Hi Lowlander

I was posting under bug reports so it would get noticed as a bug and entered into Mantis. Was that not the right thing to do?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

No (http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =1&t=40381), topics can be moved if needed.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Fair enough, do you not think it should be moved?
GzyOnline

Post by GzyOnline »

MaxiM wrote:Ha! Update on the subject at hand.

Instead of further messing with registry, i've decided to find the oldest MM4 release, which was 4.0.1.1461. Uninstalled the 4.0.3 one, installed the oldie, and *ta-dam* it works. MM is now listed under Default Programs, it assotiates the files via Options no problem, all music registered files have their proper icons and so on. Seems to me that 4.0.3 installer is broken. Should be fairly easy to fix, but for pete's sake, do it. I know many less patient people who would uninstall this program and never come back after encountering something like this. And there's a saying that applies to this: 1 happy customer will bring 10 more; 1 unhappy customer will deter other 100 ;)

My system info just in case it's helpful: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Built 7601), Service Pack 1, GENUINE (not some pirated crap of unknown origin).

EDIT: Installing 4.0.3 over 4.0.1 also worked. Maybe many of you didn't noticed the problem because you started with the older version and upgraded.
Hey, this helped! Thank yoU!!.. This certainly is a bug in the latest MM 4.x release and developers should make note of this.. I installed MediaMonkey_4.0.3.1476 on a fresh Windows 7 64-bit OS install and the context menus, when selecting songs to play in Windows Explorer, have never come up.. How very sad and odd, seeing how this was an amazing and desired feature of MM and to see it not working or have gone away is just terrible! So THANKS, MaxiM!, I did as you instructed.. I uninstalled MM 4.0.3.1476, installed MM 4.0.0.1459, checked to see if the context menus appeared, and (as you expressed above) *ta-da!*, they appeared!!.. :-D.. I then re-installed MM 4.0.3.1476 over MM 4.0.0.1459 and the menus still remain! Now, I have yet to restart my system but hopefully when I do, they will not have gone away!.. Thank yoU!! and here is a screen shot of what I'm referring to:

nonob

Post by nonob »

Hi, thanks for this tip, i had a file association pb, i fixed it by uninstalling my MediaMonkey_4.0.3.1476, install a older release (MediaMonkey_4.0.0.1459), then by reinstalling the 1476.

Thanks
Website "Le Geek du Cerisier" : MediaMonkey
MMW on desktop PC: Windows 10, MB MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4), CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600G with Radeon Graphics 3.90 GHz, RAM DDR4 16 GB, SSD M.2 SK-Hynix SSS0L24765 512 GB (C:), 3,5" Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 1 To (D:)
MMA on 4 Android devices - MMW5 gold in test... - MMW4 gold used for years (with extensions: AdvancedReport, Album Art Tagger, CustomFieldsTagger, Custom Report, Discogs Tagger, French translation, GenreFinder, Last.fm Scrobbler, Lyricator, MM codec pack Trial, MusicBrainz Tagger, MusicIPTagger, RegExpFind and Replace, Tagging inconsistencies)