IOS 5 and MM sync

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

rycher

Re: IOS 5 and MM sync

Post by rycher »

I have an iPhone 4s with 5.0.1, jailbroken (which is why I don't have 5.1 as it's not jailbroken yet), Windows XP SP3, QuickTime 7.7.1 and iTunes 10.5 (didn't upgrade while waiting for news on MM4 sync, just in case), and MM4 does not recognize my iPhone.

I only had a very short time to try that last night. I also have the iTunes plugin installed, don't know if that could cause problems, or if iOS 5.1 is needed, or the latest iTunes.

For those that have MM4 recognize their iPhone, it would be useful to know the complete configuration details, i.e. iPhone model, iOS version, Windows version, iTunes version, QuickTime version, if you're jailbroken or not and if you have the iTunes plugin.

Hope to have it working soon!
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rycher wrote:I have an iPhone 4s with 5.0.1, jailbroken (which is why I don't have 5.1 as it's not jailbroken yet), Windows XP SP3, QuickTime 7.7.1 and iTunes 10.5 (didn't upgrade while waiting for news on MM4 sync, just in case), and MM4 does not recognize my iPhone.

I only had a very short time to try that last night. I also have the iTunes plugin installed, don't know if that could cause problems, or if iOS 5.1 is needed, or the latest iTunes.

For those that have MM4 recognize their iPhone, it would be useful to know the complete configuration details, i.e. iPhone model, iOS version, Windows version, iTunes version, QuickTime version, if you're jailbroken or not and if you have the iTunes plugin.

Hope to have it working soon!
iPhone 4, iOS 5.0.1, also jailbroken
Latest available iTunes AND Quicktime
iTunes plugin is installed, but disabled (whether this is installed/not installed, active or not will not affect the iPhone sync with MM)

When I plugged my phone into the computer with the latest MM beta MM did not recognize it immediately. I had to plug in the phone a good 2-3 times before it was recognized. It looked like windows was doing some kind of driver configuration and the last time I plugged it in MM recognized my iPhone.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
rycher

Post by rycher »

Ok, so I installed iTunes 10.6.1, and tried again, plugged and unplugged my iPhone 4S many times, but still not detected by MM.

I also have an iPod3G, iOS 5.0.1, that is detected by MM. I've had it for a while, and it already existed in MM from when it was on iOS4.3.5. I was wondering how MM handles multiple iOS, do they all work with the same d_iPhone.dll? To recognize multiple USB mass storage devices we have to copy d_USBMassX.dll as many times as we have devices (replacing X with a number). So I was wondering it something similar was required for idevices. If not, how can we distinguish/configure the sync behaviour for each device? My iPod seems tied to the d_iPhone.dll in the portable devices list...
patgaul

Post by patgaul »

I have an iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.1 and just tried out the latest beta (4.0.5.1482) debug version. Device is recognized.

MM didn't recognize the existing playlists on the iPhone (playlist node in the tree is empty), but could browse and play the media on the device. When I attempted to send a new playlist to the device, it appeared to do so - very, very, slowly. Took like 3-4 minutes to send 130 MB of media files. But in the end, the files didn't get sent to the iPhone. Playlist didn't appear either.

Obviously still some work to do, guys...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

patgaul wrote:Obviously still some work to do, guys...
Only with debug logs this work can be done: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rycher wrote:Ok, so I installed iTunes 10.6.1, and tried again, plugged and unplugged my iPhone 4S many times, but still not detected by MM.

I also have an iPod3G, iOS 5.0.1, that is detected by MM. I've had it for a while, and it already existed in MM from when it was on iOS4.3.5. I was wondering how MM handles multiple iOS, do they all work with the same d_iPhone.dll? To recognize multiple USB mass storage devices we have to copy d_USBMassX.dll as many times as we have devices (replacing X with a number). So I was wondering it something similar was required for idevices. If not, how can we distinguish/configure the sync behaviour for each device? My iPod seems tied to the d_iPhone.dll in the portable devices list...
All iOS devices are handled by the d_iPhone.dll plugin. In the event you have multiple iOS devices, the same plugin is used for each device but the settings are retained per device using the UDID (device identifier), which is unique to each device.

Please keep in mind that though iTunes can handle multiple iOS devices at a time, MM can only handle 1 at a time. So if you've plugged in an iPhone and an iPod touch, it will only be able to see one of them.

rycher

Post by rycher »

nohitter151 wrote:
rycher wrote: I was wondering how MM handles multiple iOS, do they all work with the same d_iPhone.dll?
All iOS devices are handled by the d_iPhone.dll plugin. In the event you have multiple iOS devices, the same plugin is used for each device but the settings are retained per device using the UDID (device identifier), which is unique to each device.

Please keep in mind that though iTunes can handle multiple iOS devices at a time, MM can only handle 1 at a time. So if you've plugged in an iPhone and an iPod touch, it will only be able to see one of them.
Thanks for the info. I only tried with one device plugged in at a time, so there is an issue recognizing my iPhone 4S. Got to try the debug mode.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

rycher wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:
rycher wrote: I was wondering how MM handles multiple iOS, do they all work with the same d_iPhone.dll?

Thanks for the info. I only tried with one device plugged in at a time, so there is an issue recognizing my iPhone 4S. Got to try the debug mode.
That was reported, it should be fixed in the next build. Something about the 4S was a little different and required a change in the plugin.

rycher

Post by rycher »

Ok, so I got the new build (4.0.5.1483). Now my iPhone 4S is detected, I can sync, but it does not work correctly.

I simply tried to sync an album. On MM side, it seems to work ok, the progress bar goes through all the songs. But once it's done, on the iphone I only have the first few songs, the last song appears in grey and can't be played (seems like it synced partially, enough for the iPhone to know it exists but not enough to play anything).

I tried it twice, the first time 3 songs were fully synced, the second time it synced one more song (each time with the follow song greyed out). And the second time there was a message on the iPhone that the sync didn't work properly.

I'm not sure what info I should try to get to help debug this.
azblk

Post by azblk »

New build working on iphone 4s. Thank you guys
rycher

Post by rycher »

azblk wrote:New build working on iphone 4s. Thank you guys
You were able to sync a full album ok?

I tried again, this time by selecting all the tracks of the album instead of the node album (in case it would make a difference), but got the same result, first 4 tracks sync ok but the rest doesn't. If I look at the iPhone from iTunes, I see all the tracks, but they are not playable.
azblk

Post by azblk »

rycher wrote:
azblk wrote:New build working on iphone 4s. Thank you guys
You were able to sync a full album ok?

I tried again, this time by selecting all the tracks of the album instead of the node album (in case it would make a difference), but got the same result, first 4 tracks sync ok but the rest doesn't. If I look at the iPhone from iTunes, I see all the tracks, but they are not playable.
Did not try an album but was able to sync multiple songs ( 20 or so) at the same time with no issues
bigbwb

Post by bigbwb »

Just tried latest beta 1483 on my iPhone 4S and it showed that it synced all 1200 songs from 2 separate playlists but after checking the iphone itself, only 143 songs showed up and no playlists?

Thoughts?

forgot more info:
using latest 5.1 on iphone and itunes 10.6 (latest one). Windows 7
Last edited by bigbwb on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
rycher

Post by rycher »

Just tried 1484:

-Still the same problem syncing, only the first few tracks of a whole album are synced properly.
-Tried tracks from another album, nothing got synced properly.
-Looking at the iPhone content from iTunes I see the tracks that do not appear on the iPhone itself. I deleted them, but now it's worse: tracks do not appear when looking through iTunes, but they still appear on the iPhone ?!?!? The few ones that did sync properly can be played and deleted on the iPhone, but the ones that had a problem syncing appear in grey and can't be deleted on the iPhone. So now I have content that can't be played and can't be delete from my iPhone...

Also, I just saw that I lost all the playlists on my iPhone :(

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.0.1 jailbroken, MM 4.0.5.1484, Win XP SP3
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Please send debug logs for issues you encounter to support.